Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concert band commision  (Read 3907 times)

Concert band commision
« on: November 09, 2007, 04:36:51 am »
Just recently, my band teacher had mentioned hearing some of my music a while ago (lol) and asked if I would write a score for the senior concert band (my band class). So I basically get to write out an almost fully orchestrated (just missing strings) song to be played by a live band of about 50 players.They're also going to play it at the spring concert. !!! needless to say, I'm pretty stoked about writing it lol.

There's lots of parts I have to write for: flute, saxophone, clarinets, horns, trumpets, tubas, percussion, etc, but I'm working on what I hope will be my best orchestral piece to date XD. Can't wait to see how that goes...

Anyways, I'll be updating this topic with WIP versions of the song mockup (played by my soundfonts/VSTs with FL, haha) as I go along with this song. Here's hoping this turns out good. XD

(also, I'm including some very subtle references to a few video game pieces, just because... XD nothing too obvious though, the song's original...)

http://media.putfile.com/Bandsongfinal - Final version... C&C...
http://media.putfile.com/Bandsong - More recent 40 second preview... C&C!
http://media.putfile.com/20seconds - First 20 second preview... C&C?

And, here's the rough recording of us playing it live... the crappy recording kind of killed it, but I'll have a high quality version later next week.
http://media.putfile.com/Tsunami-35
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 04:09:44 am by Q.K. »

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
Re: Concert band commision
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 06:27:56 am »
  • With a Capital G
Awesome! My music classes in high school had us write pieces for the entire class (of about 15) to play, but never anything like that. Best wishes on your writing.

Also I love throwing video game references into "original" songs... just jazz up or transpose some of the chords so it's not obvious, but anyone who's paying attention will get it. I could post a short song with a camouflaged Zelda theme as an example.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 06:25:37 am »
we get to do that for individual study of music in year 12, where we either compose our own piece or arrange another piece. then they record it. our school band currently has around 45 players. we have got two double base players, and although a couple of the people play violin and cello, they play other instruments in the band. I can't wait till year 12, although they said I might be able to do it next year... I hope :)!
Good luck with the makings! :)
and btw, do you play an instrument in the band?
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:29:49 am »
Heh, sounds cool. A lot of schools here don't do that kind of thing where they have people write a song as part of the course, it's really rare to get the chance to write a song here lol.

Also, I play the lead alto saxophone in the concert band, and 2nd alto in senior jazz band. mmm... love jazz band.

I've thrown in about 4 different references into the first 30 seconds... haha, they're all just small things pulled from different game sources, they're not very noticeable.

I wish we had strings or a choir, it would make my job easier and make a better sounding piece... as it is we have like, 1 flute player and 4 percussionists... talk about unbalanced, haha.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 06:39:21 am »
very. I play flute in our concert band and baritone saxophone in our jazz. our band has 6 flutes, but only 1 french horn, 2 alto sax's and 3 trombones. everyone seems to pick either flute or trumpet or clarinet. and we really need some more percussionists, we got a gong about 2 months ago and tubular bells about 6, but the problem is half the time there's no one to cover them.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 06:18:03 am »
Ok, so I got really busy with school for the past while and I scrapped all 10000 of the old versions of this song... and I think I'm finally ready to keep moving on with this piece. Since I said I would be updating here with parts of the song... well, here's the first 20 seconds... it's still missing a lot of parts (trombone, saxophones, euphoniums...) and it's going to change before this is all done... but this is kind of where I've headed... tell me what you think??

http://media.putfile.com/20seconds
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 07:19:57 am »
not too bad. It has your distinctive style  :).
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 04:25:11 am »
  • Drop down and give me 9000!
I like it, don't know how to describe it but I love the warm tone. You seem to set a high standard...which you can keep up with, I wish you the best of luck with completing this :).
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 04:45:04 am »
HOLY HELL. This took way too long. And I'm not even done with it, but anyways...
I finally got around to working on this song a bit more. Here's the most recent version if you guys care to hear...
http://media.putfile.com/Bandsong
Er, I still have another minute and a half to go I guess. :x
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 04:49:58 am »
Really amazing buddy. I am expecting more from you =)
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 06:41:13 am »
Nice! I like it a lot. It builds up to the rest nicely.
And as you said earlier about your old version missing euphonium and such... have you even got a euphonium soundfont? I've been looking for one for ages myself.
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 11:31:01 pm »
Thanks guys. I actually don't have a euphonium soundfont... I just substituted some random, un-named horn sound in there that was kind of like it haha... I'm not worrying too much about the actual production quality of this song, which is why it might sound rough in spots, but it's really just a guide so I can print some sheet music off for the band to learn lol
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 10:33:31 pm »
IT IS DONE.
http://media.putfile.com/Bandsongfinal

(I was up until 4 AM finishing this so it may sound shitty. Go ahead and tell me...)
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 01:29:18 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Not bad, dude.
I could imagine it sounding great with real instruments - I'm not really a fan of the ones you used in that file.
Are you gonna videotape the concert and upload it and perhaps even show it to us?
I'm really jealous you got a chance to compose music for an orchestra! Damn you! :P

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 09:49:09 pm »
Yeah, the instruments here were all just placeholder sounds, I didn't bother spending any time making them sound good, they were just for reference for me to hear what's going on :p
Also, that ending there is really bad haha, I've changed it recently though and I might update it later.
Someone will probably videotape this, and we'll definitely get an audio recording of it... I'll post those later :p
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 04:08:49 am »
So we finally performed this thing. It was ok... not really good, but not terrible lol.
Granted, we only had about 2 weeks to practice this before the concert.
I have a really bad quality recording (it picks up a lot of the mistakes and loses a lot of the ambiance of the room)
However I'll get the good quality version that should sound better next week.
(Trust me when I say it's the recording that sounds bad lol... it even picked up minor, normally inaudible mistakes in the bands that performed really well, so I wouldn't go by this.. wait for the high quality one :p)
Still, this should serve as a general idea of how it went...

http://media.putfile.com/Tsunami-35
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 07:30:44 am »
Your quite right about that I think. It does serve a general purpose to hear what it was like though.
If you don't mind me saying, the things I picked up on most were mispitching and the overal intonation. It sounded a bit flat I think.
It's alright for two weeks though.
Anyway, when you get the better recording out I'll listen to it.
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 01:28:09 am »
Yeah, I know the quality of the band isn't very good, unfortunately I can't really control it too much.
One trombone was actually playing so out of tune he was a whole 2 semitones lower than he should have been haha, and blaring every note. And some messed up timing issues lol, but we'll be practicing it some more and then re-recording it later...
We'll see it if gets any better lol.
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 05:33:36 am »
Hopefully it does :).

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 05:35:25 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
nice :p

though the intro made me seriously "Space... The Final Frontier..." out loud :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 78 queries.

anything