Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How I would improve pokemon.[spoilers, I guess]  (Read 3888 times)

Re: How I would improve pokemon.[spoilers, I gue...
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 12:08:22 am »
Well I agree with most of the suggested changes here. But I do not agree less pokemon are better. (151) The more the better I'd say. even though some of them (especially the pre-evolutions) are starting to look really, really weird.
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 12:46:11 am »
I do say more space for pokemon really, just beating one league out of.. 4 is really lame it doesn't mean you are the best, I do say more region so you can catch all pokemon and probably choose where to start and which pokemon to start, like starting with a pidgey or a meowth.
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 02:13:54 am »
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
oh it's very broken, only blind pokemon fanboy nubs think it's fine.

here's what I'd do.

First, I would completely disregard everything after pokemon yellow.

I would get rid of the stupid grid based movement so you can move diagonally etc

I would let other trainers "join your party" like the cartoon.

I would make the battles similar to fighting games, one arena per terrain, long grass, beach, forest, etc.
each arena has a different design, rocks to stand on, hide behind, trees to climb etc.
each pokemon still has four moves, but you can also run around and jump.. maybe block also.
this would work so much better, say you've got a more athletic pokemon, well he can jump higher, run faster etc, a stronger pokemon would be slower, but more powerful etc.

I would forget all the stupid !@#$% like beauty contests

I'd go back to the original 151.. maybe 200 including some from G/S

And I'd make the game not so god damn slow, I couldn't play the DS pokemon games for more than half an hour, the text is too fuckin slow, and there's stupid !@#$% in battles like "the sun is shining" "the rain is pouring" that you have to read in between every sequence of attacks.

Gamefreak is the stupidest, laziest and luckiest developers out there.
gamefreak + pokemon = EA + madden
I'd have to disagree with that.

First of all, the text "the rain is pouring", and "the sun is shining" has an effect on battles. It powers up whatever element Pokemon correspond to. For example, Piplup's moves would be powered up if it was raining as long as the moves were water-type moves.

Second, why do you give a !@#$% about there being so many pokemon? Variety is good, and my party has alot of pokemon from different reigons. I agree, there is too many legendary pokemon, and most of them are now easy to get.

Third, the battle system is fine as it is, the only reason you're changing it is because you'd rather Street Fighter styled fighting games over RPGs, and if not then I can't see why you'd change it. It's a classic turn-based RPG, not some japanese-inspired fighting game with big boobs. The speed is also fine too, I don't see why you need to change it, unless you have ADD, or you're psycho and jog in place while you play a cute and relaxing game. There's one thing you could do anyway, change the text speed to fast in the options, and get running shoes or a bike.

Lastly, the Pokemon Super Contests were fine, and weren't part of the storyline. You never had to play it ever.

So, I think you're too uninformed about the new Pokemon games to be changing things, and if Nintendo really made a pokemon game like that, I'd rather it be non-canon.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 02:43:14 am »
  • Silly cat!
Yeah, Pokemon needs a reboot.

Is it going to get it? I doubt it. At least, not for a while. I'm fairly sure GameFreak no longer have passion for what they're making, they're just continuing the franchise like it is because it would be stupid not to, and it's also easier this way.

Nintendo might kick their asses if they screw up bad, so let's hope that happens.

Hoffy.

uma

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 03:02:15 am »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.

First of all, the text "the rain is pouring", and "the sun is shining" has an effect on battles. It powers up whatever element Pokemon correspond to. For example, Piplup's moves would be powered up if it was raining as long as the moves were water-type moves.

Second, why do you give a !@#$% about there being so many pokemon? Variety is good, and my party has alot of pokemon from different reigons. I agree, there is too many legendary pokemon, and most of them are now easy to get.

Third, the battle system is fine as it is, the only reason you're changing it is because you'd rather Street Fighter styled fighting games over RPGs, and if not then I can't see why you'd change it. It's a classic turn-based RPG, not some japanese-inspired fighting game with big boobs. The speed is also fine too, I don't see why you need to change it, unless you have ADD, or you're psycho and jog in place while you play a cute and relaxing game. There's one thing you could do anyway, change the text speed to fast in the options, and get running shoes or a bike.

