Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do we fear death?  (Read 12145 times)

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
Why do we fear death?
« on: May 09, 2006, 08:15:44 am »
The circumstance of getting the idea of this topic is rather odd, really. I watched FullMetalAlchemist, and Edward was about to be slaughtered, and tells Al that he thought he would die. That he was really scared.

Then I thought of why people are scared to die. I imagined myself standing near the edge of a cliff, and I know I'd be scared to fall down and die instantly. The only thing to fear though is the pain you will suffer before you die, and that's all.
Naturally all fears you have are based on instincts from our ancestors (I mean really long time ago). Why would they have feared death?

Last note: Actually death is a release, if you think about it. So why would people fear it?
  • Me on deviantART

Ultimate

Re: Why do we fear death?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 08:39:02 am »
Maybe people just fear the unknown
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 08:51:37 am »

True, not also that our bodies have a drive to live (hence the whole making babies thing). We are trying to live and carry on, if we are dying we cannot do that. It is an evolutionary thing that ensures our survival, nothing more, a force of nature.
  • Elliott Parkinson

Fox

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 09:00:40 am »
Both are very interesting thoughts, they're both supporting my idea of that fear being a natural instinct.
  • Me on deviantART

Ultimate

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 09:06:04 am »

True, not also that our bodies have a drive to live (hence the whole making babies thing). We are trying to live and carry on, if we are dying we cannot do that. It is an evolutionary thing that ensures our survival, nothing more, a force of nature.

So true, you also just spilled the beans on the meaning of life too!

Fox

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 09:17:43 am »

If this is the real meaning of life, it's somewhat pathetic in my opinion (which isn't meant to offend you!).
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 09:48:50 am »
  • alastair
Not all of us fear death
  • alastair

Fox

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 10:06:41 am »
That's true, but naturally they do...
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 10:16:14 am »
  • =/

If this is the real meaning of life, it's somewhat pathetic in my opinion (which isn't meant to offend you!).
Guys, I said that exact same thing over a month ago.
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 04:11:41 pm »
  • The Broken King
I fear not death itself, but dying before I have done the things I want to do in life. That may apply to others as well.
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 04:19:22 pm »
  • Txet Lanosrep
I don't fear death, I only fear that after death, well I don't know...  Will I not exist?  Will I be nothing?  Well I hope in my heart, Heaven is true.

Retro
  • TITANIC
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 04:25:51 pm »
ever considered its not death peopel fear, but being forgotten?

I dotn fear death and i wish to be forgotten for i have done nothin to deserve to be remembered for, i will live my life teh way i want to and taht means extreme things everyday endin up in a ton of pain, but atleast i can say i enjoyed it ... up until the pain anyways. If people keep on livin by circumstances how do you expect to have a fun life? i would jump of a bridge and enjoy teh fall not expectin what will happen when i hit teh floor .. nor caring.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 02:45:02 am »
  • Huzzowee!
Because human instinct is to live. Pure and simple. It takes a long time to subvert your primal fear of death and to come to a sort of acceptance. Those who commit suicide would have to be in a damaged mental state (eg: very severe depression) to overcome it. Alone though, it will always be present. If you think about it, almost everything we do is about liviing, or bettering life. That's because it's our instinct to live, and we follow this instinct as far away from death as possible.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 08:16:18 am »
All our lives we are... alive, and its all we're used to. Somthing like death completly takes what we are used to to a screeching hault. If sum1 were to tell me i was going to die in two days i would be scared. Its like TRW said, If you have accomplished all you wanted to in life, than death wouldnt bother me.

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 01:17:49 pm »
Exactly.
I fear pain not because of instinct (not anymore), because it can be a sign of reduced state of life, and possibly a preventative of what i desire to accomplish before i die.
I have no fear of the pain involved in the possible ways of dying - Sure i'd like my last few moments of thought to be peaceful and physically comfortable, but 'if yer gonna die, yer gonna die' (Iron Maiden - Die with your boots on). The fear during painfully slow death, would be death itself, for me.
I never want to die, because although i dont believe that i can find myself fully content in life (Though the general things will take me 99%), i want to create, develop, write etc infinately. Theres no way a mortal life can possibly satisfy the projection of my imagination to other humans, and apart from have a family, thats what i desire.
However that doesnt mean i wont be ready to die one day. I'll eventually get old, my memory wont be so usefull, and ill be too tired to use my imagination. Then i'll await my death bitterly, though withought fear.
I believe that when i die, that is it; The end of my existance, withought thought forever. Though the idea of not existing was one i tried contemplating as a child (I had unusual questions like "What would it be like - What would be there if nothing existed?", which usually just got me strange looks or told to shut up) i can accept it in the same way as i can say, wait passively for TP to be released, or completely ignore all the crazy drama that swamps this place.
In life, there are two obvious things to fullfill: Everyone wants to feel important (and cared for) (And for some, this is to be good, pure), and no-one wants to be bored out their skull.
Generally speaking, once the first ones out the way, the second problem can eventually arise. If my existance was a blank slate, death would be a saviour. Once people feel they have made 'their mark on the world', as it has been said many times in this topic, they can choose to die withought fear.

Unless im physically or mentally crippled, Ill always fear death. And that true fear has no respect to instinct - - I wish to learn, grow, develop and be forever amazed by what i learn of existance around me.
Of course, some believe that when you die, you go to a place where you have such knowledge. Well, i dont believe you are there to go anywhere when you die, and i'd rather learn for myself anyway.

Death is the shadow to my hearts content, not my inner-monkeys preprogramming.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace

Fox

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 04:32:39 pm »
Unless im physically or mentally crippled, Ill always fear death. And that true fear has no respect to instinct - - I wish to learn, grow, develop and be forever amazed by what i learn of existance around me.
I think that is our natural way to go, thus it's instinct. I think.
I had unusual questions like "What would it be like - What would be there if nothing existed?", which usually just got me strange looks or told to shut up
I did something similar, I imagined what I would feel like when I was dead. Like... you see nothing, you hear nothing and you feel nothing. Actually you wouuld have no thoughts. I always thought that I had that feeling for a part of a second, but that was just imagination.

• Me on deviantART

TP

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 05:28:43 pm »
We fear death because we love life.
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 01:31:27 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
I fear not death itself, but dying before I have done the things I want to do in life. That may apply to others as well.
Yes, I second that.

We fear death because we love life.
Well, what about the whole suicide thing? If people hate life, why would they fear death  :-\

Not all of us fear death
Same, I do not fear death, I am sad for others I will leave behind, like my family. I would be fine if me and my family could all die at the same time... Then no one would be left behind alone... thats the only thing I fear about death.
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 01:43:41 am »
  • Its the joeshmo!
I am not the kind of person who would commit suicide, but I wouldnt really care if I died. I dont fear death. I have done nothing worth living for, I have very few friends to morn for me. I embrace the idea of doing something new. I have always thought my body was... I dont know, diseased? Not normal in any case. Although I am smarter than most people I lack social skills, I am usually a few months behind on styles. I dont like my looks. I see no point in living, we live, we give birth, we die. Is there any real point? Nothing we do as an individual in life will drastically affect anything in a hundred years. I also find it unproductive and boring to just live in an infinate whiteness. Boring. The last few years of my life have puzzled me. I feel like I am waiting for something, death, acceptance, I dont know. My brain and concious continously told myself "You won" or "You finished it". What did I finish? Nothing. I have accomplished nothing worth notice in my existance.
  • Netterra Virtual Pets
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 01:56:20 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
I can't really bring any religion into this... but Religion is a reason. And also to have as much fun as you can. And make your mark in history ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 73 queries.

anything