Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLCL  (Read 1477 times)

FLCL
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:07:45 am »
So Q.K. cooled down and is sticking around for a while at least because he might end up posting some info about a new Binary Phoenix project. In any case, preamble aside, in the meantime Q.K. has been trying out some artwork... here's what happened. C&C?

Reference from here, though not traced. http://www.aldraskaii.info/files/images/FLCL2.jpg
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:41:03 pm by Q.K. »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: FLCL
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 04:22:12 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Nice :D!

I think it looks awesome, and I really like your choice of colors in the pic ^_^ the Vespa's wheel is a lil mishapen, but thats the only thing I can see that isnt A++! ^_^ good work
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 04:41:28 am »
  • :D
Her face looks a bit funky on the left-- but other than that it looks pretty sweet.  FLCL is a sweet show :)

uma

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 09:25:25 pm »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.
Silly! Michael Jackson doesn't ride a motorcycle. :P

Seriously though, its kind of... akward. I personally am against any kind of referencing from a picture(Which is why I hate my Art 2d class so much... >_>) because well... It isn't all that original(If its in a completely different pose, I'm fine. Like if your trying to get a costume accurate, but if its the same pose and stuff... I just don't beleive in it).[/opinion]

But, forgetting the picture, its a bit strange... The way you've detailed the clothing and stuff makes it look like she has muscular legs and arms... The motorcycle looks a lil' bit crooked too... Though I do love the style its colored in! XD

Everything else is nice, the guitar, scarf, most of the body... But it would be so much better if the face didn't look like so much like Jacko's. And we all know what MJ looks like... *Shudders*

Edit: Attention people who use picks for references. Your killing the industry. How does that make you feel hmm?I love memes.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:32:03 pm by uma »
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 09:35:09 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
Silly! Michael Jackson doesn't ride a motorcycle. :P

Seriously though, its kind of... akward. I personally am against any kind of referencing from a picture(Which is why I hate my Art 2d class so much... >_>) because well... It isn't all that original(If its in a completely different pose, I'm fine. Like if your trying to get a costume accurate, but if its the same pose and stuff... I just don't beleive in it).[/opinion]

But, forgetting the picture, its a bit strange... The way you've detailed the clothing and stuff makes it look like she has muscular legs and arms... The motorcycle looks a lil' bit crooked too... Though I do love the style its colored in! XD

Everything else is nice, the guitar, scarf, most of the body... But it would be so much better if the face didn't look like so much like Jacko's. And we all know what MJ looks like... *Shudders*

Edit: Attention people who use picks for references. Your killing the industry. How does that make you feel hmm?I love memes.
go look up flcl!!!! now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think it looks totally and perfectly awesome and i love the art of flcl so much and this is so cool and i love it!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 09:36:17 pm »
My opinion towards using references: they're essential to learning to draw. You would probably be surprised by the amount of artists, even professionals that use photos, and other drawings to reference their work off of, both for inspiration and to look at how things are drawn. I'm definitely not a good artist, by any means lol. Which is why I'm referencing, to help me learn. Trust me, all the greats studied references and images and learned how to draw things by continually looking at other pictures or photos for the way folds would form under gravity, or the way light would hit something... I do admit this was a very direct referencing though.

As for her being muscular? I don't really see it lol. If anything, it's' the wind blowing the loose clothe behind her... even take a look at the reference picture, they're fairly similar.

The face, I kind of messed up on, ok lol. It doesn't look quite as bad on the original though, the program I use to trace the scan to get the smooth single color lines must have changed some stuff. But yeah I still agree it's a bit odd lol. Oh well, I don't pretend to be a pro at this.

EDIT: Just noticed I had miscolored her right arm, there should be a guitar there, that's what's making her arm look so big lol. I fixed that though, and uploaded a new pic with the guitar body colored in.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:41:54 pm by Q.K. »
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 09:47:26 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
yea, referencing is completely and totally helpfull uma, i often look at the artwork of tite kubo, fred perry, and to3nemesis(at teamartail.com) to help me draw stuff.  and now i just realized how it's odd that two of my favourite artists love to draw scantily clad women. :-\

and thats definatelely the wind blowing the clothes man!!  how you no see that?!?!?!?!?!?!  the picture he referenced didn't have sleeves, but his does.

uma

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 12:31:00 am »
All through out my life of drawing(Which has been the majority of my life beleive it or not), I have probably only used a reference 3 or 4 times and that was WAAAY back in the day when Uma sucked at drawing and was a naive, little chubby ugly boy.

And look how I turned out? I'm skinny, not ugly and a young adult that can art pretty damn well If I do say so myself. I think learning how to draw on your own without a reference really helps one to make a more differentiated style of drawing, whether it be cartoonistic or it be more realistic(Though it takes A LOOOOOONG time).

As for actual photos, thats obviously going to be necessary to reference from, unless you have a super human picture memory. But I hate drawing realistic. It annoys the !@#$% !@#$% out of me because its what I see all the time; REAL. Its not that it's hard, especially using the grid method, its just booorring.

And I KNOW its the wind blowing on her clothes, but the left leg(My left, not hers) really look like she power lifts at the YMCA quite frequently.
Ghosts of Aliens

My FurAffinity!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 12:52:32 am »
All through out my life of drawing(Which has been the majority of my life beleive it or not), I have probably only used a reference 3 or 4 times and that was WAAAY back in the day when Uma sucked at drawing and was a naive, little chubby ugly boy.

And look how I turned out? I'm skinny, not ugly and a young adult that can art pretty damn well If I do say so myself. I think learning how to draw on your own without a reference really helps one to make a more differentiated style of drawing, whether it be cartoonistic or it be more realistic(Though it takes A LOOOOOONG time).

As for actual photos, thats obviously going to be necessary to reference from, unless you have a super human picture memory. But I hate drawing realistic. It annoys the !@#$% !@#$% out of me because its what I see all the time; REAL. Its not that it's hard, especially using the grid method, its just booorring.

And I KNOW its the wind blowing on her clothes, but the left leg(My left, not hers) really look like she power lifts at the YMCA quite frequently.

Man I love you Uma.

Good drawing but she does look a tad too muscular. o_O

Also yes referencing is helpful but not original. Try doing a different pose.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 01:40:01 am »
Looks good :)
The proportions were a bit distorted though, I think you have to pay more attention to that.

[offtopic]You're seriously getting addicted to "lol", Q.K.! XD[/offtopic]

@uma: yeah, I don't like copying either. From a picture, or from looking to the person/object stopped, I don't like it; I prefer drawing things that come to my mind. But that's not a matter of ability - because mine is ridiculous -, it's rather a matter of style.

uma

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 10:37:15 am »
I'm glad I have some people who I can side with on this... Usually its 8 or 5 billion against Uma. :P

I wasn't saying it was a matter of ability though, I was just saying I don't beleive in it. Some people have tons of ability and use a reference, like those artists who use the grid method to paint photos 6 times bigger than the original.

Oh and tanx Moldrill! Much love for ya' over heer, dawg. XD
Ghosts of Aliens

My FurAffinity!
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 06:39:22 pm »
[offtopic] In art class we are doing the grid method. Of a picture of ourselves. I will scan it when I am done. :) [/offtopic]

I like the colors you used. For some real criticism see my last post. :-*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 59 queries.

anything