Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Upgrading?  (Read 995 times)

Cassy

Forum Upgrading?
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:45:32 am »
I realize that I'm new here, and I don't intend to step on too many toes, but I'm curious about the administration's plans on upgrading to the next version of Simple Machines. SMF 2.0 Beta is currently released to charter members, and it seems that this forum seems to be running on more than a couple modifications that may find themselves incompatible with the new version of Simple Machines when it comes out in force, and I was curious as to the administration's plans on how to deal with this. I realize that it is an option to wait until the mods are re-released for the new version of Simple Machines, but that seems like a good bit of time to wait for a growing community. Are there any plans being developed for how to deal with the advancement of the forum system to 2.0, so that you may take advantage of the newest features available in the upcoming version? If you have developer staff who have charter memberships and access to version 2.0 beta, my recommendation is to have some of them work on creating 2.0 versions of various themes, some of the better ones, rather, and some new themes, to bring a fresh look that comes with a new software upgrade. Perhaps, if you have developers who are skilled enough, you could also have them, at least temporarily, converting certain modifications that seem important to your plans for this community's layouts (such as the Resource sections) to work with SMF 2.0 until newer versions of the modifications actually come out into mainstream.

Again, this is just a suggestion, and I'm sorry if I'm stepping on anybody's toes, but I like to learn about the ways things are run when I visit a community, so that if a problem ever comes up, I can help in any way I can manage. Knowing the way things are taken care of puts me in a position where I can help somebody who is confused about who to contact and why things are acting a certain way.
Re: Forum Upgrading?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:01:51 am »
The users here who go by the usernames of Kirby and metallica48423 are actually part of the SMF team, and Infinitus knows a lot about coding in particular.  Fixing up everything so that the features work should not be that hard for them if they are helping with it, but then again a lot of the features are subject to change depending on if they work or not. But I am speaking hastily, I am not too sure.  I am not that worried that any change in SMF version would be detrimental though.
Re: Forum Upgrading?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:46:59 am »
We've done it before, we will do it again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 43 queries.