Lastly, the Pokemon Super Contests were fine, and weren't part of the storyline. You never had to play it ever.

So, I think you're too uninformed about the new Pokemon games to be changing things, and if Nintendo really made a pokemon game like that, I'd rather it be non-canon.

Classic pokemon fanboyism...

Variety is good, but quality is better than quantity. There are so many uninspired generic pokemon in the pokemon universe that its just pretty radiculous.

And the battle system needs some major innovations. I'm all for turn-based, but I would prefer a pokemon action rpg. Many of the long time fans wouldn't want a change in battle system though because they fear change, rather than embracing something that could possibly be better. If they're really fans, they would buy it anyways, even if the battle system is different.

Its not like you would buy a pokemon game for anything else... It has barely any story, the characters barely have a personality, the graphics are mediocre, the music is good but nothing to buy a game for... The only reason people buy it is for the sake of collecting things. The game really only revolves around collecting things. Spending countless hours walking around in tall grass waiting for pokemon to attack until they've captured every single 400, 500+ pokemon. Going to different gyms to collect badges, ect...

Don't get me wrong, theres new stuff in pokemon games sometimes, aside from more pokemon. Diamond and Pearl had the day/night system and stuff which added a twist to hunting those little mutants whom which you can't see on the feild, but it isn't a big enough change to really make it any more interesting.

Aslo, whats wrong with big boobs? XD
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007, 06:40:12 pm »
Takam is right...

Pokemon needs a lot of changing. Nintendo will probably change the next pokemon's battle system, but they'll pull a Square-Enix and be pussies because the fans will get up set that there trying to breath new life into a dull dull series and change it back.

Damn you SE... *Shakes fist*
Yeah, and I liked FXII... :'(
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 09:04:41 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.

Classic pokemon fanboyism...

Variety is good, but quality is better than quantity. There are so many uninspired generic pokemon in the pokemon universe that its just pretty radiculous.

And the battle system needs some major innovations. I'm all for turn-based, but I would prefer a pokemon action rpg. Many of the long time fans wouldn't want a change in battle system though because they fear change, rather than embracing something that could possibly be better. If they're really fans, they would buy it anyways, even if the battle system is different.

Its not like you would buy a pokemon game for anything else... It has barely any story, the characters barely have a personality, the graphics are mediocre, the music is good but nothing to buy a game for... The only reason people buy it is for the sake of collecting things. The game really only revolves around collecting things. Spending countless hours walking around in tall grass waiting for pokemon to attack until they've captured every single 400, 500+ pokemon. Going to different gyms to collect badges, ect...

Don't get me wrong, theres new stuff in pokemon games sometimes, aside from more pokemon. Diamond and Pearl had the day/night system and stuff which added a twist to hunting those little mutants whom which you can't see on the feild, but it isn't a big enough change to really make it any more interesting.

Aslo, whats wrong with big boobs? XD
You know, just because someone has an opinion doesn't make them a fanboy.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 09:58:40 pm »
  • Silly cat!
And what's wrong with being a fanboy?

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a series so much that you know it back to back. If anything it proves that your opinion is more valid than someone else's.

Although it does make you super-annoying.

[/off-topic]

Hoffy.

uma

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 12:11:47 am »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.
Takam is right...

Pokemon needs a lot of changing. Nintendo will probably change the next pokemon's battle system, but they'll pull a Square-Enix and be pussies because the fans will get up set that there trying to breath new life into a dull dull series and change it back.

Damn you SE... *Shakes fist*
Yeah, and I liked FXII... :'(

I was actually referring to Dragon Quest 9. It was originally going to be an action-rpg, unlike the ones before, but because fans were complaining SE had to get all scared and change it.

I could've been such an awesome game...  :(

And what's wrong with being a fanboy?

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a series so much that you know it back to back. If anything it proves that your opinion is more valid than someone else's.

Although it does make you super-annoying.

[/off-topic]

Whats wrong with being a fanboy? Well, fanboys are never open to drastic changes, like a battle-system change. They feel the need to complain to no end about how much the battle system will suck compared to the old one even though they haven't even given it a chance. They also get really annoying when they try to deflect negative comments with some kind of explanation that makes it sound like you shoudn't be complaining about it.

