Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hidden Gems  (Read 1084 times)

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
Hidden Gems
« on: August 11, 2012, 06:56:41 pm »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
Basically It's just a topic where people talk about any games they have or enjoy that are criminally underrated and are pretty snazzy. I'll start with some of my games just to give you an idea of what I mean.

ASTAL
Platform: Sega Saturn

Description: Astal is a 2d platformer developed by Sega for the Sega Saturn in 1995. One of the things that is so great about this game is how much it feels like a japanese Rayman game. The 2D sprites give the game a great, compelling style, and the gameplay is excellent.

What Makes This Game A Hidden Gem?: The first reason, and most obvious, reason that this is a hidden gem is that it was released on the sadly unpopular Saturn. Another peculiar reason is that the games name doesn't appear on the side label of the game. This would make it so that customers would not know what game it was unless they got curious.

SEIKEN DENSETSU (FINAL FANTASY ADVENTURE)
Platform: Game Boy

Description: Seiken Densetsu is a 2D top-down adventure game developed by Square for the Game Boy in 1998. On the surface, the game appears to play like Zelda. Once you really sink your teeth into it though, it becomes a very deep and fun experience. You can cast magic that locks onto targets in this game and can replace your sword with many unique weapons such as the Sickles or the Axe, which each have their own special abilities.

What Makes This Game A Hidden Gem?: This isn't completely a hidden gem, per se, but most people are unknowledgeable when it comes to the game. First of all, it isn't actually a Final Fantasy game at all. It's actually the first game in the Mana series, but was given the Final Fantasy moniker in the West to entice gamers into buying it. The game is one of the best I've ever played on the GBC and even got a remake in 2003 for the Game Boy Advance titled Sword of Mana.
Re: Hidden Gems
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 09:19:54 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
NOVA STORM
Platform: PC (Dos)

Description: Nova Storm can be described as a flying arcade-style rail shooter. It's basically an intense 3D shmup.

What Makes This Game A Hidden Gem: The great thing about this is that it is so well made that it creates an atmosphere unlike any other game I know of. In the cutscenes, it's got a real great Star Trek kind of feel that comes from the great use of audio, voice acting, and graphics. The soundtrack is totally epic, and it really drives the shmup action, and at times there are accompanying windy flight whoosh noises that really make it feel believable, or at least believable for how old it is. Despite it being a rail shooter, there are quite a few parts that require you to dodge oncoming asteroids or to avoid crystals popping out of the ground; it can get really intense, and the soundtrack and sound effects are really what make this game stand out. I believe this game was released in 1996, but it's still hella fun, and the graphics - or should I say the use of the graphics - were absolutely incredible for that year. I should note that, if you can find the game, you will need DosBox to run it. Unless you have an ancient OS/PC. ;P
  • My Music

Lunar

Former King
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:40:17 am »
  • Video Games
I guess I'll copy the format of the first two posts.

MISCHIEF MAKERS
Platform: N64

Description: A platformer where your only attack is to shake and throw things. You're a cute female cyborg and have to repeatedly rescue your absent-minded creator, Professor Theo.

What Makes This Game A Hidden Gem: Has all the staples of a cult classic video game. Quirky humor, writing, graphics and gameplay. The cover art alone is bizarre and definitely stands out on a shelf. I think this game sold pretty well as the cartridge seems common, yet it's never really attained a great level of acclaim from the mainstream press / audience.
sup
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 10:01:03 am »
  • 笑い男
Ghost Trick
Platform: DS

Description: From the person/people that made Phoenix Wright, a puzzle solving game where you, the main character start off dead, which has a pretty damn awesome story, music, characters and very slick character animation too.

What Makes This Game A Hidden Gem?: First, hidden because even while Phoenix Wright got hugely popular with its meme's, how many of you actually played it/them? How on earth could being a lawyer in a game be fun? No idea, but it ends up epic as hell! It's a game that drags you in and doesn't let go. Now, ghost trick is even more unknown, unfortunately.
So, what makes it a gem? I was doubting such a game so rather different in style could once again become as great as phoneix wright was, let alone top it. Yeah, the gameplay system is a neat idea and all, but I couldn't see it blowing me away. Of course, it did. When I let a friend play it, after beating it she bought it for herself and then played through it many more times, which isn't something every game does to you. The music, the characters, the story. Everything is exactly what you should expect coming from the makers of phoenix wright, even possibly a lot better depending on person.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 42 queries.

anything