Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

What branch of Christianity are you?

Lutheran
- 2 (6.5%)
Baptist
- 3 (9.7%)
Catholic
- 7 (22.6%)
Methodist
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 9 (29%)
Not Christian
- 10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Christianity  (Read 7163 times)

Christianity
« on: December 28, 2006, 05:52:26 am »
Okay...time for another religious debate, but this time it's got a poll! The question is simple: Did God mean for there to be multiple versions of Christianity? I mean it's kinda like...His religion...why is it still seperated?

Backstory: I was at work...and these church people came in...apparently one was a missionary going to Ukraine soon...they started talking to me...and asked me what church I went to and stuff...and started trying to throw THEIR church onto me, even though I told them that I was very hooked on my church and didn't want to change. They handed me a little pamphlet on their Baptist church anyway. I'm Lutheran. I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to force their section of the religion onto mine...but whatever. Their damnation. So yeah...that's the reason for my pondering. Should we have different versions of the same religion? Discuss!
Image Hosted at ImageHosting.us
Re: Christianity
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 05:54:48 am »
It's separated because the Catholic Church went corrupted and Martin Luther wanted to purify the church. Everyone copied Martin Luther and made their own chruch.

And Eastern Orthodox comes from the capital of the Roman Empire being changed to the city of Constantine long ago.

The Catholic Church is fine for the most part nowadays.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 05:57:13 am by Comrade Kesha »
  • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 06:03:48 am »
if there is a god, I believe no religion is necessary.
1 or 100 religions, it makes no difference spiritually, all it does is complicate everything else.

and I think to say christianity is god's religion is very ignorant, I mean, all religions claim this, but no one has any right regardless of their religion to say anything on behalf of the god they believe in

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 06:32:45 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
I would say that I'm an Other. This is because, while I believe in God and have accepted him, I find the mainstream religions are more focused on trying to become better than the others, so I don't follow them. Rather, I follow my own religion: Cronianism. :P
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 06:40:39 am »
I would say that I'm an Other. This is because, while I believe in God and have accepted him, I find the mainstream religions are more focused on trying to become better than the others, so I don't follow them. Rather, I follow my own religion: Cronianism. :P

<sarcasm> You'll regret not being a part of TheDarkJayism, heretic!</sarcasm>

but really, I'm an atheist, and I think that religion is just leftover bits from the infancy of our civilization. It's just superstition; We don't need it anymore, because we have much much better explanations on how the world works.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 06:51:43 am »
Meh, I can believe science for most things: evolution has some solid factual evidence, and we can't rule out most of the idea of how to universe came to be. When I associate God with something, it's usually an emotional or personal thing.

*draws sword* Bring it, TheDarkJayist!
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 02:57:47 pm »
Okay...this isn't an argument about how stupid Christianity is...I already know all the views on that. I'm wanting to know why we need all the different branches of Christianity.

The comment about Martin Luther branching off makes sense...but it's kind of odd that he was the first...I mean Martin Luther was a smart man (not just saying that cause I'm Lutheran), and you'd think he'd realize that Christianity is simply that: The belief in God. To stray from that, even if it is just because the Catholic church went to Hell (no pun intended), seems kinda blasphemous. I mean how do so many different religions read from the same book...and get different meanings? I understand the Bible only says what you interpret it to say, but some of the things that the different branches interpret it to is crazy. I don't believe everything that Lutherans believe, or Baptists, or Catholics. I don't know enough about Methodists or any other Christian religions. If anything...I'd say I'm just Christian. We need to bring that back...get rid of the bogus "Oh, I'm Baptist...I can't fraternize with a Lutheran!" or "I'm Catholic, I'm better than all of you because God says so" it's all crap...we're all branches of the same tree...what's happened to our roots?

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 07:10:10 pm »
You're cool. *sigs*

I agree 100%.

