Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Game Physics, Controls and Rules  (Read 2653 times)

Koh

Video Game Physics, Controls and Rules
« on: June 17, 2013, 04:11:18 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Let's discuss some major aspects of games that greatly affect how one would play them.

Controls
I feel like the controls shouldn't be too stiff, and the movement engine should be setup in such a way that it works with the game system.  For example...I feel the first Legend of Zelda's controls are way too stiff.  Link walks like he's on a grid (because he is), and that kind of movement just isn't suited for that type of combat system.  The same sort of problem occurs with Final Fantasy Adventure on Gameboy, and don't even get me started on the first StarTropics with that grid movement system.  Also, the controls should be responsive and not delayed to perform actions.  It's totally inexcusable to make a game where the action performs a second or two after you've already pressed the button.  There are many games I could use as an example that have bad control, such as Dark Castle on the Sega Genesis and any of the Action 52 games on NES.

Physics
As for the Physics...well they shouldn't be too floaty.  I can't stand it when you jump in games, and it's like...you're on the moon.  Cave Story is a good example of this, even though I love the game.  The objects should also have the same rules...it's really awkward to see the character push a crate or rock off of a cliff, only for it to fall like it's made of styrofoam or paper.  Also the character sliding around a lot like they're on ice, even when they aren't, is also something that's awkward.

Rules
The biggest offenses to gaming with this category are long games that don't have any sort of saving system, hard games that don't have any sort of extra lives or continue system or games that simply put way too much difficulty on the game.  An example of the first scenario would be Kid Chameleon on the Sega Genesis.  That game is long, and although you have extra lives and limited continues, it's still rough to actually finish it in one sitting, and once you turn off your Genesis, there's no way to get that progress back.  For the second scenario, Double Dragon 3 on NES is an example of that.  You get a health bar that drains fast, and no continues.  What some would call "extra lives" comes in the form of alternate characters who suck, except the Ninja.  The guy in a business suit is totally useless and slow against faster enemies.  As for the third and final scenario, Silver Surfer on NES is the ultimate example.  Anything you touch instant kills you (enemies, projectiles, walls, ceilings and floors), it's impossible to tell what's background and what's foreground, what you are and aren't allowed to touch, and the game is just maddeningly difficult.

---

What sort of expectations and limitations would you place on each category?  What would you consider the perfect balance and/or harmony between all three?
  • Megaclipse Games
Re: Video Game Physics, Controls and Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:07:16 pm »
  • Personal Saucier
I feel like the controls shouldn't be too stiff, and the movement engine should be setup in such a way that it works with the game system.  For example...I feel the first Legend of Zelda's controls are way too stiff.  Link walks like he's on a grid (because he is), and that kind of movement just isn't suited for that type of combat system. 

I think you make a really good point here about the type of combat system. It's interesting to observe the changes between Zelda 1 and Zelda LTTP, and how you are freed from that 'grid' and can be a bit more fluid in your movements. It's because of that which I believe led LTTP to its success.

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:10:17 pm »
  • I'm Pro!
Rules
The biggest offenses to gaming with this category are long games that don't have any sort of saving system, hard games that don't have any sort of extra lives or continue system or games that simply put way too much difficulty on the game.  An example of the first scenario would be Kid Chameleon on the Sega Genesis.  That game is long, and although you have extra lives and limited continues, it's still rough to actually finish it in one sitting, and once you turn off your Genesis, there's no way to get that progress back.  For the second scenario, Double Dragon 3 on NES is an example of that.  You get a health bar that drains fast, and no continues.  What some would call "extra lives" comes in the form of alternate characters who suck, except the Ninja.  The guy in a business suit is totally useless and slow against faster enemies.  As for the third and final scenario, Silver Surfer on NES is the ultimate example.  Anything you touch instant kills you (enemies, projectiles, walls, ceilings and floors), it's impossible to tell what's background and what's foreground, what you are and aren't allowed to touch, and the game is just maddeningly difficult.

I wish more games now a days were like this. now, i will agree some are maybe a little over the edge, like silver surfer, regardless i would rather have that challenge rather than the game beating itself without me actually doing work. Games are just too easy these in my opinion. I still find it funny when people complain they don't know what to do in games like those.

like this for instance.
Show content

haha, why can't metroid crawl? you mean samus?

now a good game i started playing lately is dark souls. it auto saves, but it is difficult, and every time you rest to heal or level or something. everything respawns. really fun.
  • Crim is Pro!

