Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pokemon Walking Engine  (Read 12281 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Pokemon Walking Engine
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2008, 09:11:03 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Positions? So you keep a vector of variables with previous positions? like
int oldpos[16]; ?

If I'm not mistaken, that's how the actual game did it anyway--- I cant remember too specifically, but I've been inside and out of it XD (ask MiN; we were trying to make pokemon stuffs and it was uber complex), and I believe it just remembers last positions up to a certain point
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2008, 11:56:50 am »
  • The devil in the mirror.
Finally got a look at the latest download, didn't have a computer to test on before now =P
Anyway, looks good, and seems to work well, but It might just be me, but doesn't it follow too fast? They seem to overlap now and then. And one thing, 700 lines of code? =P lol, Well, I can't say anything, I'm up to 3000-4000~ lines of code, and only have rendering x3
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2008, 01:51:29 pm »
I've already explained why there are so many lines, and it is not like if you mashed all of what was in a Game Maker program into one code source like you would have any less.  As for it being too quick, you both move at the same speed - I looked at Pokemon Yellow on an actual Game Boy and it seemed to have a little overlap as well. 

Some of that overlap could be handled with an evaluation of depth also, but I haven't included that yet as I thought it wouldn't be necessary.

The code I used for the following object was just:
Code: [Select]
    if (spot_y > ASH_PY)
    {
      spot_y -= 2;
      spot_d = 0;
      anima++;
      return;
    }
    else if (spot_y < ASH_PY)
    {
      anima++;
      spot_d = 1;
      spot_y += 2;
      return;
    }
    else if (spot_x > ASH_PX)
    {
      anima++;
      spot_d = 2;
      spot_x -= 2;
      return;
    }
    else if (spot_x < ASH_PX)
    {
      anima++;
      spot_d = 3;
      spot_x += 2;
      return;
    }
    else
    {
      spot_d = d; 
      anima = 0;
      return;
    }

I haven't used vectors yet as for evaluation I only needed to test components of up, down, left, right, or nothing.  I'll go back later I guess.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:54:54 pm by 4Sword »
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2008, 01:59:52 pm »
  • Minalien
Finally got a look at the latest download, didn't have a computer to test on before now =P
Anyway, looks good, and seems to work well, but It might just be me, but doesn't it follow too fast? They seem to overlap now and then. And one thing, 700 lines of code? =P lol, Well, I can't say anything, I'm up to 3000-4000~ lines of code, and only have rendering x3
Bearing in mind the fact that he's still fairly new to C++ and SDL, hasn't taken the time to clean, organize, and optimise his code, that's somewhat reasonable.

Quote from: Mamoruanime date=1222171010
ask MiN; we were trying to make pokemon stuffs and it was uber complex
You mean you were asking me to convert algorithms for determining experience and levelling from the mathematical forms to VB.NET.

On that note; Tim, if you need any help with things such as the experience algorithms, and how to implement them, feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:02:32 pm by Minalien »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2008, 04:19:41 pm »
Yeah, just looking it over, I could simple a few things for the better, but I'll do that once I get all the capabilities out of the game state that I need or whenever the code needs itself to be improved before such capabilities can even exist.

Also, I have added views which is actually pretty easy to do (all you do is draw things relative to a position on the screen).  I will release my next demo though once I get the collision system sorted out.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2008, 09:06:34 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Quote from: Mamoruanime date=1222171010
ask MiN; we were trying to make pokemon stuffs and it was uber complex
You mean you were asking me to convert algorithms for determining experience and levelling from the mathematical forms to VB.NET.

On that note; Tim, if you need any help with things such as the experience algorithms, and how to implement them, feel free to ask.

lol yes that

Although I forgot that there was a ton of other stuff that I probably never showed you on the pokemon stuffs because I got horribly deterred by it :P

D: that games structure is asd;ajsd;kahsd
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2008, 09:51:10 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Heh, C++...hell to try and make good engines in until you get used to it. Then you start building finite state machines inside finite state machines (admittedly which just makes it all one big fsm, but it sounds cool) and all sorts of craaaazy things without really paying much attention to how far you've come.
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2008, 06:30:23 pm »
Part of this feels rushed (especially the collision detection), but I thought I would show what I had anyway.  I fixed an error in animation, began using ternary operators ( ?: ), split the file up and cleaned up the code a little, made it so you can change direction without moving, got rid of some of the global variables that were not needed, added a fixed view, etc.

http://www.zfgc.com/index.php?action=games&sa=getdownload&id=283

Also, if anyone wants it, I could probably edit my old Game Maker code so that it would have a following object for that too.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:32:50 pm by 4Sword »
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2008, 07:18:30 am »
Update: I got bored and even though no one requested it, I went back and made this all into Game Maker.  The code is a little bit sloppy and redundant at parts, but I was trying to make it so the logic in the code itself could be preserved for when I implement this back into C++.

New feature:
- Clefairy follows Ash, even off of ledges in a similar fashion to Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow

http://www.zfgc.com/index.php?action=games&sa=getdownload&id=284
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2008, 10:01:45 pm »
This isn't an update with anything in it other than a progress update.  I have gotten further, but I still feel as if it is not worth showing yet.  That, and I have been a little busy with my classes at my university.  With this in mind and even though no one has posted in this topic for a while, I am locking this topic.  Hell, I didn't even get a reply for the last update, but meh.

Locked.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 54 queries.