Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REVIEW] THE HUNGER GAMES MOVIE (SPOILERS)  (Read 1141 times)

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
[REVIEW] THE HUNGER GAMES MOVIE (SPOILERS)
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:17:39 am »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
So I don't review things very often but this is something that I feel that I need to do. I went and saw this movie earlier this week after finishing the first book only a week prior, and I was ultimately dissappointed.

For starters, the movie strays from the book all the time, especially when it's unnecessary and unwanted. For example:
Show content
-Instead of the mayor's daughter Madge giving Katniss the Mockingjay pin, she is given it for free by a shopkeeper in the Hob.
-Katniss's father's death is only referred to once or twice in a very non-emotional matter.
-The three stylists aren't included in the film.
-The Gamekeeper, Seneca Crane, is forced to eat the deadly berries and kill himself, whereas this doesn't happen until the second novel, where he is executed.

Now I could go on and on, but I won't because I know that you don't care. Now, another part of the movie that really gets under my skin is how during the games, they keep cutting to the GamesKeeper. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if they only did this once, but it happens guite a few times and is annoying and unneeded especially since the film is long enough as it is. The acting from some of the characters is stiff and unmotivated and the overall pacing of the film is shaky.

CONCLUSION: It's disappointing to see what was a promising book-to-film series, falls short of it's target in comparison to the Harry Potter and Lord of The Rings books. Overall I'd give it 6.5/10. Defenitely worth a rent on Blu-Ray or something, but I wouldn't recommend seeing it in theaters.
Re: [REVIEW] THE HUNGER GAMES MOVIE (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:33:16 am »
I generally agree with everything you said. It was a decent movie, but for those who read the book it was pretty lame. Acting was actually horrible in some parts. When Katniss and Peeta start being all in love halfway through it was the cheesiest acting I've ever seen.

An io9 article sums up even more stuff they left out that bugged me. Not my words, but it says everything I was thinking watching the movie.

Lamb Stew (Actual Hunger)

Food is a very big deal in Suzanne Collins' books. In fact there are websites, and books dedicated to the dishes cooked up on Panem. One could even argue that the whole plot of the book is based around food — not having it, versus having it. The winning tribute returns to a world of money (so they can buy food) and their district gets to live a whole year with additional rations from The Capitol. Almost every other thought inside Katniss' head is about food, finding food, protecting the food, feeding her family, feeding herself in the games, will she have enough food? How will her future actions affect the people of District 12's food supply? Food is everything. Heck, "Hunger" is in the title! So it was surprising that not a single food item was namechecked in the movie. There was no reaping fish soup, no goat cheese bread Prim saves for her sister, no the Mellark cookies, no crescent bread delivered from District 11 which was supposedly meant for little Rue (a completely gutting moment), and of course, no lamb stew!

The hunger is missing from Hunger Games, even when Katniss had her flashback in the rain with Peeta. She merely looked sad, not a wreck of malnutrition desperately trying to keep her sister from starving. This is why it's SO important when Katniss makes Gale promise her family won't starve when she's gone (and if she dies) because there is no food.

Show content
The Avox Girl/Capture

Early while Katniss and Gale illegally hunt for food they witness a red headed girl and a young man (presumably running away from The Capitol) get sucked up by a giant hover craft. The young man is actually harpooned right through the chest and the girl is captured alive. She shows up later as an "Avox" — a tongueless servant for the Capitol, punished forever for her crime. While there most certainly are Avox-like servants waiting on Peeta and Katniss in their skyscraper apartment, we never really know what horrors these people faced for their "crimes." In the film Katniss does remark that if she and Gale were to run away the Capitol could catch them and cut out their tongues, but it's all talk. The silent red head (while not integral to the story) certainly made it known that life inside the city was pretty horrendous for those who are opposed to President Snow.

Show content
Hovercraft Body Collectors: Katniss Loses Her Mind

The hovercrafts were also a big part of the Games that were never really utilized in the movie. After a Tribute has died, a hovercraft would appear and snatch the body up (taking along whatever was attached to it). This is fairly important in the second book as the resistance uses their hovercrafts against The Capitol. But also, in the final moment of the Games when Katniss and Peeta consider eating the poisonous nightlock berries it's heightened, because Peeta is slowly bleeding to death from his legs. They NEED the hovercraft to come, and fast. They have to make the decision quickly. When they do trick the gamekeepers into releasing them both, the hovercraft separates Peeta and Katniss and our braided hero loses her damn mind. It's the first time you see Katniss go absolutely insane for Peeta. She doesn't know if he survived, if he bled to death, what the Capitol is doing to him — she just goes bonkers, and it's really the only way you should end a death battle, with crazy rage and fear.

