Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moral advertising  (Read 2200 times)

Moral advertising
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:19:49 pm »
  • *whistle*
Basically, the title of this discussion is too long to fit into the subject line, so here goes:

Is the marketing and advertising of products intended for young children and babies insensitive to the feelings of individuals and couples who have, recently or otherwise, had their last pregnancy end in miscarriage?

I'm sure you can understand how if you were expecting - and then suddenly not expecting - a baby, and then you're exposed to advertising that says "Here's what being a parent is like! Isn't it great!" would be extremely aggravating and distressing. (Yes, I was inspired by this CAD comic, but it reminds me of a discussion I'd heard before)

Even more so if the advertising was, for instance, a mailing list that was signed up to and difficult to get off...

Further to the point, should such advertising be controlled or perhaps banned?

So, start debating!
Re: Moral advertising
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:58:02 pm »
  • I need something new to put here...
Advertising is aimed to make the target majority want their product, so yes, most adds aiming for young children or parents with newborn babies normally would target the majority saying something such as: "It great fun having a child, and it's so much fun, but what if [insert problem here], well, never fear! [Insert product here] is here! So you can have heaps of fun with your kid!"

Every add would probably be potentially offensive, but we can't ban them all, otherwise how the !@#$% are channels supposed to buy good quality shows?

Obsequious Eye

King of Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 01:13:44 pm »
  • Yes, I am mocking you
Sure, that advertising can be offensive, but just about any type of advertisement can be offensive/insensitive if viewed from the right (or wrong) perspective.

We could just ban all advertisements. That would work. I wouldn't mind all that much, but then people would have to stop watching TV, because no more decent shows would be able to air (on second though, people would probably still watch TV...).

When we start controlling or hindering one aspect of this market, more and more problems will start to crop up (see first sentence). We should just leave it alone.
I'm watching you...
  • Omniscient Eye
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 01:17:34 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Im assuming you read Ctrl+Alt+Del?

Anyway, is any advert with a married couple in insensitive to divorcee's?
An Advert with an old woman in insensative to people who've lost their Grans?
Of course not.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 11:02:54 am »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
Since when was having a miscarriage supposed to be easy on your emotions?
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 46 queries.

anything