Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best Gundam show?  (Read 7515 times)

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
What's the best Gundam show?
« on: June 10, 2010, 02:20:21 am »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
So, I just finished watching Neon Genesis Evangelion (total mindfuck) and I thought about watching some Gundam. I started Gundam Seed and maybe G Gundam or Gundam Wing but I really don't know much about them so can you guys help point me in the right direction?
Re: What's the best Gundam show?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:29:09 am »
I really liked Gundam and especially Gundam SEED. To me still one of the best shows, also with very good music. Gundam SEED had sequals in the series Gundam SEED Destiny and Gundam SEED C.E. 73 Stargazer. A number of gundam series are sequals to another. Go here to find out more information about Gundam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam

The series I think are definitely worthy to watch are:
- Mobile Suit Gundam (the original series)
- New Mobile Report Gundam Wing
- After War Gundam X
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (because it is the most recent series)

But Gundam is different from Neon Genesis in that the story is a lot lighter and more action driven. Nowhere near a little mind !@#$%. Although all the series together do address the philosophical question about "what the nature of war is".

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:38:26 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Segueing from Eva to Gundam is going to leave you very disappointed with how stale Gundam is in comparison... Granted I love Gundam, but you just can't go from one to the other. One requires you to be a bit of an intellectual to enjoy, the other is pretty much meat-head action with some incredibly fake, dull military politics thrown in to make it seem smarter than it is :P
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 02:02:34 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
I thought SD Gundam was really cool when I was 12...  it's the only Gundam show I've ever watched more than one episode of...

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 02:15:52 am »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
Segueing from Eva to Gundam is going to leave you very disappointed with how stale Gundam is in comparison... Granted I love Gundam, but you just can't go from one to the other. One requires you to be a bit of an intellectual to enjoy, the other is pretty much meat-head action with some incredibly fake, dull military politics thrown in to make it seem smarter than it is :P

I wouldn't say Eva is just meat-headed action. I'd say it's more of a religious-psychological thing, really. :)

I thought SD Gundam was really cool when I was 12...  it's the only Gundam show I've ever watched more than one episode of...

I remember the original series being pretty cool, but the newest is a show where the gundam are samurai. My childhood was raped. :(
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 05:33:02 am »

I wouldn't say Eva is just meat-headed action. I'd say it's more of a religious-psychological thing, really. :)

I think that Mammy referred to Eva as the more intellectual series and Gundam is the meat-head action.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 06:02:07 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Rofl Niek got it right :P

You had it reversed Malonfan :P

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 10:27:59 am »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
Oops. lol :P

On another note I watched the first few episodes of Gurren Lagann and, um, what the !@#$%. It's so weird. It's like gundam on crack.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:54:10 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
XD yeah, Gurren's one of those shows that increases in scope each episode you watch... If you watch episode 1 or 2, then watch the final two episodes, you'll see how massively everything's progressed :P
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 06:26:01 pm »
  • 笑い男
If you're after the characters/story/drama parts over the mechs (which you should be), then Gundam SEED should be a very nice watch.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 07:06:20 pm »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
If you're after the characters/story/drama parts over the mechs (which you should be), then Gundam SEED should be a very nice watch.

Yeah, I like Gundam seed, it's also a very pretty show.

By the way, watched the first episode of Shining Gundam and it is the cheesiest show I've ever watched. XD
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 05:48:11 am »
My two cents:

I have watched ALOT of Gundam over the years, including re-watching over and over.

My order of best to least(though they are all great):
Mobile Suite Gundam W (WING)
After War Gundam X
Turn A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam
Gundam SEED
Gundam SEED Destiny

If you actually watch them in the order they were released starting with Gundam W on to the present, Turn A and 00 have (to me anyway) a mindblowing ending about how they could be tied into the other series.  Hard to explain.  I don't want to spoil anything.

Just watch Mobile Suit Gundam--->Wing----->X-----> Turn A and the ending episodes of Turn A will blow your mind if you watched the previous three I mentioned.

Mobile Suit Gundam-----> SEED---->SEED Destiny-----> 00 and you'll have a "woah" feeling at the end of 00 with how it ties to the theme of the previous 3.

If you watch them in a kinda chronological order(always up for debate), you would start with Gundam 00 and end with Turn A.  Regardless Turn A is the end of "timeline" of Gundam.

Side Note: Unicorn looks to be pretty sweet.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 01:00:00 pm »
By the way, watched the first episode of Shining Gundam and it is the cheesiest show I've ever watched. XD
I have never heard of the show Shining Gundam. I think you mean Mobile Fighter G Gundam, that has the Shining Gundam and the pilot Domon Kasshu as its main character.

If you are starting to watch Gundam for the first time, than Gundam SEED, Gundam Wing or Gundam 0079 are probably the best to start with. With SEED still being my all time favorite.

