Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved] Quick way to recolor?  (Read 4873 times)

[Solved] Quick way to recolor?
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:18:07 pm »
I seriously recolor sprites like nine times before I decide how I want the palette to be. So.. a lot of my time is spent doing that. Are there any quick ways to recolor things? Like say select a single color and tell a program to change it to another? I use MS Paint to tile/sprite.

<<<Me right now.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:52:21 pm by Xiphirx »
  • My Photostream

Ryuza

That one guy
Re: RQ: Quick way to recolor?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:25:31 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
I used to have the same problem all the time and I found a great solution, if you open up Game Maker and use its sprite editor there's a tool () that lets you replace all colors in an image with another color. It works very well, it may be a bit inconvenient to have to open it every time but it saves a ton of time.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:33:29 pm by Ryuza »
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:25:57 pm »
I seriously recolor sprites like nine times before I decide how I want the palette to be. So.. a lot of my time is spent doing that. Are there any quick ways to recolor things? Like say select a single color and tell a program to change it to another? I use MS Paint to tile/sprite.

<<<Me right now.

GM8's image editor has a swap function now.  You pick a color, switch to color swap and just click.  Easiest way off-hand I could tell you.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:31:12 pm »
Or, if you're using Gimp or Gimp2, you can use the Select All feature, which will choose and select, like a select box, and then allow for pasting of a color to all of the selected area. Thus, it changes sprites.
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:39:19 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Use GraphicsGale!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 11:44:57 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
If you're using paint, the easiest way I've found is to use a large canvas. Right click the color you want to replace, then off to the side make a rectangular color body that's larger than your sprite in the color that you want the sprite to be. Then select your sprite, move it over to the color body, and select the option on the left that makes the second color transparent when moving the sprite :)

Saves a lot of time.

Darklink45

aka Faded Led
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:04:52 am »
To recolor i just do this:

red:the color i want to change.
blue:the color i want to change it to.

I select the eraser tool and right click the sprite and it will change color,
it very easy.
Personal site: Faded Led
People die when they are killed.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 12:27:34 am »
Thanks everyone!  :D
  • My Photostream
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 12:54:06 am »
DarkLink45's got the right idea. Pick the largest eraser size, select the colors like he said (right-click with the color select tool to get the second color), then hold the right-click and "erase" over the sprite. That'll quickly change every pixel of the first colour to the second colour.

There's another way to do this involving use of right-clicking and drawing a rectangle over the sprite, in a special way so that the rectangle only draws onto the color you want to change. But I can never for the life of me remember how to do it. Check out Youtube videos of MS Paint tips, there's lots of great stuff there.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 01:17:48 am »
  • RyuKage2007
Very nice idea darklink, looks like I won't have to keep opening GM anymore :D.
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 04:25:02 am »
I sprite in Photoshop, and the paint bucket tool can be toggled between contiguous and non-contiguous. It's like a gift from Heaven, sometimes..

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 03:28:39 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Remember, if you CTRL+Left Click a color in Paint, you get a third color to use if you hold CTRL down when clicking to draw. Also, that's what I do for spriting, Mammy! A large canvas is quite vital. Also, saving colors under Custom Colors in the color selection window saves time too. Trust me; I found this out whilst spriting the RM10 bosses!

It helps!

And yes, I know the colors are probably wrong. But I used Photoshop to eyedrop a color from the booklet, then put the RGB info into Paint, and saved the colors there so when I changed to a new RM for spriting, I could easily pick a color that was used in another boss (I saved after each boss so the color box reset).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:30:30 am by Mirby »

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 01:39:49 pm »
I sprite in Photoshop, and the paint bucket tool can be toggled between contiguous and non-contiguous. It's like a gift from Heaven, sometimes..
Haven't tried it myself, but doesn't it also limit itself to a selection when it's in non-contiguous? Could be useful if you've got a whole spritesheet but only want to apply it to one sprite.

Edit: just tested it and apparently it does. That's cool.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:41:32 pm by Darklight »
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 01:45:27 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Remember, if you CTRL+Left Click a color in Paint, you get a third color to use if you hold CTRL down when clicking to draw. Also, that's what I do for spriting, Mammy! A large canvas is quite vital. Also, saving colors under Custom Colors in the color selection window saves time too. Trust me; I found this out whilst spriting the RM10 bosses!

It helps!

And yes, I know the colors are probably wrong. But I used Photoshop to eyedrop a color from the booklet, then put the RGB info into Paint, and saved the colors there so when I changed to a new RM for spriting, I could easily pick a color that was used in another boss (I saved after each boss so the color box reset).

It's close, but yeah... All of the sprites from RM10 have already been properly ripped from the game :P
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 02:11:31 pm »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:19:09 pm by Windy »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 02:19:48 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

Damn you Windy and your script testing >;(
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 04:30:58 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Just use paint.  Select color 1 as the color you want to replace and color 2 as the color you want to replace it with.  Grab the eraser, and erase over the image, but use right click instead of left click.  It will replace any pixel of color 1 with color 2.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 11:56:30 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Just use paint.  Select color 1 as the color you want to replace and color 2 as the color you want to replace it with.  Grab the eraser, and erase over the image, but use right click instead of left click.  It will replace any pixel of color 1 with color 2.

You know what sucks? I've noticed a few people saying this but it sometimes does not work for me. It's really frustrating.

It has something to do with saving an image then opening it up and trying to change the colors (using said way) right after opening it up; it doesn't work. BUT, it will work with any colors that I've changed after it has been opened again... I don't understand why, but that's what's going on with my own palette testing and changes. But now that I've already changed all of the colors in the image once, I'm leaving the image open and it works fine to change the colors now. It still sucks though because I have to go through quite a few images for recoloring once I've figured out my new palette. I hate recoloring so much! D:<

I really don't get why this happens, and it makes me sad. D:
If anyone knows why that happens, educate me please.
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 12:00:26 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
My method when spriting is using MS Paint. Keep white as the right-click color. Occasionally use CTRL+Color. Zoom in 8x (though sometimes I zoom in more than that; anyone know why?). CTRL+G for grid. And then iSprite.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 04:35:00 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Zoom in 8x (though sometimes I zoom in more than that; anyone know why?).

Because clicking just below the bar for 8x gives you 16x.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 74 queries.