Fanboys are like me, super-annoying, simply put. :)
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 02:25:58 am »
Well, they could make some spinoff Pokemon game wherein there's more gameplay involved in executing attacks and such.  Games that come to mind are Paper Mario(which I am currently going through for the first time) or Megaman Battle Network 2. 

For example, perhaps if some pokeyman wanted to use Aero Blast or whatever that attack is called, you'd have to aim it at the enemy in a matter of time, and maybe you'd have to charge it by pressing certian buttons or something.  Unless I'm missing something, pressing buttons won't do anything to gain attack power while fighting in any of the games as of now.
- Click to go to thread
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 01:47:54 pm »
I can't stress enough how dumbfounded I am by the lack of diagonal movement.  Why the hell isn't it there?  It should have been implemented by the second set of games.

Most of the arguments already listed are good suggestions that I can't really comment on, but I do have something to say.  How is it that games like Megaman.EXE get amazingly low scores due to lack of change, while Diamond and Pearl received some of the highest scores possible?  That makes absolutely no sense to me.  How can a lack of change be the entire focus of one review while the review of a Pokemon game by the same reviewer makes almost no comment on the same issue?  No sense at all.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 01:58:22 pm »
I was just saying that I was only seeing the same pokemon over and over again, yes I caught alot, but they were hard to find compared to the numerous bidoofs and such.

Take a look at the real world for a minute. Pidgeons everywhere. Seagulls everywhere. There are some crows, some !@#$%, but pidgeons are dominant.

Bidoof = Pidgeon
Starly = Seagull

And the rarer Pokemon are the other types of birds in the world. I mean, if you walked outside, and you spotted every species of bird in five minutes, it would get boring really quickly.

Same with Pokemon! If you saw huge varieties of Pokemon all the time, soon you'd seen them all. No more challenge to filling the Pokedex, or the excitement after running around in long grass to find your dream Pokemon, only to find it and catch it.
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2007, 05:37:33 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
Well If I wanted to spot common things...I WOULD look outside...but I don't really play video games to emulate real life. And I don't really think that there would have to be all pokemon in 5 minutes, but if they have 493 pokemon, then there shouldn't just be 2-5 ones you see all the time!!!
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2007, 02:58:27 pm »
o_o Are you serious, Kylink? I saw a new pokemon in every new area. Maybe you're just unlucky?

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 12:54:53 am »
  • :3
In response to number 4:

Pokemon Gold and Silver had 16 gyms. 8 in Kanto and 8 in Johto. You started off in Johto, then you fought the trainer from Red and Blue in Silver Cave- which is in a mountain ridge between the two regions- he has a level 80 Pikachu. I think G/S/C was the only game to truly improve over its predecessors, and be a true sequel.

Takam- the games should never be like the cartoon- since the cartoon is based off of the games. Diagonal movement would ruin traditional elements of the game as well. All the puzzles/obstacles/dungeons in the game practically revolve around this element.

If GameFreak took Pokemon back to basics, then it could be awesome again. They're making too many Pokémon. They're being made for the sake of being made, and the developers have less time to focus on other aspects of the game, then. In Gold- instead of making a new Pokemon- they'd find new places to find the other ones- like headbutting a tree to find a wild Butterfree/Beedrill, or the day/night factor. Sure, there were a hundred more Pokemon- but some of them were just evolutions, and they were spread out over two regions. So you could actually get them as you went on your way- not getting them all hundreds of hours after completing the main game itself. Now they put the regular amount into the main land- and try to cram as much as they can of the remaining ones into a pathetic excuse for an extra land. Woo, three routes and a "battle area" that you don't really want to play anyway, and kind of defeats the object of beating the Pokemon League to be the best trainer ever when there are trainers there who are stronger than you. Seriously- they just crammed all they could into there. And then they made some randomly spawn in "swarms", and the "Pokéradar". That's 6 methods it takes to get all the Pokemon (tall grass, trading and breeding too). That's proof there's too much being added.