Uhm, Theforeshadower. The gundam series have multiple timelines. There are no real timelines between the various universes. The gundam series are like the Zelda games. Some series are sequels to other series but since Mobile Fighter G Gundam (and to a lesser extend Mobile Suit Victory Gundam) each series started a new timeline. These are the timelines and order of the series:

Universal Century
Mobile Suit Gundam (aka Gundam 0079)   ->   Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam   ->   Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (Double Zeta)   ->   Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack   ->   Mobile Suit Gundam F91   ->   Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

Then there are some movies and miniseries that happen during and between Mobile Suit Gundam and Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. But these are better watched at the end in order not to spoil suprises.
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (also 0083: Last blitz of Zeon)
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team ( also Miller's Report)
- Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO:
       - The Hidden One Year War
       - Apocalypse 0079
       - 2: The Gravity Front
- Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (new and still airing)

Future Century
A complete new and alternate universe that no longer has any ties to Universal Century timeline. It has only one series:
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam

After Colony
Another new timeline, with one series and one movie/miniseries:
New Mobile Report Gundam W(ing)   ->   New Mobile Report Gundam W(ing): Endless Waltz

After War
This timeline also only has one series: After War Gundam X

Correct Century
Only one series in this timeline: Turn A Gundam (or ∀ Gundam)

Cosmic Era
The only timeline since Universal Century that has more than one full length series. Two series and one miniseries:
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED   ->   Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny   ->   Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer

Anno Domini
The first timeline that is nonfictional. The series is: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Double Oh)

This series in this timeline often refers to actual problem area's with war situations, like the Middle East and Northern Ireland. The series is also set in 2307 AD. There is also some discussion about whether it is one series or two series, because the second season began broadcasting about 6 months after the first season had ended. Also there is a 4 year gap in the story between the first and second season.

There are a lot of additional novels and short movies, as well as the series Mobile Suit Gundam Evolve and SD Gundam that give some extra story elements. Oh, yeah. The Americans also made a movie based on the Universal Century Gundams, which is also set to be at the end of the Universal Century. This movie is called G-Saviour.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:16:47 pm by Niek »

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 03:37:59 pm »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
Wow :o Thanks guys! You're really helping out! XD
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 09:28:08 pm »
My top 5 favorite Gundams:

1) ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam [+ METEOR (Mobile suit Embedded Tactical EnfORcer)]  (From Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny)
http://static2.animepaper.net/upload/thumbs/wallpapers/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-SEED/%5Blarge%5D%5BAnimePaper%5Dwallpapers_Mobile-Suit-Gundam-SEED_Meth-anE_15211.jpg

2) RX-78GP03 Gundam "Dendrobium Orchis" (From Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory)
http://miotd.com/images/20070811.jpg

3) RX-78 NT-1 Alex (From Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/3043190196_ca97c87873.jpg
http://tsuzukusekai.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/alex.jpg

4) MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam (From Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam)
http://www.mahq.net/Mecha/gundam/z/msz-006.jpg

5) XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero [Custom] and XXXG-01D2 Gundam Deathscythe Hell [Custom] (From New Mobile Report Gundam W: Endless Waltz)
http://www.staats.us/sonle/ew_wing_zero_custom.jpg
http://images.elfwood.com/fanq/c/l/clinton2/deathscythe_hell_custom_small.jpg

Couldn't really choose between Wing Zero Custom and Deathscythe Hell Custom

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 11:20:53 pm »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
Neik your no. 1 looks awesome! :) I really want to pick up a gundam kit or two for this summer. Got nothin' else to do.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:26:02 pm by Malonfan2012 »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 11:25:08 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I used to have the model kits for Zero Custom and Deathscythe Hell. Good stuff :P

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 11:27:24 pm »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
I always wonder why the governing colonies in Gundam always go for the most "out-there" designs.

Also, I just whipped up this youtube intro for the reviews I'm doing soon. It's not great, but I think you'll appreciate the music.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreJS2mhmpg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreJS2mhmpg</a>
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 05:53:44 am »
I have these kits already:
http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN917987
http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN920463
http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN925301

And then I have all the Gundams in 1/144 model version of the series:
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
- Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
- New Mobile Report Gundam W(ing) (Also a few in 1/100 version)
- New Mobile Report Gundam W(ing): Endless Waltz
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED

All the models still required some painting, which I am not good at unfortunately.

I always wonder why the governing colonies in Gundam always go for the most "out-there" designs.
I think only in G Gundam the designs are the most "out-there". In all the other series the designs are really straight forward and cool.

Also, I just whipped up this youtube intro for the reviews I'm doing soon. It's not great, but I think you'll appreciate the music.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreJS2mhmpg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreJS2mhmpg</a>
Gundam Wing music.  :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:57:44 am by Niek »

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 02:46:11 pm »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
All the models still required some painting, which I am not good at unfortunately.

I understand that. Also Gundam paint, markers, and glue can be quite expensive. :P

Gundam Wing music.  :P

Nope. Neon Genesis Evangelion music. Gundam Wing doesn't have music with such badassery.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 77 queries.