Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda - lost in translation?  (Read 1469 times)

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
Zelda - lost in translation?
« on: May 01, 2006, 06:43:28 am »
Hoha, I don't think this topic has as much relevance to be posted in General Gaming. So ahem... here we go.

The new Zelda - Twilight Princess is called "Tasogare no Himegimi".
Tasogare=Twilight, dusk. Alright.
BUT!
Himegimi (from google:)
Quote from: Google
(...)since "himegimi" means a daughter of noble rather than the princess(...)
Aha. Well, okay. Apart from the fact that a "daughter of noble" is most likely a princess, I kinda laughed at this one.

... I gotta find out more Zelda-Title in japanese and whether they really mean the same or not...
  • Me on deviantART
Re: Zelda - lost in translation?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 07:00:44 am »
lol thats strange the translation isnt precise o.o
but i dont really trust google anymore... not after they gave me bad directions from google maps....................
.................damn you google.......................
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 07:45:54 am »
  • The Broken King
you can't trust online map direction givers =P
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:05:39 am »
  • Silly cat!
Himegimi is the Japanese word used for Princess, as well Duchess or any other unmarried female noble. The name makes complete sense.

Hoffy.

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 08:14:07 am »
Himegimi is the Japanese word used for Princess, as well Duchess or any other unmarried female noble. The name makes complete sense.
Damn you and your japanese-knowledge. XD ;D

Well, I'm gonna look out for more titles then... XD
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 08:14:27 am »
see! the name actually IS accurate
i'm not surprised knowing that they make the games in japanese first and then translate it to english.
.........damn you google........
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 10:36:02 am »
Then, TP's japanese title is pratically the same as in english...
Remember TWW? The Wind Waker -> Kaze no Takuto (Tact of the wind)?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 07:25:09 pm »
Tact of the wind... lol dammit they got a better name ::)

Pyru

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 07:28:10 pm »
Part of what you're assuming is that they intend to go for a name that means the same. That might not be what they want to do- things are actually added in translation, sometimes. Jokes, subtleties in dialogue... so you end up with almost two different games.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 07:44:27 pm »
But in japanese things have different meanings depending on how you pronounce them, or how much emotion you put into it. It's just like what HoF said. That is what you would say in japanese for princess. It might translate to english as "daughter of a noble" but if you look at the defanition of the english word "princess" you will probably get something similar.

It's like, when you watch a movie in japanese with subtitles. The subtitles change things. If they translated everything exactly how it is said in japanese it would be ver broken up and akward to englishs tandards. So they translate it into our lingo. For example. I was watching "the last samurai" When he was asking the one guy what is your name" He would say The word for "Name?" In japanese. But that single word with the reight expression in japanese is like asking somebody "whats your name?" So whent hey are translatinging things like that to english. They just simply write "what's your name". With english, we have many words to fill thing sup. Like "like" and we use many words to describe something so small. Like "shake my hand " They might use one word for "the shaking of hands"

It's simplified. So I mean. If you have a sentence like "How about me and you go for a wlak in the park tomorrow?" It won't translate the same intojapanese. You can't find an exact word that translates for everything in english. You can't just go through the language, and pull out the word for how, about, lets, go, for, a, walk, tomorrow, etc. etc. So in english. We have so many different words. Like "dark, dusk, night time, twighlight. They just say Tasogare meaning those things, and Himegimi. Which may not translate to an exact single word like "princess" in english. But rather somting that sums up all of the defanitions such as "daughter of a noble" So if the game was called "the beautiful rainbow shines on us" and you translated the japanese it might say somethign really weird.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 12:59:37 am by skull kid »
We may be human. But we're still animals.

Pyru

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 09:06:22 pm »
It's the difference between syllabic languages and more western, latin and hebrew based ones, really...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 55 queries.