Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII  (Read 3248 times)

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
Final Fantasy XII
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:40:28 am »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
So today I was waiting at Gamestop early this morning for them to open and I snagged a Collectors Edition of FFXII and a Strat Guide for 20% off. I spent all of today bringing out my nerdyness, which I haven't done in awhile. I spent 7 straight hours playing and the funny thing my PS2 wasn't even warm. Well anyways FFXII is freaking amazing! I was kind of iffy at first on the new battle system but it's so much fun, it still plays like a Final Fantasy game just you aren't contained in one space. For those who have played FFXI it's basically just like that except the animations and time fighting is a lot smoother, plus it's easier to level up. (I remember fighting the same 3 monsters on FFXI to finally get to level 10 so I could use a Greatsword...) They also have this new feature known as a License board which is basically like a sphere grid, but you still gain levels, the license board is just for skills and the weapons you can use. With the characters though they are so flexible, you basically can plot their progress and choose what you want them to do. Like for instance the main character Vaan, you can make him a great swordsman with white and black magick (yes its Magick in FFXII) Like as of right now I have cure, fire, blizzard, and thunder and they get great amounts of damage and so does his attack. The story itself is really good as well, I'm not even a fourth of the way through and there's been so many twists in the plot, and the dialouge is just right, even the voice acting is better, there's a lot more personality in all the voices, not just the same five people playing all sorts of odd roles.

But here's some downers..
They went back to the good old Esper name for the summons except..... THEY DON'T HAVE ANY OF THE ORIGINALS!!!! I miss my Ifrit, Shiva, and Ramuh! No Carbuncle, Alexander, Bahmut, or anything. I think the only one they've used before was.... well I take that back he was a boss, anyways Ultima is also a summon. I think that's about all that's bad, I can't really diss a game that put me back into my RPG state of mind, lately I was just straying away from most RPGs but FFXII brought me back to it.

Overall FFXII is a brilliant game and I have still yet to beat it, once I finish the game i will let everyone know how it was overall.
Pixelated Tree. | I make crappy Youtube videos now.
XBL- aaronshatonyou | PSN- cpt ehren | Steam- cptehren
  • Pixelated Tree
Re: Final Fantasy XII
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:46:48 am »
It lacks Nobuo. Severly.
  • Google Profile

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:57:35 am »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
It lacks Nobuo. Severly.

yes I haven't really payed attention to the music, kinda sounds like FFXI stuff though. I think they also had a few other important staff members leave. I did like the fact that they went back to the knights and everything.
  • Pixelated Tree

Rukario_Master82394

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 02:46:56 am »
So today I was waiting at Gamestop early this morning for them to open and I snagged a Collectors Edition of FFXII and a Strat Guide for 20% off. I spent all of today bringing out my nerdyness, which I haven't done in awhile. I spent 7 straight hours playing and the funny thing my PS2 wasn't even warm. Well anyways FFXII is freaking amazing! I was kind of iffy at first on the new battle system but it's so much fun, it still plays like a Final Fantasy game just you aren't contained in one space. For those who have played FFXI it's basically just like that except the animations and time fighting is a lot smoother, plus it's easier to level up. (I remember fighting the same 3 monsters on FFXI to finally get to level 10 so I could use a Greatsword...) They also have this new feature known as a License board which is basically like a sphere grid, but you still gain levels, the license board is just for skills and the weapons you can use. With the characters though they are so flexible, you basically can plot their progress and choose what you want them to do. Like for instance the main character Vaan, you can make him a great swordsman with white and black magick (yes its Magick in FFXII) Like as of right now I have cure, fire, blizzard, and thunder and they get great amounts of damage and so does his attack. The story itself is really good as well, I'm not even a fourth of the way through and there's been so many twists in the plot, and the dialouge is just right, even the voice acting is better, there's a lot more personality in all the voices, not just the same five people playing all sorts of odd roles.

They went back to the good old Esper name for the summons except..... THEY DON'T HAVE ANY OF THE ORIGINALS!!!! I miss my Ifrit, Shiva, and Ramuh! No Carbuncle, Alexander, Bahmut, or anything. I think the only one they've used before was.... well I take that back he was a boss, anyways Ultima is also a summon. I think that's about all that's bad, I can't really diss a game that put me back into my RPG state of mind, lately I was just straying away from most RPGs but FFXII brought me back to it.

Overall FFXII is a brilliant game and I have still yet to beat it, once I finish the game i will let everyone know how it was overall.

... No Ifrit now? NOOOO!!!