(!@#$%)

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 07:30:51 pm »
Well, from my perspective of being a former Christian, I would say that all of Christianity's divisions come from either corruption or selfishness.  The major divisions where caused by religious leaders who became corrupted with power even though they were supposedly "close to God", and the lesser divisions came from individuals who thought that they could do it better or from social interpretation (African American Baptists who sing in church and get some inspiration from African ancestory).

Looking at it further though, the separation could have also started by two things: literal and implied meanings of the writing.  One side was basing their idea on proof, and the other was basing their side on fanciful ideas and whimsical dreams.

It is kind of funny though, in my opinion.  Whose right and who is wrong?  Almost all Christians who wonder about other Christians think that they are the right ones.  I mean, "what the hell is wrong with my way of doing things, why do they have to be different".  You guys could never agree on a single understanding of the Bible and that is funny to me.  Overall though, I would say that since there is no God, then there is no one to give a !@#$%, but I guess I will say that if there is a god, then he really would not want all of your pansy asses singing songs and trying to be his !@#$%.  Seriously, you believe he is a god and he wants to hear you singing, WTF, according to you, his voice could kill you, so you better pray he does not represent. 
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 04:15:53 am »
  • sorry for messing up the image for an avy torch...
according to you, his voice could kill you, so you better pray he does not represent. 
I remember that from a movie i think... i think it was called Dogma or something to that effect.

Anyway, I guess me, and everybody at my church for that matter, is 'other'. We treat all forms of Christianity as one and it is all the same to us. All we care about is that you believe in God, and that you can have a valid point when you decide your own reason that something is written in the bible.

(2:03:18 AM) ***Shun_Nakamura hands Zero and ldxmzg boxes of marijuana
Ill treasure it forever
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 05:11:26 am »
Well, from my perspective of being a former Christian, I would say that all of Christianity's divisions come from either corruption or selfishness.  The major divisions where caused by religious leaders who became corrupted with power even though they were supposedly "close to God", and the lesser divisions came from individuals who thought that they could do it better or from social interpretation (African American Baptists who sing in church and get some inspiration from African ancestory).

Looking at it further though, the separation could have also started by two things: literal and implied meanings of the writing.  One side was basing their idea on proof, and the other was basing their side on fanciful ideas and whimsical dreams.

It is kind of funny though, in my opinion.  Whose right and who is wrong?  Almost all Christians who wonder about other Christians think that they are the right ones.  I mean, "what the hell is wrong with my way of doing things, why do they have to be different".  You guys could never agree on a single understanding of the Bible and that is funny to me.  Overall though, I would say that since there is no God, then there is no one to give a poo, but I guess I will say that if there is a god, then he really would not want all of your pansy asses singing songs and trying to be his bish.  Seriously, you believe he is a god and he wants to hear you singing, WTF, according to you, his voice could kill you, so you better pray he does not represent. 

So you're saying that Christianity has branched out because everyone wants to think they're right and everyone else is wrong? Two problems with that:
1. God is right. Christians know that. That's why we follow him.
2. If everyone DID think they were right...then we would all have our own branches. But we don't...there's just a few of them, and large groups of people follow them because it best fits their lifestyle.

The ones that don't want to try too hard become Lutheran (hey, I can diss my own branch), while the elitists...the TRUE Jesus freaks are Baptist. They stand up and sing their praises loud and clear...I used to go to a Baptist bible study...they get into it. Catholics, on the other hand, are the corruptists. They basically make up their own crap about the bible, because they're Catholic and they can. They say "You split from us...we are the almighty" to the other branches. But they're all wrong...I don't think any branch interprets the bible correctly, mainly because it can't be interpreted correctly and still apply to our lives NOW. It was meant for a different demographic...we just kinda infer stuff now.

Which is why I think we need a new branch...the Euro of Christianity (in case that doesn't make sense...think of Europe, all those different countries with their money, all united into one...with one money, the euro). We need to combine the good ideas of all the branches, find a common ground on the areas they differ...and start a new religious order, where all Christians agree with each other. Cause that's God's plan...I can kind of understand different religions fighting over who's god is better...but the same religion fighting with itself? That's just ridiculous.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 05:31:22 am »
Okay...time for another religious debate, but this time it's got a poll! The question is simple: Did God mean for there to be multiple versions of Christianity? I mean it's kinda like...His religion...why is it still seperated?

