Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 in 5 Americans believe the Sun revolves around the Earth  (Read 4431 times)

Re: 1 in 5 Americans believe the Sun revolves ar...
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 08:29:40 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
The problem with these publicised surveys is that now everyone believes ALL Americans are retarded. That's why I'm not fond of them.
that's true too, our education system sucks, but we are far from the "dumbest" country.  a lot of the people that make these surveys target stupid people and will actually fudge statistics to make america seem really stupid.

and i never knew that there were actually people that thought amsterdam was a country.
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2007, 08:53:54 pm »
  • :D
As far as the general public goes, America is pretty much the dumbest country on earth. Especially when it comes to geography.

You're the dumbest country on earth :(

The problem with these publicised surveys is that now everyone believes ALL Americans are retarded. That's why I'm not fond of them.
qft <3
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2007, 09:24:34 pm »
Geez... You must be joking about this... <_<
1 in 5 persons... that makes it 20%... I wish I lived in such a place... I'm surrounded by dumbasses, here... >_>

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 09:39:32 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
People are idiots. What more do I need to say?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2007, 10:30:42 pm »
Is this news?

I'm not surprised. and 50% of the time that I joke about stupid Americans I am just joking. Now that's going from 50 to 99%. No offense. :D
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2007, 11:15:01 pm »
  • *whistle*
Strontium is an element. Doesn't have a "chemical make-up". It's just strontium. :P
I worded it wrong.  I meant the subatomic configuration, like protons/neutrons/electrons, the things that give it its unstable radioactive properties.  But alright, you got me there.

Atomic number 38; 38 protons, 38 electrons. Mass number 90, so it's gotta have... 52 neutrons. It's a heavy isotope of strontium (something you can tell by looking at a periodic table), so that's why it's unstable. Again, not really complicated knowledge, just some basic understanding of chemistry/physics and some basic maths.

I could tell you some stuff about this chemical that really would be useless for average, everyday life. For instance, when burnt, strontium compounds burn with a strong red flame, which is often used in distress flares, and sometimes other things, like fireworks. Cool, huh?

And there's a large difference between specific knowledge like that, and general understanding of basic concepts, like, y'know. Molecules.
I got that specific info from the article, which stated:
For example, he said, in the era of nuclear tests he asked people whether they knew about strontium 90, a component of fallout.
Alright, I'll admit I may have taken it to the opposite extreme, like the article itself did, but I still do question the validity of the data.

Fair enough.

Sounds like more of a "wah wah I'm a professional scientist and I'm mad that people don't understand science as well as I do!" type of thing really.  The average person can get by without knowing the chemical makeup of Strontium-90 and its radioactive half-life, thankyouverymuch.
Strontium 90's radioactive halflife is 28.78 years, as it so happens... and people living around, say, Chernobyl WOULD want to know that, so they could find out how much !@#$% they're in. :P
Thank god for Wikipedia!! 

Yeah, it's very useful for figures like half-life, relative atomic mass, and stuff like that. I'd question the rest of the content, though.

I'm very thankful that Canada is almost 100% atheist. We only learn evolution here, no creationism.

Actually, according to the 2001 census, over 77% of Canadians identify themselves as Christian; over 6% as other religions, with around 16.5% idnentifying themselves as not affiliated with any religion. That doesn't even mean athiest - agnostics, and those who believe in gods rather than religions would come under that 16.5 as well.

I really don't see how you get from 16.5 to "almost 100%". That's some real dodgy maths there.

Although our Education system isn't perfect, I'm sure it's one of the better ones.

Yay for flawed assertions, and irony, as either a) you didn't know the real figures for religious distribution in your country or b) you were told something that's clearly wrong.

It'd be like Bush boasting about how America's a very liberal, accepting country...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 11:35:03 pm by Pyru »
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2007, 11:33:50 pm »
  • [sic]
<3 Pyru

And yeah, we're stupid because our education system pumps us full of useless facts as well as important ones without teaching us to differentiate, and then we end up working at McDonalds and Wal-Mart anyway, where all we need to know is how to pretend to care.
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2007, 11:54:06 pm »
  • When you express in one word, “the anus”
HURHURHRUHRUHR i herd americans r fat 2, FUK YEH CANDIA.
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2007, 12:23:12 am »
Wait a second......maybe the question we should all be asking is: "What percentage of the US population is considered mentally retarded?".
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2007, 12:48:45 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
the percentage that has an iq below 72.  or has that changed? it's been awhile since i read that 72 and under was considered mentally retarded.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2007, 10:06:38 pm »
You know, the one thing I love about America, is that I'm smarter than almost everyone I see, even the adults. It makes me feel special. :3
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2007, 07:53:34 am »
  • w00t
You know, the one thing I love about America, is that I'm smarter than almost everyone I see, even the adults. It makes me feel special. :3

A perfect example of
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2007, 05:19:56 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
I'm very thankful that Canada is almost 100% atheist. We only learn evolution here, no creationism.

Although our Education system isn't perfect, I'm sure it's one of the better ones.
What part of Canada do you live in? I know in Alberta its like 80% christian. lol.... >_>
I can believe this about the states. Generally, they are such idiots... I dont know why. Just america tends to be infested with idiots.
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2007, 03:52:22 am »
  • If not now, when?
I don't remember being asked this question for statistical reasons...
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2007, 04:05:16 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
They must have taken a sample of small people >_<...
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2007, 10:43:43 am »
  • O__O

What part of Canada do you live in? I know in Alberta its like 80% christian. lol.... >_>
I can believe this about the states. Generally, they are such idiots... I dont know why. Just america tends to be infested with idiots.
Wow... go ignorance. Less thinking for yourself.

I'm with you. Last year, Science class consisted mainly of trying to explain what we were learning to a few specific people.

Thank you, Acid. Most surveys are !@#$% because they survey a small group of people, and expect all of America to repeat itself in that small group.

And the answer to everything else in this topic: 2/3 of the world's ratios are made up on the spot. Although some say it's actually 3/5, or 10/15, or 1/1... get it? It's all !@#$%.

Yes, I picked the female trainer.  Want to fight about it?
Death Kirby :D Thanks behe
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »
  • *whistle*
Thank you, Acid. Most surveys are !@#$% because they survey a small group of people, and expect all of America to repeat itself in that small group.

They choose a statistically significant sized group, and make sure they have a fairly proportional representation of the entire country in terms of geographic distribution, and demographic groups.

It's a lot cheaper than asking 200 million people, and it isn't too inaccurate.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 70 queries.

anything