Anyways, I don't think I'll get this game. I mean, I REALLY want it, but that means I'd have to get ANOTHER PS2 controller & Memory Card. But I think it'd be a good game.

Also, I was looking at an ad for the game in Game INformer, and I noticed somethin in the rating box thing. Yep, you know what I'm talkin bout. Hope it ain't alot and/or too 'graphic'. Me no like those games (Except GTA: SA. That game rox because of the killing & destruction. MUA, HAHAHA.).

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 05:45:40 am »
  • I'm here for the Bacon

... No Ifrit now? NOOOO!!!

Anyways, I don't think I'll get this game. I mean, I REALLY want it, but that means I'd have to get ANOTHER PS2 controller & Memory Card. But I think it'd be a good game.

Also, I was looking at an ad for the game in Game INformer, and I noticed somethin in the rating box thing. Yep, you know what I'm talkin bout. Hope it ain't alot and/or too 'graphic'. Me no like those games (Except GTA: SA. That game rox because of the killing & destruction. MUA, HAHAHA.).

It's not that too graphic or anything right now, at least. I'm about two fifths of the way through (The strat has the game walkthrough split up into 5 different colors, and so far I've got a few pages of the second color, or 'chapter', to go.

and as for the music, I paid more attention to it, yeah.....you can tell the composer isn't as all as talented as Nobuo, I mean the music is good but not fantastic.

and the bonus dvd=rocks, it goes through all the FF games EXCEPT the legends and adventures series on the gb, and mystic quest. (Basically one thru 13, tactics and Tactics Advanced, I hadn't played the original tactics in so long, I didn't know it was the same world as Tactics Advanced and FFXII :o)

ok so I finally stopped playing at midnight, now to sleep.....AND PLAY MORE TOMORROW, OH I'M SO GLAD I GRADUATED!!!!!! W00TTTT!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 07:31:31 pm »

Well... the summons ARE in the game, just not literally. Like most of the empire's airships are named after summons like Ifrit, Ramora, Shiva, Ramuh, and so forth. It's just that the summons themself aren't there anymore. If you've played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, you'd recognise the summon names in FFXII. ;) You'd also recognise two other characters in the game too, I'm not trying to give anything away, so find out for yourselves! ;D
  • RPG Empire
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 07:43:16 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Whothefux is ramora?

It's good to see they have kept most of the summons from the earlier games :P

Busternaut

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 07:49:38 pm »
that's awesome Montblanc and his younger brother are in the game... Montblanc looks awesome.

i have yet to get the game though.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 07:52:23 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Same. I haven't bought it eather. I might though. By your description hb, it looks really good!

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 01:25:01 am »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
Well... the summons ARE in the game, just not literally. Like most of the empire's airships are named after summons like Ifrit, Ramora, Shiva, Ramuh, and so forth. It's just that the summons themself aren't there anymore. If you've played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, you'd recognise the summon names in FFXII. ;) You'd also recognise two other characters in the game too, I'm not trying to give anything away, so find out for yourselves! ;D

Yeah I just miss seeing how they got a new look, I don't want them to be airships  >:( I have Tactics Advance but I haven't played it in forever. I did realize some of them were from tactics later on after i posted this.

Whothefux is ramora?

Ramora is from one of the earlier ones I believe, and they didn't keep the original summons, they named airships after them.

And on a final note...

I don't like cid in this one, he's always helpful to the hero but in this one he's a bad guy but I dunno he might change later.
  • Pixelated Tree

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 03:26:06 am »
  • b e p i s
Same. I haven't bought it eather. I might though. By your description hb, it looks really good!

I need more income so badly T_T
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 12:19:08 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon

I need more income so badly T_T

me too, I'm actually unemployed and need to save my money but it's Final Fantasy XII and i couldn't wait  :P
  • Pixelated Tree

Gilgamesh

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 12:27:36 pm »
It's games like this that make me want to get a PS2 ASAP.
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 05:25:12 pm »
I really want this game, but I'm afraid of two things:

1) If I buy it I won't have the cash for the Wii (I haven't been working much lately because the school play is coming up and I've been really busy)

2) I'm not sure I'd be able to find the time to play it. I have three groups of friends that I try to hang out with, I've been at school until 10 PM for the past week for play practice, and I usually work 25 hours a week. Not to mention that I still have school to worry about.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 05:39:31 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
I really want this game, but I'm afraid of two things:

1) If I buy it I won't have the cash for the Wii (I haven't been working much lately because the school play is coming up and I've been really busy)

2) I'm not sure I'd be able to find the time to play it. I have three groups of friends that I try to hang out with, I've been at school until 10 PM for the past week for play practice, and I usually work 25 hours a week. Not to mention that I still have school to worry about.