Backstory: I was at work...and these church people came in...apparently one was a missionary going to Ukraine soon...they started talking to me...and asked me what church I went to and stuff...and started trying to throw THEIR church onto me, even though I told them that I was very hooked on my church and didn't want to change. They handed me a little pamphlet on their Baptist church anyway. I'm Lutheran. I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to force their section of the religion onto mine...but whatever. Their damnation. So yeah...that's the reason for my pondering. Should we have different versions of the same religion? Discuss!

"Did God mean for there to be multiple versions of Christianity?"

My question back to you is, did God mean for there to be multiple religions that follow him? Lets not just be close minded and include only Christianity, what about Muslims? That branches into two separate sects there. How about Jewish people?

This poll is pointless, offensive, and degrading.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 05:37:59 am by Andrew »
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 05:43:45 am »
Religion is simply a set of morals that people decide to follow. But you have the extremists who are all "LOL IM GONNA KILL U CUZ U IS <insert religion here> AND I IS <insert religion here>!!!11!111!!!11one!" which is why I don't claim to belong to any of 'em. Break free...don't listen to the man. d(oo)d

(!@#$%)

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 06:10:22 am »
So you're saying that Christianity has branched out because everyone wants to think they're right and everyone else is wrong? Two problems with that:
2. If everyone DID think they were right...then we would all have our own branches. But we don't...there's just a few of them, and large groups of people follow them because it best fits their lifestyle
Your first point is invalid.  All branches of Christianity believe in God, as it is indirectly implied by their names.  In fact, I did not dispute that or even call it into question; I was implying that an individual thinks his or her interpretation is right.  Your second point is also invalid.  Sects of Christianity are groups: groups with leaders.  Every group has a local flavor and a different way of doing things.  The division may have been inspired by an individual, but it only counts as a religion if many people follow it.  Otherwise, it is just a personal theology.  Most people who follow a religion are not doing it because it is a lifestyle, as that would imply individual choice, but those who do follow are doing it out of a peer pressure.

Also, this unification thing you call for; WTF.  Settling on a single interpretation would not be possible.  Groups think that they are right, and for them to give up what separates them would cause problems.  Who would be more worthy?  Who would be more devout?  Who would be the weak man out?

The rest if it I do not even feel like talking about.  Not because I cannot, but because doing so would make me feel smart.
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 04:57:43 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Cool, my own joke religion has been mentioned in this topic :P hehehe...

I'm atheist, and my opinion on religion is this:

Long ago, a tribe lived in a valley. All they knew was the valley, it was their world. They would thank the valley for giving them a home, and providing animals and plants food, a stream for water etc. The sun rose above the valley, before setting. Because, much like the valley, man didn't understand what the sun was, they would thank it for passing over their valley. Everything, clouds, rain, etc. were seen like this. So, eventually they began to worship the sun, the valley, the rain, the animals, etc. Boom, religion at it's very basics was born.

Now, for the 'religious rules'. Well, with nothing to stop them, people would cheat, steal and murder their way around the valley. Until one 'respectable and wise-man' decided "enough was enough", and realised that these people (i'm sooo tempted to add simple or weak-minded, but I won't) would believe him if he told them that if they did these things: *insert list of things here*, then they would be damned for all eternity, and when they died they would go to some very bad place to be tortured for all eternity. Of course, people needed extra reason to be good, so the wise man said that they would go to paradise if they didn't break the rules.

