Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Timer  (Read 3384 times)

First Timer
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:38:34 pm »
  • Hello!
So,I've been interested in game design for a while. Anybody know what the best program would be for a beginner? I have pretty much no experience.
Re: First Timer
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:56:55 pm »
Start out with GameMaker. It is a very good tool for beginners. It is best to first read the tutorials at http://www.yoyogames.com/ and the GM help files. Next to that it is probably a good idea to learn some OOD as well.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 04:11:14 am »
Another option is The Games Factory 2/ Multimedia Fusion 2
www.clickteam.com
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:12:22 am »
As Mammy attended me to it, that the jump from GM to another language might be a big one. I still think GM is good place to start to get a feel for coding and working with variables. But before you get used to it it is best to consider other languages as well. Some may seem complex because they don't have a huge library of helper functions behind them like Prolog and C. But the advantage is that you do not need to learn much first. You do have to figure out a lot of algorithms yourself though.

Other languages have huge helper functions that do a lot of calculations and programming for you like C# and Java, but you need to memorize a lot and not everything will always make sence and you might get lost and confused by the many options. But it does allow you to think less about the math behind most of it.

But to get to the point. As a beginner you need to start somewhere, thus you will always have to take a plunge. And once you get interested in other languages than you will have to take a plunge again. Considering the way humans think, it best to start out with an object oriented language (or something similar) and learn about Object Oriented Design (OOD).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:37:24 am by Niek »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 08:14:53 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 12:22:14 pm »
  • Hello!
Thanks! I'll try them all out,and see which one I feel most comfortable with.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:04:27 pm »
I wouldn't do that. Just pick one and then start learning. GameMaker, C# and C++ are much used languages here, that people can help you with.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:42:43 pm »
Gamemaker. has to be. i started on it, and found it really easy! It makes games just like the pros, and it's free!
I'll add one of these later.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:19:22 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
It maeks gams just lik the pr0s, and it's 3!1!

...okay, my prejudice against GameMaker aside, it depends.

If you have dreams of being or seeming a professional or mainstream-respectable, then pick a programming language such as Java, C#, FreeBASIC or VisualBASIC and learn them. You learn them first. The games and pretty shiny things come afterwards. The harsh truth of the world really is that you have to walk before you can run.

There are RAD tools you can use, if you absolutely must. Personally I'd recommend Construct over GameMaker, but I can be a snob at times. Then again...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:26:16 pm by TheDarkJay »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 11:11:52 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I can't agree with the "It makes games just like the pros" statement, because "pro" implies that someone's making a profit off of their development. Something that nobody will ever be able to do in a respectable manor with GM. Your source is exposed, your resources are exposed, and honestly if you're using it in the first place with the intention of selling games, you're probably not making games just like the pros :P

I dare say Blitzmax is a good tool to start out with; but there aren't many tutorials out there for it.
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:29:50 am »
Now that I have rethought it:
I'd say go Java or maybe even simple javascript.  I have seen some nifty things done in javascript.
If you want something basic, VisualBasic, PureBASIC(good one since it has image and sound support right out of the gate), or BlitzBasic.

Another thing I will say, dabble in a little of everything.  If you are not comfortable with C++, then don't go C++.  But if you can grasp and feel comfortable with something like Java or C#, then go for it.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 07:16:00 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Gamemaker. has to be. i started on it, and found it really easy! It makes games just like the pros, and it's free!

Yea...no...if you're serious about game dev, then Game Maker is certainly not the way to go unless you're in the prototyping stage.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 08:56:34 pm »
  • Hello!
I'm working with Game Maker now. Started with the tutorials, and now I'm remaking Pac-Man to test my knowledge. Thanks guys.

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 02:01:36 am »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
Game Maker, that what I'm using.
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 08:18:39 pm »
  • The king of Awesome
Game Maker, a lot of prof. use it for prototyping a game.  But if you're looking to actually get into the industry just go straight to C++ and C#.

Brutus

Kirby Master
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 10:24:32 pm »
torque game engine's pretty good, but not for zelda
if place_free(x,y,z) {wrong number of arguments to function or script}
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 12:23:45 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
I use Game Maker 8, but I makes games only as a hobby.  I have been able to do anything that I have wanted to do, and have come out with some pretty good stuff.  If you are planning on making money then I wouldn't suggest it, but if you are just doing it for fun then I think Game Maker would be your best choice.  It is very easy to grasp, and once you start using the code rather than the Drag and Drop your options increase a LOT.  It has a free limmited version so you could try it out for free.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 01:30:27 pm »
  • The king of Awesome
Game Maker is used commercially by indie developers, and the fact that GM will also support the iphone/ipad/ipod and also supports the mac and on some cases supports linux.
It does seem ideal to some people.

Now if you plan on porting this to XBox Live you probably may want to check up on Geex, it's a program that allows you to make rpgs and it's good for zelda. You can also import RPG Maker XP projects with it so you can play em on the 360.
You will need a creators club account though to do this, Geex is free though.

If you're thinking about developing for Nintendo which doesn't require a lot, you may want to check up on a few kits for wii and the ds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 74 queries.