I got your solutions!
1)Find a friend whos getting a Wii and just hang out with them all day and play it haha, I was going to get a Wii too but I don't have the $ to get it so a band mate said something about getting a Wii and Zelda so I'm just going to experience the Wiiness with my friend. And yes school is complicating, i'm in college and it's a pain trying to get stuff done.

2) You always have enough time for some FF funness, as for friends I dunno and my gf is doing the same thing with their musical so I haven't been able to see her all week, which kinda left me open for FFXII.

Also some things I noticed, the fighting system is so smooth and your mp charges based on your stepping so you never really have to worry about healing items because you basically have an unlimited supply of cure from the start (well you have to buy it and then get the license for it) In most situations before i progress though when I'm in a dungeon I usually heal everyone then run around in a circle for about 2 mins and presto their mps back and we're ready to go. oh and it isn't Magic Points anymore, it's Mist Points lol

and right now I'm about halfway through the game, I would say my location but they have some crazy names. It's like the Nau-West Sandsea or something...
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 07:16:21 pm »
Whothefux is ramora?

Ramora is an Esper (Summon) from Final Fantasy VI. It's one of the earliest ones in the game I believe too.
  • RPG Empire

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 10:21:46 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
Whothefux is ramora?

Ramora is an Esper (Summon) from Final Fantasy VI. It's one of the earliest ones in the game I believe too.

Nope thats Ramuh I believe Ramora was in 4 or 5 I'm not too sure.
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 12:00:54 am »
Well, a few days ago I was dropping my sister off at the mall, and decided that I haven't played a good, polished RPG since Xenosaga III, so I decided to pick it up, emptying my wallet in the process. But overall, I'm glad I spent the cash. I'm already a good 8/9 hours into the game, and am loving it dearly.

The combat system is beautiful. Battles move quickly and seamlessly, and I've hardly run from a single one (whereas in most FF games I start getting frustrated by the long, repetitive random battles and start running). Quite the contrary, I'm searching for fights, because that way I can get license points or build up a huge chain (my highest chain is nearly 50!) and get tons of items and experience, with hardly any effort. Thanks to the amazing gambit system, you could get through a whole battle without pushing a button, but somehow still feel involved. Gambits or not, you can always control any character on the field completely, and with the gambit system you can expertly program their actions, almost like you're making your own AI. This way each character behaves exactly how you want it to. And the more gambits you get, the more customization available. I must say, I'm completely blown away by the gambit system as much as I am by any other aspect of the game: the graphics, the music (nothing particularly special, but still good nonetheless), the cinematics, everything.

If you have money and love RPGs: BUY THIS GAME!!

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

-X-

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 03:11:59 am »
This game looks good (but unfortunately I don't have a PS2 as of yet). From what I've seen the graphics look amazing, and new battle systems are always a good thing.

The only things I've read that I don't like about the game, I want my summons back :P, How could they take away all of the espers we know and love?

I really hope the music is at least decent, even the best of games can be pulled down by crappy music

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 06:56:10 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
Well, a few days ago I was dropping my sister off at the mall, and decided that I haven't played a good, polished RPG since Xenosaga III, so I decided to pick it up, emptying my wallet in the process. But overall, I'm glad I spent the cash. I'm already a good 8/9 hours into the game, and am loving it dearly.

The combat system is beautiful. Battles move quickly and seamlessly, and I've hardly run from a single one (whereas in most FF games I start getting frustrated by the long, repetitive random battles and start running). Quite the contrary, I'm searching for fights, because that way I can get license points or build up a huge chain (my highest chain is nearly 50!) and get tons of items and experience, with hardly any effort. Thanks to the amazing gambit system, you could get through a whole battle without pushing a button, but somehow still feel involved. Gambits or not, you can always control any character on the field completely, and with the gambit system you can expertly program their actions, almost like you're making your own AI. This way each character behaves exactly how you want it to. And the more gambits you get, the more customization available. I must say, I'm completely blown away by the gambit system as much as I am by any other aspect of the game: the graphics, the music (nothing particularly special, but still good nonetheless), the cinematics, everything.

If you have money and love RPGs: BUY THIS GAME!!

I agree with all that, except I haven't played Xenosaga III...
I love the combat system I used to run a lot too the random battles gets annoying.
  • Pixelated Tree
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 77 queries.

anything