Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [Demo] SUPER SMASH KARTS  (Read 11405 times)

[Demo] SUPER SMASH KARTS
« on: September 10, 2007, 02:04:01 pm »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.

Demo 4 is out! Try it out, have fun, and try not to get eaten by those pesky piranha men in the malls!

By the way, blog added to the website. I took off Shadow from Final Fantasy VI and replaced him with Zidane from Final Fantasy IX. I also took off Maple from Zelda and put Ganondorf in her place.

Website
Blog

And yeah, I like handing out opinions and comments no one cares about. :O

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD DEMO 3 NOW!!!

I just want bug reports and suggestions. DO NOT PESTER ME ABOUT THE GAME NOT HAVING ANY FANCY TITLE SCREEN MOVIE OR THAT IT HAS TOO MANY CHARACTERS OR THAT HALF THE ROSTER IS NOT FROM NINTENDO AND ITS A SUPER SMASH SOMETHING ON ITS TITLE. ...Thank you.

Controls:

Left + Right = Turn (Player 1)
Up = Use item (P1)
Down = Brake
Double tap Down when "!!!" appears = Special

Player two uses WASD controls.

Press Space to pause.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:52:26 pm by Garoth Moulinoski »

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts
Re: [Demo] SUPER SMASH KARTS
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 03:54:50 pm »
This game is would be REALLY really fun if you could fix a couple of the bugs and sizes of some of the characters. I think it would be more fair if you resized some images, so they can actually move in the arena (e.g. Capt Olimar)
The items and everything else are really cool. The pokemon idea was genious, and so was the ice.
However, I think you should make all the graphics match somewhat, so it doesn't look out of place a lot of the time.
The CPU is intelligent, but it is stuck in walls a lot. The collision is a little odd, too.
Overall, really fun to play, but just needs more adjustments done to it.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 04:04:35 pm »
I said that I wasn't going to make the art styles match. XD Unless some kind spriter is willing to create sprites for each character in the same art style... (Oh, I just remembered: I wanted to make Tamagon look more modern instead of 8-bit!)

But but do you mean collision is strange? If you're bouncing from the walls, that's the way it's supposed to be. If you're getting stuck, then I need to look into it. D:

And I'm still trying to get sizes working... The problem with it is that if I use anything but a circle, it is likely that the characters will get stuck on the walls (I'm guessing this happens because if the difference in the width and height of the sprites). Captain Olimar didn't seem to be too bad though. O_o I'll work with him a bit then. Thank you for noticing that! :D

Thanks for the compliments! I feel like there aren't that many items, though... D: And the same goes for the Pokémon (there's only Pikachu, Snorlax, and the laggy Tauros stampede).

EDIT: Ok, you're right, Captain Olimar's immense speed and size makes the tight corridors kinda hard to maneuver on... I'm going to try seeing how I can make it a little smoother)

Edit: Fixed-eth! :D Will have to look for the same problem on the Epoch though... :/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 04:14:05 pm by Garoth Moulinoski »

• Super Smash Karts
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 04:17:58 pm »
Hey, I'll play with every character and see if I can make notes on some... but I won't till later today.
I like the general idea a lot. This game has unlimited potential. ^__^

Oh, and what I meant by the wall collision...
umm, kind of hard to explain. You know how you go straight down facing down, and once you hit the wall, you magically turn in a random direction?
Maybe you could make it so you bounce off, kind of like a bumper car. Just a suggestion.
P.S. The worm is a little too slow. XD
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:50:39 pm »
Hey, I'll play with every character and see if I can make notes on some... but I won't till later today.
I like the general idea a lot. This game has unlimited potential. ^__^

Thanks! :D I'll make sure to include in the credits as a tester. n_n

Oh, and what I meant by the wall collision...
umm, kind of hard to explain. You know how you go straight down facing down, and once you hit the wall, you magically turn in a random direction?
Maybe you could make it so you bounce off, kind of like a bumper car. Just a suggestion.

It's not a random direction, but the opposite direction. But when I did Cap'n Olimar's fix, that's what I did- And it looked very nice. So, I think I'm going to take up your suggestion for the rest of the characters. :P

P.S. The worm is a little too slow. XD

I felt like it was... But then again, he's small and sluggish compared to some other characters... Another things to note is that I've never (but always wanted to) play Worms, so I don't know how fast the worms are. :/ Do you think he should be a little faster or alot faster?

