Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Just bought a NES on eBay...  (Read 5884 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
Just bought a NES on eBay...
« on: January 24, 2011, 12:52:18 pm »
  • Silly cat!
Hey yeah, it's actually a really fun machine. Something about buying the console second-hand for $90 and playing games how they were meant to be played, instead of downloading a ROM for free in less than a second, or downloading it from the Virtual Console, or whatever it is, as if anyone still uses that thing anyway. I guess the real reason I made this topic was because I needed to express myself in regards to Super Mario Bros. 3, a game I had never played before really.

Now I've been playing the original Super Mario Bros. too, where I can get to World 8 in a couple minutes (taking short-cuts of course)... though, I can't finish it. I've been playing that game for years.

But Super Mario Bros. 3 is different! It's so much better and so much more advanced! And pretty impressive for a NES game, obviously R&D had learnt their way around the NES hardware by that point. Point is, it's so fantastic, and large, and long, and satisfying (o_o) but, there's no save function? Not even a goofy password system like other games of the era. I have to somehow get through all 8 worlds in one sitting, even though, I assume the game has to be a couple of hours long, give or take some contingency time considering I love to kill my Mario's because I'm an unforgiving !@#$% or something.

Heavens, God, tell me how the gamers of the '80s put up with this crap!

I could just leave my NES on for days. It's not like the machine even lets out so much as a hum or a whir. It's not like it would annoy anyone... I'd feel bad for the little guy, though.

Anyone have any experiences with completing this game on NES? Or, anyone wanna call me a weak '90s-bred gamer hell-bent on having everything easy and completable?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:00:49 pm by Hoffy »

Hoffy.

DJvenom

super-sage
Re: Just bought a NES on eBay...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:00:03 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
It was what was available to us. We weren't spoiled with save files.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
>_o you paid $90 for your NES?
I've purchased 3 in the past 4 years for under $10 a pop at thrift stores :\

But anyway, NES has the best collection of games to date, imo :P

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 01:03:50 pm »
  • Silly cat!
Australia's just a different environment. These things are rare, second-hand shops might maybe have them, but you'd be lucky to find one, and for a decent price...

Actually, I've been watching NESs on eBay for a while, and this was a pretty good deal, considering...

Hoffy.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:44:06 pm »
You could also warp in SMB3. Finish up to a certain world, then warp back to it later using warp whistles from world 1. You'll lose progress, since it's technically starting a new game and then warping to the world you left off in, but it's the closest thing to saving.

Warp whistles are here:
1-3: At the end of the level, duck on a white block and then run behind the blackness at the end of the level.
1-Fortress: At the end of the first screen with the door and the dry bones, run and fly above, then run right and keep hitting up until you find a secret room.

Using one warp whistle will bring you to the warp zone with worlds 1-3. In worlds 2-6, using a whistle will bring you to the warp zone for worlds 4-6. Using the warp whistle WHILE IN the first warp zone will bring you to the warp zone with 7-8. In the last two cases, you need both whistles.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:45:46 pm by Reo »

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 04:25:25 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
Theres also a warp flute at the end of world 2 but you don't really need it, you just need to use the hammer item you get from the Hammer Bro on the very top right rock of World 2.

I never really found any of the old NES games too hard though, but Ninja Gaiden II destroyed me :P, finally had to cave in and use the game genie, then when I finally get to the last stage the codes somehow wore off... Really surprised me when I died and my lives went down, still beat it though, about 4-5 hours of playing nonstop :D
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 07:10:00 pm »
  • The Mike
I know there's a used games store near me that has an NES for $29.99. I got my SNES there last year for $39.99 and I'm loving it. I really want to get an NES though.

• Zelda Eternity

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 10:01:41 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
I got an extra NES awhile back by buying a broken one really cheap off of eBay and fixing it, it's usually just the pin connectors being bent and thats an easy fix, you can fix them yourself or get a new one for $8 and replace it.
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 01:26:21 pm »
Just wanna say that I have seen some Buy It Now refurbished NESs for $49 the last few days. :/
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 05:29:52 pm »
I have seen tons of NES in my city mostly in bazars ;), I was planning on buying one not sure how cheap they are ;). Actually a friend of mine has an Intellivision not sure how rare are those >_<.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:31:53 pm by Kren »

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 06:35:48 pm »
  • .越//
i just wondered, is NES regionfree ( usa/europe/jap all playable ) ?

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 06:39:08 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Evidently not, as after a quick search I've found videos and tutorials on how to make it region free.

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 06:50:09 pm »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
it's not exceptionally difficult to do either
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 01:23:37 pm »
  • odens knop
Making a NES region free means disabling the lockout chip. Remember that:

- NTSC-U and NTSC-J (American and Japanese) games run at 60Hz, so if they are played on a PAL-A or PAL-B console they will run 17% faster than they should, rendering some games unplayable. The same thing applies to playing a PAL-A/PAL-B game on a NTSC-U/J console except it will be 17% slower. To fix this you basically have to install a modchip that can switch between the 60Hz and 50Hz modes. It's a pain and not really worth doing, you are better of just getting another NES from the region you desire.

- Japanese NES games don't exist. They had the Famicom instead with entirely differently shaped cartridges. They will NOT fit in your regular NES unit.

- It's just a pain and not worth doing in my opinion. Get a Famicom!
|LEUS HERTAN MINAT|

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 09:21:34 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
Roms. You aren't "destroying the gaming industry" by playing games no longer being manufactured. They are cost free, region free, and problem free. Sorry if this breaks any rules, but I just think it's dumb to go out and buy 2 unsupported systems for their trend price (the price people would pay just to say 'yeah, I have an NES!') which is obscenely overpriced for the technology you're getting.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 09:28:42 pm »
Roms. You aren't "destroying the gaming industry" by playing games no longer being manufactured. They are cost free, region free, and problem free. Sorry if this breaks any rules, but I just think it's dumb to go out and buy 2 unsupported systems for their trend price (the price people would pay just to say 'yeah, I have an NES!') which is obscenely overpriced for the technology you're getting.
It just doesn't feel the same. Ya know?

Just kidding, it feels exactly the same if not better. I will never understand the "I must play this on a TV!" feeling.

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 10:20:51 pm »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
if you "Must play on a TV" hook your computer up to the TV there problem solved :P
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 10:30:50 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm with Deefs on this one; honestly I just don't see the fascination with having the console. I bought mine just to gut it out and put a computer in it, and THEN I rommed out.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 07:07:24 am »
  • Silly cat!
I just want to own the console. It's nothing to do with playing it on a TV... I can do that anyway. I just wanted to own the console in physical form, because for some reason it makes me happy, I dunno.

Hoffy.
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 07:30:17 am »
I'm with Deefs on this one; honestly I just don't see the fascination with having the console. I bought mine just to gut it out and put a computer in it, and THEN I rommed out.
Mammy, you don't get it do you. It does not have to do with playing it on a TV, it is about possesion. Having the console shine beneath my TV, having a shelf full of cartridges that you can pop in the console once in a while. Visiting memory lane by just holding a controller. It is about having a collection. Most people collect coins, stamps, art or Pokemon. I am one of those that collects videogames.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 78 queries.