Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Request / Linking] Producing a Zelda Game  (Read 2727 times)

/M/

[Request / Linking] Producing a Zelda Game
« on: May 29, 2006, 04:00:17 pm »
I'm currently gather tiles and things for making a zelda game, yet now I need a good program.  Here's what most of the people here use..

Zelda Classic: Not interested. Makes simple games with strong limitations.

Game Maker: Kind of hard to learn to program language..

MulitMediaFusion/TGF: Not use to this program, but I don't know how to even start a game with this program.

So what do you guys suggest is the best (easist) program to make a good zelda game?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:37:47 am by Niek »
Re: Producing a Zelda Game
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 04:36:39 pm »
I'm currently gather tiles and things for making a zelda game, yet now I need a good program.  Here's what most of the people here use..

Zelda Classic: Not interested. Makes simple games with strong limitations.

Game Maker: Kind of hard to learn to program language..

MulitMediaFusion/TGF: Not use to this program, but I don't know how to even start a game with this program.

So what do you guys suggest is the best (easist) program to make a good zelda game?

Well, for easiest gamemaker is incredibly easy, however i dont like its limitations, for quality and function purebasic/assembly are amazing, but incredibly hard to learn. Here is my advice, learn to use gamemaker drag and drop, then learn gml (gamemaker code), and then learn purebasic, i cant point you in a better direction really.
  • Elliott Parkinson

/M/

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 04:39:08 pm »
You actually "have" to learn the GML to even make a good zelda game. "Click and Drop" isn't really a good idea.. :'(

And pure basic, never heard of it.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 04:50:00 pm »
If your not willing to learn you will never produce anything good. Sorry but it has to be said.

Anyway best advice i can give is to use a basic language (blitzbasic, purebasic, ...etc) then move upwards to things like C++ / Java ...etc.

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 05:01:51 pm »
  • With a Capital G
While Purebasic, C++, etc. don't have the limitations of Game Maker, the way I see it is, you need to be pretty good at game producing already to reach those limitations.

If you want to make a more simple Zelda experience, maybe just Link with a sword and bow, then focus mainly on making the room and puzzle design great, GM can be just what you need. There really is no way to make a very advanced game if you're not an experienced producer.

If you want enemies with AI, weapons like the hookshot, jumping and multiple depth planes, dungeons with scrolling rooms, dialogue, cutscenes, the works, then you may need to play with the limitations a bit, but GM can do those things, provided you're good at programming. In this case the language is not important, just the ability to work well with a language. And it may look hard, but GML is more flexible and easier to read than many other languages.

I've never used MMF, and as far as I can tell TGF and RPG Maker are even more limited (although there are some users of each around here), so I think that if you want to make a few games as a hobby, and not really get concerned with moving on to extremely advanced things or apps, then the way to go is to use GM and start with games that are "good" in ways that aren't necessarily "full-featured". I would encourage that; the reason there are so few finished and many canceled games is that a lot of them try to be full-blown adventures.

If you're hoping to get serious with game production, 'better try the Helios method.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 05:57:52 pm »
Hmmm MMF/TGF are both highly flexable and easy to learn, uses an even editor system which is nice.

There are a few tutorials on here made by me and others which would be useful.

Only downside is it costs but then there is a free demo which I don't advise cracking as its not the full version of MMF, MMF2 will be coming out sometime along with TGF2 both will be alot better than their allready great counterparts.

But honestly learning a more advanced scripting laguage is a good idea, especialy if you want to take the experiences of making games at home into a workplace, they would expect you to have coding knowladge.

I ♥ Open Girlfriend (What!? I didn't add this.. must have been Solly!)
  • My DevArt Account

/M/

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 12:02:26 am »
I agree helios, I've never realized that..  :P

Benitos: Can you post the link of your tutorials?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 12:53:38 am »
[link]

Look down the page under click engines or something.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:37:09 am by Niek »

I ♥ Open Girlfriend (What!? I didn't add this.. must have been Solly!)
  • My DevArt Account

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 06:22:20 pm »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
*ROFL* GML HARD Thats funny i've been programming in it for a couple of months now (Though i am learning c++) and it's a breeze
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 09:29:39 pm »
  • odens knop
For just games, use Game Maker.  If you'r making [Insert anything here] then use C++.  If you really want to make this game (somewhat good) you have to learn programming.  Play around with engines and look at the codes and stuff.  And when you're ready, try to make your own.  Or just use the engine.  But don't expect your first game to be perfect, cause it wont be, nobody's was.  You'll see.

*ROFL* GML HARD Thats funny i've been programming in it for a couple of months now (Though i am learning c++) and it's a breeze

STFU, give the man some space.  He wears G-Unit clothes!  ;D

[Edit]

Welcome to the forum man!

* Linky does handshake

If you need help just ask.  And do you like Hiphop?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 09:33:05 pm by Linky »
|LEUS HERTAN MINAT|

dylan623

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 09:43:14 pm »
I say use GM. GM is VERY easy, and you can make most of the game with D&D. You can do almost everything in GM that is not "metagame" (Interacting with other programs, affecting GM itself, etc.) I have ZC and RPG Maker and they are both crap. If you don't want to learn a complicated programming language (I know GML is a "scripting language", Helios) use GM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 56 queries.

anything