BTW, I thought about the sizes and I remembered Sora. Sora is actually pretty big compared to other characters of his same height (Snake XD) That's something I will look at.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 12:22:53 am by Garoth Moulinoski »

• Super Smash Karts
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 02:22:24 am »
Hey, it's a pleasure to help a guy out. I'll have to look tomorrow and see what I can feed back to you on the game.
Worms, yes, are very slow. Even in the game... but maybe you can put him on another item used in the Worms game? (Homing Pigeon, Bazooka bullet, Sheep, Mad cow, Old woman...)
If you know what any of those are. Anyways, I'll look into it all tomorrow mate.

Bustertheheroic

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 03:17:11 am »
This sounds like my game idea: Super Smash Racing.
but i never said it so i'm not gonna get made that it's similar.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 03:53:32 am »
Interesting game.

There is this glitch where if we go into each other we get stuck and can't get away from each other.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 07:47:22 pm »
Hey, it's a pleasure to help a guy out. I'll have to look tomorrow and see what I can feed back to you on the game.
Worms, yes, are very slow. Even in the game... but maybe you can put him on another item used in the Worms game? (Homing Pigeon, Bazooka bullet, Sheep, Mad cow, Old woman...)
If you know what any of those are. Anyways, I'll look into it all tomorrow mate.

I've seen screenshots and the spritesheet I, err, borrowed from tSR show the worms with all kinds of hilarious weaponry. I'll look into that. (BTW, if anyone has seen a sprite of Earthworm Jim on his rocket, please give me the url... I haven't been able to find this sprite... Must be from Earthworm Jim 2...)

This sounds like my game idea: Super Smash Racing.
but i never said it so i'm not gonna get made that it's similar.

I've had a similar idea for years already... But it'd be too hard for me to make at my current programming level... D:

Interesting game.

There is this glitch where if we go into each other we get stuck and can't get away from each other.

Darn... So that's still happening... Do you remember if the sprites were moving at an angle of 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees? I think those are the problem angles. D: Also, can you tell me what characters you were using when this happened? (The varying speed could have caused this...)

Thanks for all the comments! w00t!

• Super Smash Karts
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 10:43:53 pm »
Demo 2

I need people's assistance on this one. There's two executables inside the zip file: One is the "small" or regular sized room and the other one is the "Big" or 2x room. I'd like to know what people's opinion on the 2x room is (besides some misaligned stuff like "GAME" on items that appear on the walls; I didn't modify any code for the 2x one)

For the layman, there's a whole new battalion of characters (Image, I used up all the numbers and letters!) like Diddy Kong, Rocket Slime, Peach, and Rayman amongst some more. The stage also has hazards now (any Zelda fan should recognize them!)

I won't work on this until someone gives me there opinion on the room sizes. Thanks for trying out.

BTW: List of things to do:

Add in more Pokémon (like Charizard!)
Add in summons... or assist trophies... (they're not really trophies...)
Add in a character selection screen
Add in a stage selection screen
Add more stages
Add in MetaKnight (Can't find a decent sprite of him with his back to the camera and his wings out)
Add in animations for Metal Gear
Add a title screen
Make the worm a little faster (I might do off and get myself Worms for the DS)
Test the glitch Fissure was talking about
Fix CPU AI

Edit: I was able to do the zooming and unzooming thing Super Smash Bros. What this means is that can make the maps big as I want to (or rather, so big but not so big as to leave the sprites at a microscopic level...) Now, I just have to fix certain things like the time display and player damage and weapon displays.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 03:09:26 pm by Garoth Moulinoski »

• Super Smash Karts
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 03:20:47 pm »

How's THAT for a roster?!

• Super Smash Karts
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 07:57:00 pm »
Here's my review.

Graphics - The graphics are not bad, okay rips. Nice particles used and effects. The background is a bit too simple and big. I suggest you to make it smaller and better detailed, otherwise, different maps are cool. And your use of different sizes from images is too much.
The interface is pretty bad. Your menu startup screen lacks a title screen with a pretty looking logo, yours is just a black page with a listening of characters to choose by pressing a button. At least make a character selection which is only text based, where you can use your mouse or keyboard to select your character. Because it took me a while to understand why I have to press 2 times on a button before I could start.

Gameplay - The gameplay is very nice, although the many bugs, the game is a nice idea and game. I like the freedom of many characters, but the characters doesn't seems to be different excluding their speed. What about attacks? weapons? I can't say much about the controls, but it's very anoying that the 'replay' key, is the most used/touched key in your keyboard. I keep pressing the space bar accidentally.
The AI seems to have a lot of problems moving around obstacles and objects like items. The first time when I run the game, Kirby wasn't even moving at all, he was spinning at the same place. Other characters keeps hanging at items.
  • Virtual Security
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 09:54:05 pm »
Dude... It's a demo, and an old one at that since I have implemented things like view and a character selection screen (but I haven't released the demo yet... But I posted a screenshot of the character selection screen).