Koh

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:09:45 am »
  • Tamer Koh
But there's a difference between being challenging and just being a pain in the ass.  I liked Double Dragon 1 and 2, for example, but 3...just a waste of time.  Constantly having to see the same first levels again simply because there are no extra lives or continues, and the game is hard.  That's just sadistic =x.  I love a challenge, but I also like it to be fair.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 06:47:38 pm »
But there's a difference between being challenging and just being a pain in the ass.  I liked Double Dragon 1 and 2, for example, but 3...just a waste of time.  Constantly having to see the same first levels again simply because there are no extra lives or continues, and the game is hard.  That's just sadistic =x.  I love a challenge, but I also like it to be fair.

I assume you must think the original Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden trilogies are wastes of time as well as they are some of the hardest games ever created(within the context of still being a video game and not nonsense like IWBTG games).

Any AAA title I touch(touched a quite a few, but still missing some of the really hard ones :( ) with the hardest settings on today are snooze fests.  I slept through all Halos on legendary, all CoD games, I have even beaten Diablo 3 hardcore on Inferno on mp3.

Games today have nothing on the "skill" department that the 70s,80s,and 90s had to offer in videogames.  If anything, they need to step up the challenge on some games.  If people can't heck it, oh well.  I think I could honestly pull a 90%-of-games-are-watered-down percentage out of my ass and I probably wouldn't be too far off.  I am talking about the mainstream games.  Shouldn't have to dig through indie games lists to find challenging games.

Probably why I enjoy online FPS games alot is I love it when someone kicks my ass over and over and over for 30 minutes then I finally have them figured out so I get my revenge.  It was the same way when I was a kid growing up on NES and SNES.  Games would kick my ass, I'd get pissed and play them for hours on end just to beat one spot, then I would go ape !@#$% when I finally beat it.  Couldn't tell you a single game that has done that for me in the last 3 maybe 4 years.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Koh

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:10:39 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
At least with those games, you have extra lives and continues (except NG3, which can burn in hell).  There's room for human error, and certainly more leeway to not have to see the same first sets of levels over and over again.  That's all I need.  Give me extra lives and continues, and I'll gladly try to beat a hard game.  Take it away, and I won't ever touch it.  If it's going to be a long game like Kid Chameleon, give me a save system.  Otherwise, I'll be making my own through save states, so I can actually turn off the game and do other things while being able to pick up where I left off later.  I shouldn't have to make my own save system through the use of save states.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:13:10 pm by dlbrooks33 »
  • Megaclipse Games

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 06:54:05 am »
  • I'm Pro!
Probably why I enjoy online FPS games alot is I love it when someone kicks my ass over and over and over for 30 minutes then I finally have them figured out so I get my revenge.  It was the same way when I was a kid growing up on NES and SNES.  Games would kick my ass, I'd get pissed and play them for hours on end just to beat one spot, then I would go ape !@#$% when I finally beat it.  Couldn't tell you a single game that has done that for me in the last 3 maybe 4 years.

same here. that is pretty much the reason i play multiplayer over singleplayer now a days. more challenging. i too remember spending hours upon hours to beat just an area in some games. i don't know about you guys, but doing a normal run on super mario bros. 3 (no whistles for shortcuts) was rather difficult. i always had a hard time with world 6,7, and 8.
  • Crim is Pro!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 11:11:27 pm »
  • 笑い男
I feel like the controls shouldn't be too stiff, and the movement engine should be setup in such a way that it works with the game system.  For example...I feel the first Legend of Zelda's controls are way too stiff.  Link walks like he's on a grid (because he is), and that kind of movement just isn't suited for that type of combat system.

Well, I'm sure it'd be hell trying to get into a simple door if you had to get between the door frame with pixel precision. No idea if it would have been feasible to add pixel precision like checking and slide link into the right position when you hit a door frame like they do with ALTTP, but yeah, there are reasons for these things, reasons that exist so to make it seem like absolutely nothing is being done at all, which as we all know, is when it's all being done very well.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 53 queries.

anything