Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QT, anyone has ever played around with it?  (Read 1778 times)

QT, anyone has ever played around with it?
« on: November 26, 2010, 10:39:28 pm »
Okay, just to point out I mean this QT => http://qt.nokia.com/

Now the question to why I am interested in it. For my master thesis project I need to work with and program for a tool the university is developing. It is a tool that eases prototyping with OpenCV. However it is build in Qt Creator and the Qt Library and Utilities. It is nice and very extensive. It offers platform independence. However it also makes it feel very a lot like Java. A shitload of new stuff on top of C++ original stuff with a shitload of new features, that are spread over a shitload of classes and thus a shitload of things to memorize. Oh yeah and a number of keywords.

Well, my problem is not the extra features, but it does get overwhelming with a lot to learn. So I wonder if anyone has experience with it and what you think of it.

noseblunt3

Woodman is awesome
Re: QT, anyone has ever played around with it?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 09:06:08 pm »
I started using it this week actually(school project).

It's kinda confusing at first, but once you understand how to connect signals and slots, you can build an app with "relative" ease.

I think it's a great framework.
Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't waste time by sitting around doing nothing either!

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:18:32 pm »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
Qt is a great library, better than wxWidgets in many ways IMHO. signals and slots doesn't is just the tip of the iceburg :3

also don't worry about the "stuff added on" it's VERY fast and moc does a heck of a job of translating everything before compile time. Yes the debug libraries are huge (QtGuid4.dll is > 100 MB) however the release runtimes are tiny offsetting this.

one tip i have is to RTFM, it's your holy bible of Qt, don't bother trying to remember anything, if your confused about something simply look it up. The documentation is extensive and covers almost everything (a few things are so simple it's not necessary to document them entirely)

My only gripe is the "custom" make file (the .pro) used by Qt Creator, it can be cumbersome and difficult to understand and is not documented well (yes I realize I just contradicted myself).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:25:35 pm by Antidote »
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:33:23 pm »
one tip i have is to RTFM, it's your holy bible of Qt
I know. It is the holy bible of almost anything. I am reading through the manual on-line and a book called C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4. Qt Creator is a nice IDE and with Qt Designer you can make very easy GUI's. But the guy that worked on the tool before me had some very advanced stuff in it and I have only a few weeks to get up to speed.

But is nice to know that there are a few I can call for help.

How is Qt's OpenGL options btw. The Qt creators themselves think it is good for making games, however other sources that I read state that it is not so great.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:40:09 pm by Niek »

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:48:55 am »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
It's just about as good as using OpenGL directly, you also have the ability to use Pixmaps as well, they have some detailed examples using OpenGL.
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 48 queries.