and

Show content
People Say We're In Love

The epic betrayal of Peeta's heart. In the film we see Haymitch warning Katniss that if she wants to live another day after the games she has to pretend to love Peeta forever. In the book Katniss' big "my love for you is make believe" reveal is devastating to Peeta, because he was actually in love with her. Plus, Katniss has been seemingly fanning this unrequited love by resting her head on his shoulder and flirting with him during the final interviews. On the screen we see Katniss hold Peeta's hand and say a few nice things to him, but the actual exploitation is gone from the movie (possibly to detract the audiene from hating Katniss for being so cruel). Couple that with the fact that Peeta never said the iconic line, "She has no idea, the effect she can have," in the film — and you have a pretty strongly one-sided love triangle.

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 02:38:20 am »
  • The Mad Programmer.
Hah, saw the movie on release but I never read the book. My friend told me what happened though and told me what he thought:
-Peeta's leg is not amputated and "magically" heals, which is not true to the book.
-Gale's relationship with Katniss is not emphasized enough which ruins Katniss' view on a relationship with Peeta.
-How Katniss shoot the ending boss (forgot his name lol), it made no sense how it did not go through his hand onto Peeta, also untrue how he died in the book.

There are more but I forgot them, but I generally agree with you on the review. I always feel as if the directors mess up on purpose sometimes so sequels are not possible/harder to make.
I support:
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:14:23 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
Oh man, I've been waiting for an opportunity to unload about this but none of my friends want to hear 'cause they're too busy talking about how awesome it was.

Okay, first of all, the book is entirely unsuited for a movie adaptation.  The way it's written doesn't lend itself to the medium and I foresaw all the narrative problems before I ever saw the movie.  It's a shameful cash-in in my opinion.

Anyways...

I liked the movie up to the point they're put on the train.  The beginning was actually fairly well done and the changes didn't bother me because they were necessary.  After that, the pacing sways back and forth like a madman.  It flies by moments that should have been given a closer look, and then stays too long on rather trivial matters.

The characters aren't given any time to really show who they are so they just become bland cardboard cut-outs.  Peeta in particular suffers as he's the most well-rounded character in the book besides Katniss, and yet he's literally just the token love interest in the movie.  Katniss gets NO characterization at all in the movie.  Granted, she's not exactly the most interesting person in the book either, but since it's written from her perspective you get a lot of insight into the way she thinks (which is unique, and the best thing about the books).  That insight is lost in film, and rightfully so since the only way it could have been done was via voice-over, but they didn't bother to replace it with more traditional character development.

They treat the audience like idiots at times which is really annoying.  In particular, they flat out tell you that the pile of supplies is trapped instead of letting you figure it out (which is in no way a hard conclusion to come to the way it's shot).  The books don't baby their readers in such a way, why should the movie (or any movie for that matter but that's an issue of debate for some)?

I wanted to go into a point for point analysis of things that were just plain handled wrong, but now that I've started writing I can't think straight.  Nevertheless, I feel if a movie version had to be made, then they went about it from the wrong angle.  The movie is pretty accurate in terms of literal events that happen, but what they get so wrong is the tone and message.

As for the book itself...  I liked it.  It's no original work and not terribly meaningful, but compared to all the other fiction aimed at a teenaged audience, it's a masterpiece.  If it gets younger readers interested in deeper works like 1984 or Brave New World then I'm all for it.  I don't think Running Man or Battle Royale ever sparked those interests.

Edit:  Almost forgot.  Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress.  She does what she can with the role, though it's not much, but you really ought to see her other works, in particular Winter's Bone.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:16:23 am by Mitsu »

Arcaith

Landscape Police
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 07:42:35 am »
  • *ding*
I really think that the movie could have been so much better. The actors were quite well cast, but a lot of the direction and the screenplay is just so poor it lets the whole thing down. The crux of the problem is, as has been said by Mitsu, the pacing is terrible. Scenes that needed more attention were overshadowed by ones that just didn't need that much screen time. The whole thing could have been done a lot better. I think that the cuts away from the Games themselves were entirely unnecessary, especially if they plan to adapt the other two books in the series.

Most of the other points I could make have already been mentioned, though I will say that I did expect Haymitch to look a fair bit older.
*MooN*
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 04:09:11 pm »
Yeah, like Mitsu said. It was a hard movie to do since so much of the book took place in Katniss' mind. The tracker jacker scene was awesome and trippy if you didn't read the books. If you did it looked like a cheap scene they had to throw in to try and cover a bit more backstory without any dialogue. It worked in a way, but seemed lame.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 46 queries.

anything