Also, haven't you noticed that some characters can take more damage than others? Also, some characters deal more damage... Still others are just fast, fast with good turning, fast with bad turning, slow with/out good turning. The characters are different, its just hard to notice at times (besides the speed).

As for the AI, I'm working on it. At least it doesn't get stuck on walls anymore (rather, it does crazy semi-circles O_o). I'm going to put in more items and I just made the layout for the Kirby stage.

The game is really early- All I've been doing is showing off how the game will look like later on. (I'm going to make some items rarer than others, I'm going to add the nice pretty title screen you want- might even do a big ol' intro for your eyes to either feast or burn on, whatever happens).

On the demo, you had to press two buttons- One for first player, the other for second player. It won't be like that in the final game (if a final one is ever released). Spacebar has now become the Pause button

What do you mean about the different sizes? Like Megaman is somehow bigger than Lara Croft or the whole Metal Gear is friggin' stomping huge? I'm not a spriter so that's not much I can in terms of sprites. Like I said, if someone would like to make sprites for each character in the same style, that wouldn't be so bad (usually, they're just one frame each).

That said, I'd like to know about the bugs you've encountered (aside from the AI, because that's buggier than Africa).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:56:36 pm by Garoth Moulinoski »

• Super Smash Karts
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 06:26:37 pm »
Dude... It's a demo, and an old one at that since I have implemented things like view and a character selection screen (but I haven't released the demo yet... But I posted a screenshot of the character selection screen).
That doesn't mean I can't review it :)
  • Virtual Security
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 08:54:58 pm »
That doesn't mean I can't review it :)

Heh, I don't mind a review. At the moment, what I really want are bug reports, although without the new content, no one will be able to give any up-to-date bugs.

• Super Smash Karts
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 12:40:56 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Just based on the screen shots the items look a little too small, but the game looks interesting.   XD
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 09:54:39 pm »
Just based on the screen shots the items look a little too small, but the game looks interesting.   XD

If you look at the screenshot above, you can tell where the view needs touching up on- The timer and the item display need to be resized when the view changes size, but so far, my attempts to fixing the problem have caused worse problems. Also, I need to make the screen start zooming out sooner, but that's no sweat, just haven't felt like doing it! ;P

Hmm... My sister and I always felt they were okay... Why don't you try playing it in fullscreen? (Or rather, wait for me to release a new demo sometime so you can experience the spiffy LIMIT BREAKS (which I'm still working on, since some characters don't have items from their respective games in there yet, like Castlevania's Death still needs to be inserted), new items, new character, actual menu (no titlescreen yet, TRDB! ;)), and the new view set-up (that still needs a little touching up on). Plus, AI is now 100% better, Metal Gear is worth playing as, and is becoming, all-around, better. The biggest help was (finally) setting up the AI so I could experience a quasi-human-to-human game, which really helped me realize how unbalanced the game was (the best characters were fast ones, no matter how much more Hp the slow ones had! The slow ones no have more strength than the fast ones, while the fast ones still have the lowest Hp [I think Ness has the lowest Hp of all]).

And uh...

M.Bison has joined the fray!                                                                                                                                                           Master Chief has joined the fray!                                                                                                                                            Heck, even Tetris blocks have joined the fray! (Not included in this screenshot :()

I also rearranged the character selection screen so that the art styles don't clash so terribly. Once again, if you think the sprites don't mix, why don't you try helping me and try spriting all 46 (soon to be 50 because of X, Protoman, Bass, and Zero. I'd like to include more characters, maybe Yoshi, some from Dragon Quest, I'd like to add Zack from Final Fantasy VII [just played Crisis Core X_x], an Elite from Halo, Metroid Space Pirates, and... well, just about everything and anything I can get my hands on...)

• Super Smash Karts
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 10:05:17 pm »
Damn, I've been gone for so long. My bad. I'll try demo 2 once I finish some assignments. ^__^
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 11:19:13 pm »
Damn, I've been gone for so long. My bad. I'll try demo 2 once I finish some assignments. ^__^

Actually, probably best if you wait for the next demo since it's more close to what the real thing may be like. :P (Although the final version will be as pretty as I can get it to be, not this ugliness I have up now. XD)

Fixed roster
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 02:42:55 pm by Garoth Moulinoski »

• Super Smash Karts

Busternaut

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 01:40:44 am »

That is terrible.
Mod Edit: Some constructive critisism. Is it so hard to explain why you think it's terrible?
Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:35:39 pm by TomPel »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 74 queries.