Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Godbeast  (Read 3650 times)

The Godbeast
« on: November 19, 2010, 12:10:01 pm »
For the better part of the last year, I've been designing and working on a dream project of mine, titled The Godbeast. It's a 3rd person shooter with stylized graphics and a modern setting.
It might be difficult to get a clear view on what I mean, but I can refer to a few other games that were an inspiration in some shape or form. Namely, Killer7 for movement and graphic style, Sin&Punishment for the action, and, loosely, BioShock for the art deco area design.

I can't say much about the story, partially because I don't think it's important and partially because it's not completely finalized. For now, just consider it a modern Knight saves Princess from Dragon affair.

I'm making this game in Unity3D, with JavaScript as the programming language. 3D models are created with software such as Wings3D, Blender and SketchUp. Textures in Corel Painter X. Target platform: PC as a free (browser) game, unless I can manage to get it on Steam or something.

The gameplay and control systems are generally "finished". With this, I mean that the player, the enemies and even a few bosses have been programmed and animated. However, I won't bother bringing out a demo at this point in time.

But, I do have several images of character and enemy models, plus some shots of a temporary level:

Edit: Ignore the signature.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:29:40 pm by Tyler »
how the !@#$% is this spam

this is an alt account for hyrule_boy
Re: The Godbeast
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 03:43:00 pm »
I really like it just one problem which may be come from the fact that it is a screenshot:
The character blends in way too much with the area as seen in your bottom two pics.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 04:04:54 pm »
I'm aware of that. Not sure how I'm going to change it yet. The lighting in general will receive a huge make-over so that might work. Otherwise, camera positioning plus the fact that your character will be moving around should make him more noticable.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 07:19:21 pm »
I think the lighting could be this, it has its charisma. My advice is to get a white outline around characters. I think that would give a good effect.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:39:01 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I generally hate the look of these monochromatic/stylistically graphically scaled back games- for the most part they're overdone and to me it seems pretentious and doesn't really add any flare to the game itself. It usually seems like an excuse to put less effort in the graphics while at the same time using the graphics as a vehicle for the game. That being said; I actually like the red and white though and I think you could pull it off nicely. Instead of having a lot of colors shittily blended in the game, you've chosen to go even more minimalistic, and it makes it look leagues better than games like Mad World or Killer7 IMHO. I do think white outlines could give it an added effect, and you could probably even do a red outline around the enemies.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 09:26:39 pm »
An outline would be interesting, but I'm not sure I can pull that effect off in Unity.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 09:32:08 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
An outline would be interesting, but I'm not sure I can pull that effect off in Unity.

I've seen Unity do some nice shader effects and stuff. You might want to talk to Moldy about them though. He'd be able to help you way more than I with Unity :p
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:06:28 pm »

Looks kinda funky.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 10:26:49 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
You can have the outlines only affect the outside of the model, which should reduce a lot of the funkiness :P
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 10:34:34 pm »
I kinda like it, but you could also do only the outline.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 12:44:57 am »
I think you should make the outline alphablend, so it doesn't remove the feeling the original has.. ..  I must say I really enjoy how the game looks I even loved more the one without outline but thats my taste... Also the hud has some weird white points you didn't deleted from AA.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 01:25:39 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
I remember when you were asking me to texture that protagonist model ;P (if this is who I think it is, and if it's still the same model)
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 09:06:23 am »
I think you should make the outline alphablend, so it doesn't remove the feeling the original has.. ..  I must say I really enjoy how the game looks I even loved more the one without outline but thats my taste... Also the hud has some weird white points you didn't deleted from AA.
Yeah, I didn't AA it properly. The HUD isn't final anyway (for instance, that red bandana is supposed to be a temporary health bar) so I didn't fix it when I noticed it.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 11:00:26 pm »
Yeah, I didn't AA it properly. The HUD isn't final anyway (for instance, that red bandana is supposed to be a temporary health bar) so I didn't fix it when I noticed it.
how about the red circle to be the health bar?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 63 queries.

anything