Pokémon Gold was perfect. There was no nonsense- the legendaries were actually done during the story line- well could be, and after beating the Pokemon League, you actually got a decent reward. A ride on the S.S. Anne to Kanto, to beat another 8 Gym Leaders- see how it's changed in 7 years, and complete more of the story line. When I found Jasmine in Sunyshore City in Diamond, she said "I'll tell you more about Johto", and I was very disappointed to find there was no Johto- let alone a mention of it. There was tons of cool stuff in it that isn't in Diamond or Pearl still.  You could give your mum a share of your money, and she'd buy you things with it sometimes. Be it a potion or room decoration. The Underground feature is pointless to me in D/P.  Nothing was pointless in G/S/C, and the fact you could properly trade with R/B/Y was also awesome. I'm still waiting for a G/S/C remake- but the islands in FR/LG probably stopped that, because  the Pokemon outweigh the game itself now.

Your rival actually was a rival- and a villain. Not your best friend. He literally knocked you flying- and stole his Pokemon. An actual bad-ass.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2007, 11:53:58 am »
  • *whistle*
In response to number 4:

Pokemon Gold and Silver had 16 gyms. 8 in Kanto and 8 in Johto. You started off in Johto, then you fought the trainer from Red and Blue in Silver Cave- which is in a mountain ridge between the two regions- he has a level 80 Pikachu. I think G/S/C was the only game to truly improve over its predecessors, and be a true sequel.

Takam- the games should never be like the cartoon- since the cartoon is based off of the games. Diagonal movement would ruin traditional elements of the game as well. All the puzzles/obstacles/dungeons in the game practically revolve around this element.

If GameFreak took Pokemon back to basics, then it could be awesome again. They're making too many Pokémon. They're being made for the sake of being made, and the developers have less time to focus on other aspects of the game, then. In Gold- instead of making a new Pokemon- they'd find new places to find the other ones- like headbutting a tree to find a wild Butterfree/Beedrill, or the day/night factor. Sure, there were a hundred more Pokemon- but some of them were just evolutions, and they were spread out over two regions. So you could actually get them as you went on your way- not getting them all hundreds of hours after completing the main game itself. Now they put the regular amount into the main land- and try to cram as much as they can of the remaining ones into a pathetic excuse for an extra land. Woo, three routes and a "battle area" that you don't really want to play anyway, and kind of defeats the object of beating the Pokemon League to be the best trainer ever when there are trainers there who are stronger than you. Seriously- they just crammed all they could into there. And then they made some randomly spawn in "swarms", and the "Pokéradar". That's 6 methods it takes to get all the Pokemon (tall grass, trading and breeding too). That's proof there's too much being added.

Pokémon Gold was perfect. There was no nonsense- the legendaries were actually done during the story line- well could be, and after beating the Pokemon League, you actually got a decent reward. A ride on the S.S. Anne to Kanto, to beat another 8 Gym Leaders- see how it's changed in 7 years, and complete more of the story line. When I found Jasmine in Sunyshore City in Diamond, she said "I'll tell you more about Johto", and I was very disappointed to find there was no Johto- let alone a mention of it. There was tons of cool stuff in it that isn't in Diamond or Pearl still.  You could give your mum a share of your money, and she'd buy you things with it sometimes. Be it a potion or room decoration. The Underground feature is pointless to me in D/P.  Nothing was pointless in G/S/C, and the fact you could properly trade with R/B/Y was also awesome. I'm still waiting for a G/S/C remake- but the islands in FR/LG probably stopped that, because  the Pokemon outweigh the game itself now.

Your rival actually was a rival- and a villain. Not your best friend. He literally knocked you flying- and stole his Pokemon. An actual bad-ass.

Kyubi, thank you for actually recognising that in terms of Pokemon as a series, GSC was the best. What I'd really like to see is a Wii pokemon game, in 3D, following the "traditional" league structure, but with all four regions shown in the game boy games (and maybe more regions, from the spin-offs...). That's the main issue I have with the series right now: the graphics (ugh, so ugly) and the lack of acknowledging previous games for anything other than pokemon.

Bustertheheroic

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2007, 03:49:15 am »
I would let other trainers "join your party" like the cartoon.
I totally agree with this and what kylink said
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2007, 08:46:09 am »
  • All Hail Crappy Sprites!
Urgh 3D on the DS. If it was done properly, I would get it, but if it ended up looking like Spectrobes, then I'd just be sending the cart on a ten mile flight to hell.

