Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vista SP1 Details...  (Read 949 times)

Vista SP1 Details...
« on: December 16, 2007, 06:33:11 am »
    * Adds support for new UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) industry standard PC firmware for 64-bit systems with functional parity with legacy BIOS firmware, which allows Windows Vista SP1 to install to GPT format disks, boot and resume from hibernate using UEFI firmware.

* Adds support for Direct3D® 10.1, an update to Direct3D 10 that extends the API to support new hardware features, enabling 3D application and game developers to make more complete and efficient use of the upcoming generations of graphics hardware.

* Adds support for exFAT, a new file system supporting larger overall capacity and larger files, which will be used in Flash memory storage and consumer devices.

* Adds support for SD Advanced DMA (ADMA) on compliant SD standard host controllers. This new transfer mechanism, which is expected to be supported in SD controllers soon, will improve transfer performance and decrease CPU utilization.

* Adds support for creating a single DVD media that boots on PCs with either BIOS or EFI.

* Enhances support for high density drives by adding new icons and labels that will identify HD-DVD and Blu-ray Drives as high density drives.

* Enhances the MPEG-2 decoder to support content protection across a user accessible bus on Media Center systems configured with Digital Cable Tuner hardware. This also effectively enables higher levels of hardware decoder acceleration for commercial DVD playback on some hardware.

* SP1 addresses issues many of the most common causes of crashes and hangs in Windows Vista, as reported by Windows Error Reporting. These include issues relating to Windows Calendar, Windows Media Player, and a number of drivers included with Windows Vista.

* An improved SRT (Startup Repair Tool), which is part of the Windows Recovery environment (WinRE), can now fix PCs unbootable due to certain missing OS files.

* Improves the performance of browsing network file shares by consuming less bandwidth.

* Improves power consumption when the display is not changing by allowing the processor to remain in its sleep state which consumes less energy.

* Improves power consumption and battery life by addressing an issue that causes a hard disk to continue spinning when it should spin down, in certain circumstances.

* Improves the speed of adding and extracting files to and from a compressed (zipped) folder.

* Significantly improves the speed of moving a directory with many files underneath.

* Improves performance while copying files using BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service).

* 25% faster when copying files locally on the same disk on the same machine

* 45% faster when copying files from a remote non-Windows Vista system to a SP1 system

* 50% faster when copying files from a remote SP1 system to a local SP1 system

* Improves responsiveness when doing many kinds of file or media manipulations. For example, with Windows Vista today, copying files after deleting a different set of files can make the copy operation take longer than needed. In SP1, the file copy time is the same as if no files were initially deleted.

* Improves the copy progress estimation when copying files within Windows Explorer to about two seconds.

* Improves the time to read large images by approximately 50%.

* Improves IE performance on certain Jscript intensive websites, bringing performance in line with previous IE releases.

* Improves the effectiveness of a Windows ReadyBoostâ„¢ device in reducing the time to resume from standby and hibernate by increasing the amount of data stored in the ReadyBoost device that can be used during a resume cycle.

* Includes improvements to Windows Superfetchâ„¢ that help to further improve resume times, in many environments.

* Improves the time to resume from standby for a certain class of USB Hubs by approximately 18%.

* Improves overall media performance by reducing many glitches.

* SP1 includes Secure Development Lifecycle process updates, where Microsoft identifies the root cause of each security bulletin and improves our internal tools to eliminate code patterns that could lead to future vulnerabilities.

* Enhanced the BitLocker encryption support to volumes other than bootable volumes in Windows Vista (for Enterprise and Ultimate SKUs).

* Adds full support for the latest IEEE draft of 802.11n wireless networking.

* Allows users and administrators to control which volumes the disk defragmenter runs on.

* Allows users and administrators using Network Diagnostics to solve the most common file sharing problems, not just network connection problems.

* Enables support for hotpatching, a reboot-reduction servicing technology designed to maximize uptime. It works by allowing Windows components to be updated (or "patched") while they are still in use by a running process. Hotpatch-enabled update packages are installed via the same methods as traditional update packages, and will not trigger a system reboot.