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 05:13:36 pm »
  • With a Capital G
FYI Zerolink, there aren't just a few branches of Christianity. There are over 30,000 worldwide.
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 10:33:12 pm »
2. If everyone DID think they were right...then we would all have our own branches. But we don't...there's just a few of them, and large groups of people follow them because it best fits their lifestyle
Your first point is invalid.  All branches of Christianity believe in God, as it is indirectly implied by their names.  In fact, I did not dispute that or even call it into question; I was implying that an individual thinks his or her interpretation is right.  Your second point is also invalid.  Sects of Christianity are groups: groups with leaders.  Every group has a local flavor and a different way of doing things.  The division may have been inspired by an individual, but it only counts as a religion if many people follow it.  Otherwise, it is just a personal theology.  Most people who follow a religion are not doing it because it is a lifestyle, as that would imply individual choice, but those who do follow are doing it out of a peer pressure.

Also, this unification thing you call for; WTF.  Settling on a single interpretation would not be possible.  Groups think that they are right, and for them to give up what separates them would cause problems.  Who would be more worthy?  Who would be more devout?  Who would be the weak man out?

The rest if it I do not even feel like talking about.  Not because I cannot, but because doing so would make me feel smart.

I understand the problems of the unification...I'm not saying it's possible. I'm just saying it's what needs to happen to end the debate of 'my religion is better than yours, neener neener'. I mean I think the same thing about money. I hate money...if I had my say, we would be Socialist, if it could ever work. Everyone equal, no one worrying about being poor...no one being held on some high freaking pedestal because they're rich...everyone equal, how we're meant to be. Same with religion. For all of us to be equal...we have to have equal beliefs. There can't be any "Oh, I'm better than you because I'm Catholic" or "Psh...you're JEWISH? You don't believe in Jesus, you suck!" It's all stupid and childish. We all need to grow up and realize that the only truth is that God exists. Yes, I said it Athiests. God exists. Deal with it. We don't know if any of the accounts in the bible are real, and so to argue and war over them is childish. Fighting over words is like giving candy to a kid that can't taste. Sure...they can eat it, but what's the point?
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 03:14:52 am »
Zerolink, I would of lost all respect for you from that last post of yours, but I have virtually no more respect to lose.  The ideals of Socialism are a good thing, but practically they are impossible on a grand scale.  Individual people will always think they are superior to something else, and there is no incentive to do anything in life in a Socialist state.  The general fact is that people only try through pressure and a state of contentment never drives anybody.  Capitalism encourages people to work, and they have to make sacrafices when they want to buy something.  It is not like poor people are shunned.  The United States, for example, works to improve poverty life and seek its elimination. 

So, what you are saying though is that for all of human kind to be equal, we must all be under the same beliefs?  That is a sad statement.  I could even make the argument that different beliefs strengthen each other because they give an individual something to be or not be.  Saying we should all be the same in belief is a bad thing to say.  How are everyone going to be the same?  I know, we could kill all the non-believers!  The only problem is to do that is to violate your own religion, and nobody likes a hypocrite.

And I find it dumb for you to be criticizing religions strong opinions that they are the right belief when you yourself proclaim your belief to be the one truth.  Tolerance my ass.  Also, please quit being so tuned into your side that you !@#$% it as if it were everything.  Forcing your beliefs on others is intolerant and since this is the debates board, you should be acceptant to others beliefs, and by that I mean you are allowed to have your own and not put down others.

I find one of your last sentences funny though.  The one that says how you do not know if parts of the Bible are true and yet you believe it is the word of God handed down and delivered by his believers.  Well, I guess that could be vague as the New Testament is just passages dealing with peoples' accounts rather than direct God stuff.  But still, everything else should be true, unto you, because your religion says the word of God is infoulable.

So please, let us all be nice so I do not have to lock this topic.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 03:29:06 am »
socialism can exist but just by robots, they will harvest they willl do all, but we will feel superiors. I do have to say that yeah religion do sucks, mostly for the wars it has causes, but now on we don't do fights for religion, well except in asia >_<, i do have to say that now that religious war ended we are in a time in which we are trying to stop racism, religious problems,etc. In a future im sure we will be able to start a type of socialism, it didn't work in the past mostly because we had wars and racism it was imposible to do socialism.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 03:33:13 am »
Kren, I do not know if it is because of your translation or English, but there are a lot of religious wars today.  In fact, this is is probably the apex of religious fanaticism.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 80 queries.

anything