Going off what Kyubi said, the goal was to beat the league to be the best trainer! But that contradicts what he says about gold >.> Hes saying you face the pokemon league, to get to go to kanto and face the other 8. So they obviously are better than you in the fact you face them afterwards. Then there is Red/Blue who I could never beat, his level 100 pokemon mashed mine in so he is the true 'Best Trainer' in johto after the League members. Also I think the rival in Gold/Silver/Crystal shouldn't have gone and stolen the pokemon, thats intended for team rocket and all the other teams in pokemon, and I'm pretty darn sure he isn't a rocket.

I think they should make it a little bit harder than it is now: I'm rampaging my way through Fire Red with a 34 Venasaur and a 25 Gyarados as my mains, currently hunting a good fire pokemon. I have some backup pokemon, but they are currently 1x and I can beat my rway through my rival just using Venysaur and Gyarados (I did that once, got magikarp a hell of a load of exp by beating my rival with ivysaur)
Its just way too easy to beat your way through when you have a pokemon that compliments your main one, I could have started with Charmander and have a Grass pokemon and a Magikarp (I buy it, 15 levels and you have an ultimate pokemon) by the second gym, at the third all of them would be level 20 minimum!

EDIT:
Also after reading the first post again (and remembering when I emulated D/P) I think they should let you have a party of trainers that is a maximum of 2 or 3. Items, inventory, and pokemon would be independant and it would allow for multiple wild pokemon to attack you at once (one trainer could catch one pokemon the other kill/knockout the other one)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 08:54:12 am by CociCookie »
~Project List~
-Untitled RPG - Barely Started!

Bustertheheroic

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2007, 04:51:32 pm »
That would be damn awesome if you could have a party of 2-3 trainers.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 01:22:51 am »
  • :3
Urgh 3D on the DS. If it was done properly, I would get it, but if it ended up looking like Spectrobes, then I'd just be sending the cart on a ten mile flight to hell.

Going off what Kyubi said, the goal was to beat the league to be the best trainer! But that contradicts what he says about gold >.> Hes saying you face the pokemon league, to get to go to kanto and face the other 8. So they obviously are better than you in the fact you face them afterwards. Then there is Red/Blue who I could never beat, his level 100 pokemon mashed mine in so he is the true 'Best Trainer' in johto after the League members. Also I think the rival in Gold/Silver/Crystal shouldn't have gone and stolen the pokemon, thats intended for team rocket and all the other teams in pokemon, and I'm pretty darn sure he isn't a rocket.

I think they should make it a little bit harder than it is now: I'm rampaging my way through Fire Red with a 34 Venasaur and a 25 Gyarados as my mains, currently hunting a good fire pokemon. I have some backup pokemon, but they are currently 1x and I can beat my rway through my rival just using Venysaur and Gyarados (I did that once, got magikarp a hell of a load of exp by beating my rival with ivysaur)
Its just way too easy to beat your way through when you have a pokemon that compliments your main one, I could have started with Charmander and have a Grass pokemon and a Magikarp (I buy it, 15 levels and you have an ultimate pokemon) by the second gym, at the third all of them would be level 20 minimum!

EDIT:
Also after reading the first post again (and remembering when I emulated D/P) I think they should let you have a party of trainers that is a maximum of 2 or 3. Items, inventory, and pokemon would be independant and it would allow for multiple wild pokemon to attack you at once (one trainer could catch one pokemon the other kill/knockout the other one)

I'm talking about rewards. Kanto is a whole new land. The Battle Frontier is within Hoenn, so that's all that contradicts the Pokemon League. In Gold, the only person in Johto stronger than the elite four is the main character from Red/Blue/Yellow, which is evidence that GameFreak did acknowledge their series for more than just the Pokemon. They're treating it as a cash cow now. Also, he's the Pokémon Master, and is training by himself in the middle of a mountain range, and doesn't need proof that he is the best. That was the whole idea of it.

And your rival in G/S/C is Giovanni's SON!
Gannon-banned brother.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 75 queries.