Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Contest #6: Game Development 2 - Comparison REGISTRATION CLOSED  (Read 27190 times)

Re: Contest #6: Game Development 2 - Comparison ...
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 12:18:09 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I only mentioned the dating because a lot of the games he suggested were released before 1985 (I didn't think re-releases would count) which I thought would have meant something would have needed changing somewhere... :)
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 12:21:47 am »
  • Minalien
How faithfully do these have to be made, by the way? Are we free to, for example, recreate the game from a different perspective, and with an updated engine? (For example, recreating Pool of Radiance in a top-down view, rather than using a first-person style, and using 3.5 edition Dungeons & Dragons rules behind things?)
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 12:29:44 am »
How faithfully do these have to be made, by the way? Are we free to, for example, recreate the game from a different perspective, and with an updated engine? (For example, recreating Pool of Radiance in a top-down view, rather than using a first-person style, and using 3.5 edition Dungeons & Dragons rules behind things?)

New School | - you Must stick with to the theme and style of the game you have chosen
                   - your focus is to take an old game and give it a face lift.  Update the graphics/sprites.
                      Give it some pretty eye-candy effects.  Better music, etc.
                   - A plus is to also build upon the orginal game's gameplay.  EXAMPLE:  Add stomping to the
                     original Super Mario Bros. if that had been your choice.

I think that is what is meant by 'new school', however TFS should confirm this before it's considered 'fact'.

I only mentioned the dating because a lot of the games he suggested were released before 1985 (I didn't think re-releases would count) which I thought would have meant something would have needed changing somewhere... :)

Yeah, that's a valid point. I was more or less focusing on the awards/prizes comment, though I don't feel 'bitching' about specifications within the contest is needed, putting things in a more nice way and a direct question is more logical. -- Not that any of what either of you said could directly be defined as 'bitching'. Just a heads up, for any contest goers in the future, for any other contests.

We take offense (or I do at least) to saying our contests are not planned, none of you are aware of how active staff boards are (posts are not counted in staff boards after all). If they were, I'm sure most staff members would have significantly larger post counts. With that said, we don't pull idea's out of our butt and then slap them up in a topic a few hours later, we discuss matters first in the staff board's, get input from everyone.. check of ideas and modification, then agree on some sort of 'product', which then is posted.

None the less, Jay, I do agree with you there, I was just dumbfounded by some phrasing in past posts in the topic.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 12:43:59 am »
lol I believe that was actually done before.  I remember some company releasing one of the old first person AD&D games in a more Baldur's Gate style.

But I would say, yes.  That would fall under New School.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 12:48:28 am »
  • Minalien
In that case.

New School - Pool of Radiance (Amiga, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, MS-DOS, Apple Macintosh, NES -=- 1988)
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 02:15:12 pm »
Alright, decided what I'm gonna do. I think I'll just go for some Old School styled Super Mario Bros. Probably try to get to the castle, but if I don't it'll be the end of 1-2.
  • https://colbydude.com
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 03:47:43 pm »
  • =/
 Alright, no 3d-2d conversions, right? What about 2d-3d?
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 06:33:53 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
I'm doing Zelda II The Adventure of Link. I think I'll keep it old school, less work that way.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 10:22:38 pm »
Depends, what game were you thinking about? and if so, it would be a New School category entry.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 10:23:43 pm »
  • :D
I'll enter!
I'll be doing Pocky & Rocky, old-school style! :D
  • Knighty Games
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 01:09:13 am »
  • =/
Depends, what game were you thinking about? and if so, it would be a New School category entry.
If I wanted to redo a dungeon from say, Link's Awakening in 3d, would that not be allowed?
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 01:10:39 am »
If I wanted to redo a dungeon from say, Link's Awakening in 3d, would that not be allowed?
That's fine.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 03:13:07 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Since I love to ask questions:
*A fully functional level shows everything the original game had.  If it is an adventure game(IE Zelda), you must either have a fairly good sized overworld or re-create a dungeon.*
can you be more specific? should I just make a random dungoen with 3 items working, a few enemies, and sword?
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 03:17:45 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Kind of late, but !@#$% it, I'm in. I'm probably going to go old school and recreate Contra 3. I would do Demon's Crest, but I couldn't bear to work on something like that.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 03:41:26 am »
*A fully functional level shows everything the original game had.  If it is an adventure game(IE Zelda), you must either have a fairly good sized overworld or re-create a dungeon.*
can you be more specific? should I just make a random dungoen with 3 items working, a few enemies, and sword?
Random...no.  You would have to pick one of the dungeons.

When I said, "One fully functional level." I meant a level from the actual game itself.

Sorry for any confusion.
Kind of late, but !@#$% it, I'm in. I'm probably going to go old school and recreate Contra 3. I would do Demon's Crest, but I couldn't bear to work on something like that.
Why not?  It is just a modified Megaman X meets Castlevania type game.  Since you only need one level, you could do the opening/graveyard level.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 03:53:46 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Why not?  It is just a modified Megaman X meets Castlevania type game.  Since you only need one level, you could do the opening/graveyard level.

Oh !@#$%, I must've skipped the one-level part. I thought you were expecting us to recreate the entire game. In that case, I'm going with Demon's Crest.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 04:33:27 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße

When I said, "One fully functional level." I meant a level from the actual game itself.

Sorry for any confusion.

k, and how big would I need to make a part of the overworld if I did that instead?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 04:37:39 am by Theforeshadower »
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 04:38:08 am »

Sorry for any confusion.

k, and how big would I need to make a part of the overworld if I did that instead?

Since you are doing Zelda 1 I would say just the few screens leading to Level 1.

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention and hit the modify button on your topic instead of quote...lol
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 05:17:26 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
So thats 8 screens. Ill probably do that, and include the bow and sword.(and the oktorocs) is this ok?
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 05:34:27 am »
So thats 8 screens. Ill probably do that, and include the bow and sword.(and the oktorocs) is this ok?
Yeah.  Just remember, though, the more effort, the better the score will probably be.
Don't worry, you have an entire month to do this. lol
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 77 queries.

anything