Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Animal homosexuality?  (Read 3661 times)

Animal homosexuality?
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:57:05 pm »
Is there such a thing as homosexual animals?
My boyfriend thinks that homosexuality is only possible in humans and dolphins because they are the only species that have sex for pleasure ...

Some interesting things I found while doing some I'm-bored-lets-research-this: (stuff about dogs)
Usually, an un-neutered male dog will mount another male dog as a display of social dominance--in other words, as a way of letting the other dog know who's boss. While not as frequent, a female dog may mount for the same reason.

Not surprisingly, the smell of a female dog in heat can instigate a frenzy of mounting behaviors. Even other females who are not in heat will mount those who are. Males will mount males who have just been with estrus females if they still bear their scent.... And males who catch wind of the estrus odor may mount the first thing (or unlucky person) they come into contact with

And a bunch of stuff about bonobo's doing homosexual things ... bonobo is such a funny word lol XD

The quotes are mainly to do with explaining seemingly homosexual behaviour, so they are against the idea that animals can be homosexual. I think that homosexuality may be possible ...
Re: Animal homosexuality?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 09:17:52 pm »
Is there such a thing as homosexual animals?
My boyfriend thinks that homosexuality is only possible in humans and dolphins because they are the only species that have sex for pleasure ...

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_displaying_homosexual_behavior
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 09:29:02 pm »
It happens, we humans are the only ones who see something wrong in homosexuality.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 10:06:55 pm »
  • ZFGC Founder
I disagree, I believe that animals are not truly homosexual, they do MOUNTING to show dominance. Instinct is different than LUST. Humans are the only creatures who do such things because of UNNATURAL lusts, brought about by either:

A. A (male) child will emulate the behavior of a parent if that parent is the dominant (overbearing) force in the family, normally homosexual males have an overbearing mother OR are trying to emulate sisters. (He may also develop a speech emulation or lisp, and in some instances may emulate the mannerisms and walk of the females to further this copy-cat behavior)

B. A (female) who has been wronged (cheated on, raped) by a male will cease to be interested in males sexually due to a survival mechanism and will cling to a woman for the safety that it brings.

EDIT:
C. A (male) who is sexually molested or abused by a family member or older male and is traumatized, may also cling to males believing (unnaturally) that this is normal behavior.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
A few of my male and female friends are homosexual as well, and in ALL the cases, it was either because of A, B, or C. I have had a long conversation with one of my guy friends who is gay, he tells me that he also got his oral fixation, he believes, because his overbearing mother breastfed him till he was 9 years old.

In closing, NO, I do not believe animals are homosexual. It's just a mater of Anthropomorphism
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:28:32 pm by TheRealMethuselah »
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 01:16:22 am »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
There's a kind of bird that mates for life... forgot what it was called. Anyway, there have been a percentage observed that stay with members of their own sex for whatever reason.
Pah.
That doesn't make it natural, though.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 01:29:37 am »
  • Personal Text
Humans are the only animal with the ability of choice. Homosexuality I believe is psychological (like TRM stated in a way), However, humans are still animals, so it is instinct to procreate with the opposite gender. However, since we have the power of choice, we would definitely like to experiment, to gain more knowledge, because thats pretty much the only way humans know how to live. So therefore, homosexuality is look upon as wrong, because it isn't normal animal behaviour.
What I'm trying to get at, is that animals can't be homosexual. No animal is, when you think about it.

What is and isn't right, are things only determined by humans.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 04:47:38 pm »
After reading what you guys have said about it ... hmmm, I kinda see that homosexuality in animals probably isnt possible, but then again we cant say for sure what is and isnt possible with our lack of knowledge.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 04:52:25 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
TRM: Doesn't that more suggest all sexuality is just learned behaviour? Therefore Humans are 'naturally' asexual...or bisexual...one of the two.

I hate calling things natural or unnatural: Anything humans do is natural, because, believe it or not, humans evolved just like plants and monkeys and pigs and sheep and hamsters, so all human activity is just a part of this natural evolution and therefore, natural. Try as we might to deny it, Humans are still a part of 'nature'.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 05:05:21 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 05:08:21 pm »
I don't think that animals are homosexual, and I think it doesn't really matter. Because there's nothing wrong with homosexuality!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 09:55:01 pm »
I don't think that animals are homosexual, and I think it doesn't really matter. Because there's nothing wrong with homosexuality!

TRANSLATION
Hello gay people. I am going to make myself look good to you, as well as those who support you, by saying nothing is wrong with you and not adding anything relevant to the topic.

Seriously bro, this has nothing to do with it being wrong. Why do you think there are no gay animals?
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 10:04:46 pm »
I guess this all depends on how you define a homosexual, if you define one simply as one who has sex with the same gender, then yes there are many examples of homosexual animals, just see windys post for example.

If you define it as a mental attraction towards males, as apposed to just doing it by mistake or through confusion, then I think your thinking way to much into animal psychology. The metal state of a animal is something that can't really be compared with that of a humans, they just don't have the same reasoning skills and metal acuity to be compared on the same level. For example, you can't say a male animal loves another male animal, as the term 'love' is an abstract concept made up by humans, something an animal would be unlikely to understand.

If you define it as a physical attraction towards males, then no I don't think they can. Physical attractions are based on hormonal changes, something which is unlikely to be confused without outside interference (for example a male animal getting accidently coated with the hormones of a female of the species).

Either way I don't really see it as something that matters, in the end, what affect does it have on you if or if not an animal has sex with the same sex.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 02:21:32 pm »
It's a shame we can't tell exactly what others are thinking. Animals especially.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:10:52 am »
  • Personal Text
In conclusion; If it is something that would make you happy, then it doesn't matter. You are happy. :)
(For humans anyways >_>)
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 06:29:49 am »
Animals don't !@#$% for fun, that's why.
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 06:45:44 am »
  • :D
Animals don't !@#$% for fun, that's why.
Bonobos do.  Look them up-- they have sex for fun ALL THE TIME.  That is really all they ever do, have sex.  All. Day. Long.  With anybody, male, female, who cares, they will !@#$% anything that moves.

I don't really think that most animals really have conciousness on the same level as humans-- they tend to be mostly instinct, so I think there isn't really room for homosexuality in most animals.  You tend to see homosexuality in the more intelligent species-- in which they have more concious thought, and may have sex for more than just reproduction. 

So of course it's possible, look at bonobos.  But humans > animals :)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 06:48:31 am »
Hmm... maybe that's an exception. Or maybe other animals aren't aware of having sex for fun, instead of impulse?
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 06:55:29 am »
  • :D
Hmm... maybe that's an exception. Or maybe other animals aren't aware of having sex for fun, instead of impulse?
That's basically how I look at it-- there are different levels of intelligence and conciousness for different animals.  The more intelligent species (apes, dolphins, humans) I think are more aware and in control-- and may have sex for fun more likely than animals who just want to reproduce.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 11:04:25 am »
What an interesting topic.

To sum up my beliefs briefly:

Homosexuality is generally defined as a both a physical and mental attraction for the same sex individual, considering this, there is no 100% sure way of knowing if an animal is truly homosexual or is simply acting on instincts. To find out we would need to learn the certain animal's thoughts and/or speak to them.

There are animals that have homosexual tendencies BUT they are only physical and instinctive as far as we know which would only make up ~50% of the "requirements" . Unless we somehow find a way to communicate with animals, it'll remain a mystery because we cannot refer to these animals as homosexual without knowing what's going on in their mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 69 queries.

anything