Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm !@#$% done with Rareware.  (Read 5853 times)

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
I'm !@#$% done with Rareware.
« on: June 19, 2010, 05:49:25 am »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"

Well Rareware's finally done it. There were few things that I was relying on to keep me happy. Their classic logo, their clean website, and hope for the TRUE Banjo-Threeie. But recently, Rare changed their classic logo into something I clould have made in Illustrator in under 60 seconds and changed their site into some cookie-cutter microsoft !@#$%. You may think I'm overreacting, but there's !@#$% 360 avatars EVEYWHERE. And to make matters worse, their "revolutionary new Kinect title" is a blatant rip-off of Wii sports using the Microsoft EyeToy.

It goes to show that there are some game companies that almost try to further isolate themselvers from their fans. Rare was important to me because the first 3D game my virgin, 8-Bit eyes ever saw was Banjo Kazooie. From then I was hooked. Staying over at my friends houses to play Banjo and Donkey Kong 64, oh, it was like a dream.

You see, we had just moved in to a new house and I didn't have many friends, so I played my Dad's NES. I made friends with the likes of Mario, Link, Samus, Pit, and Mega Man. Those games filled me with happiness, they gave me something to look forward to when I got home. We were pretty poor at the time, too, so new games were a bust. Things were even worse when my Dad left his job at Acro. Imagine Tuna Fish sandwiches every day. Blech!

But then on Christmas of 2000, I recieved my first 3D console, the Nintendo 64 along with Banjo-Tooie. My Dad was employed at Xerox and made pretty steady pay, and we were happy. I have such fond memories of sitting at night in the glow of the TV, the sound of crickets from outside. There was nothing like it. Banjo and Kazooie became permanently embedded in my mind.

But alas, all good things must come to an end, ya? Rare had announced production for Banjo-Threeie for gamecube and me and my friends were so excited. But then, news of a buy-out by microsoft flooded the internet, and made me pretty upset at the time.

So, yeah. I'm !@#$% done. :'(
I'm sorry I wrote so much, I just hope you understand my feelings on the situation. Feel free to share your thoughts below. :)
Re: I'm !@#$% done with Rareware.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:55:05 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Sorry, I think you mean Microsoft.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 06:00:56 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I agree with porkie here...

You're confusing Rare with a private, self-owned company, and not a subsidiary of another much larger company.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 06:13:58 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Yeah, Microsoft did all that stupidity, not Rare. You are mistaken on this.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 06:20:07 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Who still has any interest in Rareware?  They stopped being relevant after the N64.

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 06:20:32 am »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"

While I agree, it's not just microsoft. It seems that the creative integrity at Rare is increasivly lacking these days. So far, their last few games were just enhanced versions of the originals or butchered ports *cough*banjo-kazooie*cough*. And then they announce a Wii sports clone? It seems that the minds behind Rare might as well not be there as well. :-\

Oh, and by the way, welcome back Mirby :)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 06:22:58 am »
  • Super Hero Time!

While I agree, it's not just microsoft. It seems that the creative integrity at Rare is increasivly lacking these days. So far, their last few games were just enhanced versions of the originals or butchered ports *cough*banjo-kazooie*cough*. And then they announce a Wii sports clone? It seems that the minds behind Rare might as well not be there as well. :-\

Again, you mean Microsoft. Microsoft controls what Rare makes, not Rare.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 06:24:09 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Also I think you're confusing Rare's departure from Nintendo with a corporate buyout. Microsoft, Activision and Rare had been talking about this for years before they left.

Nintendo sold their stocks. It wasn't Microsoft's fault they did this. It was a mutual decision between Nintendo and Rare.

Also, a lot of the issues you describe are probably due in part to Rare's founders leaving for other ventures.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 06:25:16 am »
Yeah, the Rare of the past is just that; of the past. It may be called Rareware, but it's not the same great company of old.

• Mirby Studios

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 06:26:06 am »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"

The least they could do is be creative and work with what they have. All they've done with this camerathingimafuckit is use those stupid avatars. I'm not someone who needs fancy graphics, but a strong visual style to support the game.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 06:39:47 am »
Maybe Microsoft gave them no space for that. Maybe Microsoft said YOU DO IT THIS WAY OR NOT AT ALL! Or something...

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 06:40:19 am »
  • Super Hero Time!

The least they could do is be creative and work with what they have. All they've done with this camerathingimafuckit is use those stupid avatars. I'm not someone who needs fancy graphics, but a strong visual style to support the game.

Welcome to the current generation of gaming.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 06:42:25 am »
Welcome to the current generation of gaming.
A sadder yet truer statement has never been spoken.

• Mirby Studios

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 06:43:56 am »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us like Nintendo did. Give us five years of "casual gaming" and just when you give up on em' they come back at E3 full fuckin' force. XD
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 07:16:47 am »
Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us like Nintendo did. Give us five years of "casual gaming" and just when you give up on em' they come back at E3 full fuckin' force. XD
A subsidiary from Microsoft. First they don't have a platform (I don't mean the computer but the media) to come back with a bang. They can't hold a complete pressconference. Second they mostly have to work with the assignments they receive from Microsoft. Even when they think up there own games, they still need it approved by Microsoft. And Microsoft won't approve anything, without having their own stamp on it and making it fit in the Xbox360 line up.

It is a fools hope.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 07:36:10 am »
It's like hoping for a PS3 remake of FF7. It's not gonna happen, so it'll save you a lot of grief if you release that hope, that misguided belief, now instead of down the road.

• Mirby Studios

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 08:14:34 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Rare wouldn't have made Banjo blow up that mario thing in the banjo kazooie N&B movie deal...
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 08:28:53 am »
No they would not have.

Also, didn't I see you recently? :P

• Mirby Studios

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 10:00:18 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
huh?
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 03:01:16 pm »
  • The Mike
Rare was better on SNES and N64, that's all there is to it. Pretty much their last great efforts last decade were Banjo-Tooie, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day and perhaps Starfox Adventures for people who enjoyed it. Since Microsoft bought Rare, the only games I had a liking for were Conker L&R, Viva Pinata TiP and Banjo-Kazooie N&B. If they actually manage to create a game after a couple Kinect games, then I'll show some respect to them again. For now, I can only show respect to the N64 Rare games I own.

This is what Rare had to say to keep long-time fans happy on their site:

For the long-term fans, rest assured we're not turning our back on the entire glorious sprawl of Rare history - especially with 2010 being the year of our 25th anniversary. For now, though, we're taking the opportunity to capitalise on our work with Avatars and the once-in-a-lifetime opportunities offered by Microsoft's latest system, and we have our hands pretty full with making Kinect Sports as good as we can possibly get it. We'll keep you apprised of its progress in the months ahead.

What's wrong with the BK games and PD on XBLA? All of those games in general are good.

• Zelda Eternity
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 77 queries.