Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gonzo calls for the end of fansubs  (Read 759 times)

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
Gonzo calls for the end of fansubs
« on: November 30, 2007, 09:42:54 pm »
In a recent interview with Active Anime, Arthur Smith, President of GDH International and the man responsible for every piece of Gonzo anime(Hellsing, Gantz, Last Exile, Speed Grapher, basalisk, and many more) that ever reached American soil making it here at all, had this to say about fansubs,

"Internet piracy is the single biggest global threat to the anime industry and fansubbing is at the heart of the piracy problem. Fansubbed versions of programs recorded in Japan make their way to every illegal outlet for video content, these illegal outlets damage the ability of Japanese producers to sell DVDs and sell into Television in local markets and make it increasingly difficult for the studios to pay the animators, voice actors and actresses, writers, original creators, and everyone else who makes the anime that some fans enjoy responsibly and legally and that some fans pirate illegally.

The US market for DVDs is down 30% in terms of DVDs sold and more than that when looking at revenues since price per DVD is also coming down.   We have a lot of evidence which leads us to believe that a large part of the decrease in volume is due to illegal file sharing.

We understand that fans are really keen to see our shows as soon as possible (and that is really appreciated!!) but illegal file sharing and postings on streaming sites like YouTube are destroying our industry – and the starting point of file sharing is fan subbing.  In order to try to protect our livelihood, we must do something and the whole industry in Japan is beginning to realize that we can’t stand by…otherwise the entire industry will disappear….that’s how bad things are!!"

Here's a link to the full interview: http://www.activeanime.com/html/content/view/2171/2/

Discuss.
Re: Gonzo calls for the end of fansubs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:47:12 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Well its partly these companys faults, because if they released them in English, peeps would make fansubs. As it would be a waste of time.
The only fansubs I've watched are the ToS and ToP OVAs and if they came out in England id buy htem anyway because I love them.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 09:53:32 pm »
Well its partly these companys faults, because if they released them in English, peeps would make fansubs. As it would be a waste of time.

Would or wouldn't make fansubs? Your post confuses me.

The fansubs would be made regardless, because of:
1. people who !@#$% about the dubbing in the english version
2. people who just want it for free.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 09:56:06 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Ahh apologes, i meant if they released them in English there WOULDNT be a need for Fansubs.
And I agree with those two points, but I think it'd at least cut down the amount of fansubs. Id rather see a English version then a subtitled Japanese.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 10:27:44 pm »
Hmm, this seems really familiar.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 11:01:37 pm »
Well, a smart move would be to actually show them subbed on TV, officially. I'd watch anime on a channel, but my anime channel has obscure anime.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 11:25:45 pm »
  • I put this here for the sake of that one thread
Isn't this..old news? What do you call old news? Olds? D:
Good thing I'm swedish, land of little to none anime :D WHOOO

I </3 Sol

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 11:32:58 pm »
  • :3
The answer: dubs are crap and detract from the anime. Also there are linguistic errors and the voices often don't match the characters, whereas they do in the original Japanese versions. So yeah, just the subbed Japanese versions.

Hey EZD.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 12:47:41 am »
Oh, not this again...
But if you really want my help, get someone in Portugal to work on animes I actually like, oh, and money - yeah, I'm that poor, and DVDs are very far from worth my money...
They should be thankful. If it wasn't for internet, Anime wouldn't be as famous as it is today, not even 30% of it.
I mean, with fansubs, I can:
 - spare 20 euros on 6 episodes I would only watch once;
 - let me enjoy anime at a frequency (both dates and hours) I can accompany;
 - true, inaltered stories;
 - hear Japanese music (not disco-party mixes while throwing random character images);

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 06:53:13 am »
Oh, not this again...
But if you really want my help, get someone in Portugal to work on animes I actually like, oh, and money - yeah, I'm that poor, and DVDs are very far from worth my money...
They should be thankful. If it wasn't for internet, Anime wouldn't be as famous as it is today, not even 30% of it.

What good is that publicity if they can't make any money off of it?

- spare 20 euros on 6 episodes I would only watch once;

Even if you're only going to watch 6 episodes, you're still on a slippery slope.

- let me enjoy anime at a frequency (both dates and hours) I can accompany;

So you couldn't do this with a DVD? Or a show from iTunes?

- true, inaltered stories;

What do you mean by this? The One-Piece editing?

- hear Japanese music (not disco-party mixes while throwing random character images);

All the shows I've seen on DVD (and quite a few on tv) have the original Japanese intro.

The answer: dubs are crap and detract from the anime.

So I'm guessing you've never seen Hellsing Ultimate in english? Stop generalizing.

the voices often don't match the characters, whereas they do in the original Japanese versions.

That's because the first one you saw was the japanese version. So of course you're biased.

Hmm, this seems really familiar.
Isn't this..old news? What do you call old news? Olds? D:

This is a completely different link than the other two I posted. PAY ATTENTION. >:O

Good thing I'm swedish, land of little to none anime WHOOO

Sweden doesn't matter.

Well, a smart move would be to actually show them subbed on TV, officially. I'd watch anime on a channel, but my anime channel has obscure anime.

Wouldn't be very efficient though. They still have to aquire the licences to broadcast them on TV in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 07:25:58 am by Swiftu »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 58 queries.