Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tutorial - How I Make My Music.  (Read 26101 times)

Re: Tutorial - How I Make My Music.
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 04:13:26 am »
Er, wow. Thanks :P I'm not sure if I could say it's that good, but it's nice to hear the comment. Hopefully you guys will like all the songs on the soundtrack this much. :P
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 05:23:09 am »
I heard some of the samples, and my god yes, I think we all will.
the a o d c
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 06:21:38 am »
Well, good to know. Figured I would update this here while I'm at it, even if technically this is the tutorial topic. Sorry for going offtopic on my own topic T__T.
This is the current list of songs on the soundtrack. Red tracks are finished, uncoloured tracks have not been started on yet.

1. Crystalline River
2. In the Shade of Luin
3. Rest
4. Mircrea
5. Jetsam
6. Cavernous
7. Withering Disdain
8. Rice Fields
9. Lantern Village
10. Parched Sand
11. Windchimes
12. Floating Silence
13. The Forest
14. Seraph's Sonata
15. Wary Travellers
16. Victorious
17. Perilous
18. Judgement
19. Journey's End
20. Credits

20/20 (I'm done!)

Just a sort of visual to show how far this thing has come.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 02:52:05 am by Q.K. »
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 06:37:00 am »
Sounds like a small game judging the small list of songs. I'm probably wrong, the maps are probably big.
the a o d c
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 07:03:50 am »
Actually, the maps are going to be rather large. I originally had planned to do 36 or so tracks in order to give each and every area its own song, but I figured it would be more time efficient, and create a more cohesive feel if similar areas shared songs. There are still certain tracks that are area specific, like In the Shade of Luin, Jetsam, etc. I've since trimmed it down to the optimal amount of 22 songs - I doubt I could work things out to use any less tracks! :P

The game itself will be long, don't worry about that. ;)

In other news, I've remixed the track Jetsam. It was previously a piano piece, but changed it to guitar and marimba combo, which gives it a much more fitting feel for a coastal village.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 09:11:21 am »
Aww, Piano pieces usually sound more emotional. It depends on the scene it's used I guess.
the a o d c
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 09:22:37 am »
Yeah, but the piano really didn't fit this piece. Take my word for it, the piece has been greatly improved by the change. :P

In other news: I'm on fire! I just finished yet another song on the soundtrack... making it, oh... 15/22? w00t. I finished the song "Land of the Nephilim". It's a pretty ambient, creepy, Phantom of the Opera meets Dracula type song. Haha, alright.
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 03:47:45 pm »
  • Seppuku Arts
Good tutorial, just as well I have been working on music, I went straight to composing in my VST tracker, which I suppose is not a good idea, I suppose I should grab my guitar, write something, use powertab to get it down and so on. This was quite helpful, I'll see if I come out with anything that doesn't sound like a horror track ;).
Project: Shadow Behind The Leaves
Dark Basic Pro | Cinema 4D 6 | Hexagon 2 | Blender |  Photoshop 6 | C++/Ogre/Irrlicht | C#/Delphi/Truevision | Torque Game Engine 1.4
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 06:39:57 pm »
Heh, there's nothing really wrong with starting off with a VST, but I do find it easier to work on a song when I have all the major parts worked out, and possibly even in MIDI form.
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 07:04:23 pm »
The things I might change in Luin is the chimes at the beginning - they should be a bit longer and not so loud. Also, the small screeching I mentioned earlier should be longer and have some delay on it. It would sound 10x better. Personally, I don't love the ending. Like the last few bars or so - it seems like a rushed ending. Also, if you are planning on looping it...well, it will sound odd.
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 07:16:58 pm »
Already ahead of you Scooternew ;) I noticed those things too and I've gone back and fixed most of it already. Good to know though. Personally, I actually do like the ending of it :P I understand it wouldn't loop that well though. Hmm... well, I might go back and change it, who knows.
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 12:27:42 am »
I also think there is too much reverb. I opened your midi in FL and added some effects, as well as a few sliders - it sounds almost exactly like yours, but I wanted to show you how much reverb I thought you should have. Also, I added in the oboe in the background (instaed of a clarinet) along with some delay - I think it soudns really cool, especially if the notes vary. So obviously not this version, but the few things I added, as well as my reverb level, are what I prefer. But of course those are just suggestions from one person.

www.scooternew-media.com

This also shows how easy it is to make midi quality really good quality with a few effects. Also, if anyone is wondering why my version soudns so much like his, it's that I'm using the same flute and harp soudnfonts.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:31:33 am by Scooternew »
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 01:44:31 am »
I think you meant to link people to www.scooternew-media.com/Luin.mp3

Anywho, I'm probably going to have to disagree with you a bit, once again :P. Personally, at this point, lowering the reverb would have a few negative effects. Firstly, it would make the instruments sound a bit too dry and flat for my tastes. Secondly, as all the other tracks have similar amounts of reverb, that I used to give off a grandiose, mysterious effect to the game world, the loss of reverb would make it out of place.

As for the oboe - that's actually not too bad, but it's too sharp. It's cutting right in, then going away too fast. I might work something out similar to it though, you never know.

Now please, don't take this the wrong way! It's not as if I'm purposefully trying to be stubborn here! :P I just have a few reasons why I did things the way I did. In the end, I suppose you could say it comes down to personal preference, for details like this. In any case, your points are valid, however I'm not sure right now how many of these points I will in fact change. Still, thank you. It's always good to hear someone else's opinion.
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 02:43:57 am »
I love that song no matter who modifies it. I enjoy both. I can hear minor differences, but nothing that changes the song's mood majorly.
the a o d c
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 03:29:43 am »
Yeah, both versions actually do have their pros and cons. Again, thanks for the edit Scooternew.

In other news... yes, I've finished another song. Haha, that makes it 16/22 songs! Man, I've been pumping out songs like mad these past few days. Anyways, I finished the music to be used for caves. I'll keep this one for the soundtrack release though. Hope you enjoy it.
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 03:42:44 am »
I know, I know! Don't worry. You are a great composer. I was just giving you my take on it. I don't care whether you like my idea or not. It soudns good regardless. And you did make the piece.

Actually, I've listened to it few more times, and I think I now agree with your reverb level. As far as your changes to Jetsam - that makes me very happy, because the piano was beginning to seem weird, especially for a coastal area.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 05:06:46 am by Scooternew »
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 07:01:24 am »
Question, Q.K., what do you do when all 22 songs are done XD. Test? :P
the a o d c
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2007, 12:33:48 am »
When the songs are all done, you'll be able to purchase the soundtrack in a variety of file formats off of Binary Phoenix. Costs will be low, and used towards the costs of working on Crystalline River. I'm only thinking of somewhere around $5 for the soundtrack. And think about it, you'd be supporting ZFGC's indie game devs! :P
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 03:53:11 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
dude..i love you for this and fruity loops is now my new best friend.  My mp3 problem has been solved =D

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2007, 02:04:28 am »
Jazz++ says my sound card doesn't support some kind of midi to audio sync, so what do I do now?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 74 queries.

anything