Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII  (Read 4180 times)

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
Final Fantasy XIII
« on: March 10, 2010, 04:26:23 am »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
So i got this at midnight launch (Xbox 360, collectors edition strat guide as well) Its pretty good so far, linear for awhile but apparently opens up a bit later in the game, although its linear it really works out for the story. graphics are good, this isnt me saying ZOMG BETTER THAN PS3 because facts wise its not lol. you can really tell the video is compressed if youre close to the screen and mainly during cutscenes. On my 23 in monitor i can notice it, on the 47 in DLP i cant. My roommate got the ps3 copy but i have yet to see it on our 47 in LCD.

Anyone else get this though, and some thoughts on it?
Pixelated Tree. | I make crappy Youtube videos now.
XBL- aaronshatonyou | PSN- cpt ehren | Steam- cptehren
  • Pixelated Tree
Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:53:21 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
360 version is 576p. PS3 is 720p.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 08:17:45 am »
  • Team Dekunutz
I thought it was 1080p on ps3? Correct me if mistaken.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:20:24 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I thought it was 1080p on ps3? Correct me if mistaken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII

Says there :P
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:23:39 am »
  • Team Dekunutz

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 08:26:10 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
It's because both versions allow dynamic up-scaling. It's not actually rendered at that resolution :P
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 08:28:14 am »
  • Team Dekunutz
Alright, thanks for the info mammy.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 06:00:02 pm »
Thinking about getting this and the new Star Ocean...been out of the JRPG loop since FF3DS >_<

Oh does this have an world map style thing (er...) (like in FF7) cos I heard they'd removed it or something...
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 09:28:44 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
10 and 12 didn't have a world map like the old ones, did they?  I'm fairly certain they didn't...
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 09:31:03 pm »
As far as I'm aware of there is no world map, but I haven't made it that far yet. Got it yesterday for PS3 and I'm enjoying it so far. It was kinda fun seeing the differences in the Japanese demo and the opening of the game. Just made it to the beginning of Chapter 3, gonna play a bit more today.
  • https://colbydude.com

DeathTailsz

Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 09:28:09 am »
  • Angelic Hymn
My soul died out of how much win and effort was put in compared to 12.   12 was such a failbomb.

Character designs are cool.
I love how Sazh carries around a baby Chocobo, and that his Crystal-Genesis is a chocobo feather.
Hope isn't much of a Hopeful person, is he?
Vanille has some screws loose.  She also has a cutsy/british voice actor.

The Battle system is directed by the same guy who did FFX, which is cool.
Music is very well done.
I like the in-game dialogue.

I like the ability to shift classes during combat at any time.
The only thing I wish is that it could be Tales of Symphonia styled Co-op/3/4/Live/PSNetwork multiplayer.  It would have worked in FF12 aswell.

I like the fact that it isn't 12, x100.

Also, people don't know how to except FF13 on the Xbox360.   Some guy said that "Because it's multiplatform it's going to suck".

Excuuuuse me for not being rich enough to own a PS3/Xbox360 at the same time. :S  I believe Square made a good decision to make it multiplatform, that way I don't have to miss out on it like I did with FF9 and FF10.

I also got a laugh at this comment, "Just to keep tradition, I'm going to play it on the Playstation 3, were it originally came from."
Someone didn't do there research. xD

"More like Stupei Ace Defective!" - Yukari - Persona 3
  • StarFox 2D
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 11:12:27 am »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
I've been playing it at a friends and I have to say, I'm not very impressed. I dont think its bad, but nothing particular to shout about. A lot seems to have just been copied from older FF games and given a higher poly-count and resolution. Gonna go play some more later, so maybe that will change things, but I'm not feeling particularly driven to go complete it. Whereas I'm also playing Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, and I'm loving that, its nearly as good as ToS.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 03:14:34 pm »
  • b e p i s
I think it looks like a pretty dumb game, honestly. SquareSoft is still out of touch with what made their company great back in the 90s. And apparently, this is the most linear FF yet...as if JRPGs needed to be MORE linear, right?
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 07:00:46 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Give me a good old FF game where you can do anything in nearly any order until you had to go to the progression dungeon to move on with the storyline. Like in FF5 where you can go to Tule before the Wind Shrine; or FF7 where the Chocobo Farm was optional, or Fort Condor first time, or the Gold Saucer for most of the game; or FF9 where the Chocobo missions are optional, or the frog hunting.... You get the idea. We need semi-linearity here once more!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

DeathTailsz

Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 08:07:59 pm »
  • Angelic Hymn
Give me a good old FF game where you can do anything in nearly any order until you had to go to the progression dungeon to move on with the storyline. Like in FF5 where you can go to Tule before the Wind Shrine; or FF7 where the Chocobo Farm was optional, or Fort Condor first time, or the Gold Saucer for most of the game; or FF9 where the Chocobo missions are optional, or the frog hunting.... You get the idea. We need semi-linearity here once more!

