Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project of the Month  (Read 2769 times)

Project of the Month
« on: November 02, 2009, 04:55:59 am »
Project of the Month - October 2009

The Legend of Zelda: Flying Rooster

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_127st6Mo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_127st6Mo</a>

Forum Topic | Site Page

Developer: drandula
Language: Game Maker
First Posted: July 2nd, 2009
Last Update: October 18th, 2009

Most fangames at ZFGC are 2D by convention. This is mainly done for the ease of implementation in that 2D sprite rips exist which can help your project look somewhat official. 3D games have a stigma of being daunting to undertake, and very challenging to continue on and progress with. But sometimes a project that tries this ends up benefiting much for it.

October's Project of the Month is thus given to drandula's The Legend of Zelda: Flying Rooster. Graphically it is outstanding and it looks close to an official game. Additionally, there are implemented features in the game that a lot of 2D projects run into issues with and often give up on; e.g. pot throwing, transformation, rolling, etc. Flying Rooster also had a progress report update made during the month of October and has garnered significant user interest. It was nearly unanimously selected to be the Project of the Month, and represents the second 3D project to win this award.

Game Story/Plot

There is no current plot as the game is still early in development.

Recent Screenshots

Various screens depicting various things from Flying Rooster.

Developer Q & A

Q. Does the title "Flying Rooster" mean anything in particular?

A. No, it really doesn't mean anything important. In the start of making this project, I thought making a flying boat as a vehicle, which name would be Flying Rooster. My little brother made a model for me which can be found in the second room of the second demo. And I did need some kind of a project name, so I chose this but it will be changed later.

Q. How is it that you made your 3D models?

A. It isn't really that hard if you understand it. Link does have only 7 basic shapes: hat, head, body, hands, and legs. All, with the exception of the head, are cones.

Q. Was doing a 3D project difficult in Game Maker?

A.  I don't use "real" models, just Game Maker's basic shapes. When making models, you just see code of it until you test the game. Game Maker isn't really meant to be a 3D game maker due to its limitations. So it's sometimes pretty difficult, but I am doing the best I can.

Q. Were you influenced by Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks?

A. I have played Phantom Hourglass and yes, PH influenced me. In the beginning I thought about adding mouse-movement, but it was a bad idea so I discarded it. But all of this really just started as me showing off to my little brother that you can make easily Link in 3D and animate it.

Q. Based on the mask transformation concept, is your game "descended" from Majora's Mask?

A. It's like a sequel to Majora's Mask, but I haven't thought of the story yet. I was thinking of crossing it between Hyrule and Termina.

Q. Are you planning a Zora form for Link?

A.  I had initially thought of adding it, but I noticed it would be extremely difficult to do so. Modeling would be piece of cake, but animating it would be very difficult. Also, I don't know where I'd use it. If I need it later, I will make it when I am better at doing this.

Q. Will your project have mini-games or just a main quest?

A. I've given thought to adding some mini-games, like Goron-race and something like that. What kind of Zelda game would it be without sidequests?

Q. How is it that you're able to do most of this project on your own?

A. Sometimes it has been a pretty hard time for me, but I am making it little by little and I am not thinking of it as a whole, otherwise I would stress too much.

Q. But what about when real life gets really busy?

A. Then I would have to freeze the project as long as have to until I got more time for it.

Q. What other advice would you recommend to others working on projects?

A. Good luck with your own projects and hopefully my project inspires many people here.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:58:18 am by 4Sword »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: Project of the Month
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 07:43:49 am »
It was about time. This project is by far the best at zfgc.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 12:35:41 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
I agree, this looks amazing. Although the presence of a jump button in a zelda game terrifies me.  XD

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:39:43 pm »
  • Mr. Pixel
I have thought to use Rocs cape/feather instead, if I need jump.

Btw, I might get back from hospital at Friday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 45 queries.

anything