* Improves OS deployment by enabling 64-bit versions of Windows Vista to be installed from a 32-bit OS. This will allow IT professionals to maintain just a single WinPE image.
    * Improves overall install time for updates by optimizing the query for installed OS updates.

* SP1 includes a number of changes which allow computer manufacturers and consumers to select a default desktop search program similar to the way they currently select defaults for third-party web browsers and media players.

* With SP1, Windows Vista will report the amount of system memory installed rather than report the amount of system memory available to the OS.

* SP1 reduces the number of UAC (User Account Control) prompts from 4 to 1 when creating or renaming a folder at a protected location. FINALLY!

* Improvements in the Licensing User Interface and User Experience including more details in the help about activation and what happens if user does not activate; more detailed and descriptive dialog text; raw error codes replaced with easily comprehensible text.

* SP1 modifies the text in the Ultimate Extras Control Panel to describe the Ultimate Extras program in more general terms.

* While not reflected in the initial release candidate this week, we will also be making changes effective with SP1 in how we differentiate the experience customers have using non-genuine versions of our software. This is based on feedback we heard from volume license customers in particular as part of our Windows Genuine Advantage program.

* Also coming with SP1 but not in the current release candidate, we will also be including updates that deal with two exploits we have seen, which can affect system stability for our customers. The OEM Bios exploit, which involves modifying system files and the BIOS of the motherboard to mimic a type of product activation performed on copies of Windows that are pre-installed by OEMs in the factory. The Grace Timer exploit, which attempts to reset the “grace time” limit between installation and activation to something like the year 2099 in some cases.

Well, it's no XP, but it is DEFINITELY better.
the a o d c

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Re: Vista SP1 Details...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:48:33 am »
  • b e p i s
I still say Vista won't be suitable for most users until SP2...but these improvements are refreshing. Vista users will need to let me know how it is :P
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 07:14:37 am »
Sounds like a lot of great new updates... I should see what... SP3 for XP looks like.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 08:50:34 am »
Sounds like a lot of great new updates... I should see what... SP3 for XP looks like.
Well, "there are a total of 1073 fixes in SP3." (from Wiki).

And err...

* All previous security patches and fixes released for Windows XP. Note, however, that the Pre-release/Beta versions are not fully up-to-date with all patches: newer patches released after October 2007 are not included. It is expected that each subsequent release will include more recent patches.

* All enhancements and new features that were included with Windows XP SP1 and Windows XP SP2

* Only two new features are included: Black Hole Router Detection Windows and Network Access Protection (NAP).

* The following are already available for Windows XP in stand-alone updates. Windows XP SP3 includes them by default (System administrators must choose to install each of these updates): MMC 3.0, MSXML6, Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 v2, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.5, IPsec Simple Policy Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP, Digital Identity, Management Service (DIMS), Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRP) 2.1, Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2).

* From the Release Notes: "Microsoft is not adding significant functionality from newer versions of Windows, such as Windows Vista, to Windows XP through XP SP3. For instance, Windows XP SP3 does not include Windows Internet Explorer 7, although Windows XP SP3 does include updates to both Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7, and it will update whichever version is installed on the computer. One notable exception is that, SP3 does include Network Access Protection (NAP)."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 08:55:59 am by AoDC »
the a o d c
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 12:50:02 pm »
Alright some pretty handy updates. Hope it fixes the problem I have trying to uninstall programs. Whenever the window loads all the files it crashes. >,<
  • https://colbydude.com
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 09:51:09 pm »
Hmm... I'm so happy I removed that crappy OS from my laptop and installed the good old XP. Vista might get interesting in a few years.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 02:04:43 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
I just bought a new computer with vista... it's not as good as XP.  :'(

gm112

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 03:24:22 am »
If you exclude all the bloatware from Vista, it's actually a good OS. I'm being serious too. I wish Microsoft made you have the freedom of what to put on your Vista installation. But then again, that's what vlite is for. Oh well... I'm not going to waste my time trying this. Let's just hope it's better than what I'm really expecting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 52 queries.

anything