I agree with both of you on that one.   Some variety of what we can do instead of going down a straight path. xD

"More like Stupei Ace Defective!" - Yukari - Persona 3
  • StarFox 2D

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 08:51:57 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I think it looks like a pretty dumb game, honestly. SquareSoft is still out of touch with what made their company great back in the 90s. And apparently, this is the most linear FF yet...as if JRPGs needed to be MORE linear, right?

Well; they're all linear :P That's why they're event based RPGs... But, in terms of exploration, yeah--- they haven't had that aspect since 9. I loved 10. 12 was alright. Honestly though I don't mind losing the world map.
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 09:08:15 pm »
Well, I don't have a PS3 or an Xbox360 thus I probably won't play it. The trailers looked really slick, if I have the chance to play it even for a little while I will definitely take it.
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 03:06:38 am »
  • 笑い男
Haven't played it so don't know the specifics, but I'd be happy that I can easily progress through the story and actually see the story being played out, not wonder across the entire map 50 times trying to trigger the next event. Once or twice, while I go through the story is enough.
Side quests all over the place can be very fun and I'd be glad to experience them all, but as I go through the main story, not just to try to appease me while running around the map being bored.
Searching the house for disc 2 of whatever film you were in the middle of watching may make the experience of "watching" the film a lot longer, especially if disc 2's hidden somewhere stupid >_<, but of course I'm sure continuing to watch the film would be a lot better experience.

Sure have side quests and stuff to stumble upon everywhere you go, but lengthen the game by making the main story big and long, not by just sticking in lots of random "in-between bits" (which are just bits, far from the main, epic story), imo.

Tales of Graces has a system where you can press the Z button to show a "next to do" or "what the characters are thinking" thing at the bottom left of the screen. It's not a spoiler or anything as it's pretty much just exactly what you heard a minute ago in the game, just very brief and very handy if you forget where exactly you were after not playing the game for a while or something, so just talking to the right person to proceed for example doesn't become an enormous task, as it really shouldn't be. (You wouldn't read "And he ran around the entire town randomly talking to everyone until he found the right person who is directly relevant to this story" in a novel lol)

It also, upon entering a new town and having to specifically go to some location for example, doesn't let you wonder off down the wrong route for ages when trying to get to somewhere specific in the story. (If you try the character just has a thought bubble coming out of their head saying something like "I have a feeling we're going the wrong way...".)
After getting to where you're immediately and specifically supposed to (without first having to spend hours exploring the entire place and make a map for yourself to just find what should be simple, killing the experience) and the next objective in the story being not so urgent or anything you can of course roam freely.
It doesn't constantly restrict you or make you feel restricted at all, it just lets the story continue how it should, without weird and sudden pauses in the story thanks to the heroes running around like idiots trying to to do something simple but not being able to because they can't find out where to do it.

I enjoy playing through the story (and any side quests when I stumble upon them), not going over the same scenery over and over to find out how to trigger the most simplest of things in the advancement of the story. If that's the sort of "linear" gameplay it is (just combating time wasted being bored), then I agree with it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:11:00 am by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 04:24:02 am »
I went to the midnight release as well and got the collectors book. :] The guide book is really really lame, though. They offer very little in terms of strategies for bosses and all. Maybe I'mm looking in the wrong place. But, I've only really looked at it once or twice. The game is relatively straight forward.

What I don't like is the inability to swap out characters as you could in previous games. I also don't like that there are NO random battles. You can't power level anywhere, really. A few places will respawn the enemies, but otherwise it's very limited. I don't like that I'm at the end of chapter nine and my team is still split up, specifically because I find it difficult to fight with Vanille and Sazh alone. And I really don't like that around 80% of the enemies are soldiers. I don't play Final Fantasy games for recon missions.

All of that being said, the graphics are aaaaabsolutely amazing and it's easy to get lost in the tiny details added throughout the world. Little things like finger movements during cutscenes and pores on the characters face really flesh out the world and make it that much more realistic. I like the battle system a lot, aside from what I've just said, and I think it's really fluid. The stagger system is pretty cool, though it's a bit odd to only control one character.

And did anyone else notice Lightning lost that weird electric ability she had in the beginning of the game that !@#$% with gravity? The way they advertised, it seemed like it was going to be important.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:25:39 am by Sprite Collector »
  • My Photostream
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 01:54:39 pm »
Should be picking this up, and Star Ocean International within the next week or so.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 78 queries.

anything