Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Game Boy Adapters for DS?  (Read 786 times)

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
Game Boy Adapters for DS?
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:14:19 pm »
  • :3
Is there anything I can get that allows me to play GB/CBC games on my DS? Just curious.
Gannon-banned brother.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
Re: Game Boy Adapters for DS?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:18:52 pm »
  • The Mike
I'm not sure if there is a way to play those games on DS. I wish you could play them on DS, then I'd be really happy.

• Zelda Eternity

mit

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 05:21:05 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
Yes, most homebrew DS equipment can run emulators for them, and for NES games and some Snes games.

I personally got a GBA adapter so I could play them on my micro too. The one I got was the M3 Perfect Mini SD from RealHotStuff. Put goomba color on it, and it's all hunky dory. Plus you can have save states and everything an emulator can normally do.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 05:26:31 pm »
  • :D
There are emulators for flash carts, but that's it.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 05:33:07 pm »
  • :3
Why exactly does the DS not support pre-GBA games? Do they just not fit in the slot? In that case, I'm surprised someone hasn't made an adaptor for them yet.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 05:40:59 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
They fit in the slot... but they don't latch in, so they fall out. >.> And the DS won't read them, even if you hold it in.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 05:41:33 pm »
Why exactly does the DS not support pre-GBA games? Do they just not fit in the slot? In that case, I'm surprised someone hasn't made an adaptor for them yet.
Probably because of large scale hardware differences, they probably didn't see much point of adding backwards-compatiblity for GC/GB games as the market for them is pretty much dead.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 05:53:13 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
And it'd require another processor, an arguably unneeded expense.

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 06:35:49 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
There is a way. Buy an R4, and google Lameboy.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 03:22:08 am »
  • w00t
And it'd require another processor, an arguably unneeded expense.
This is the real reason.  The GB and GBC used a z80 processor, while the GBA used an ARM7 processor.  The GBA and GBA SP actually contained both processors in there, and the shape of the cartridge flipped a switch to tell the GBA which mode to boot in.  When the DS was designed (and the Game Boy Micro for that matter), they had to cut corners to get everything to fit, so the z80 was removed. 

Also, keep in mind the DS was supposed to be a "third pillar" on its own aside from the Gameboy line.  The addition of GBA support was likely added to give people an incentive to buy the strange new device without making the upcoming Gameboy system (whatever it would be) entirely redundant. 

If you wish to play classic GB/GBC games on your DS, you'll need to buy some homebrew equipment.  If you get a slot-2 device combined with a slot-1 passthrough, you can use Goomba Color, Lameboy, or DSBoy, while if you choose a standalone slot-1 device, you can only use Lameboy and DSboy.  Honestly DSBoy isn't really worth using at the moment, though in the future it may get better.  Right now the main contenders are Lameboy and Goomba Color.  Both of them have different levels of compatibility and speed for various games, so it might be best to get a slot-2 device simply so you can have the greatest compatibility.  This also gives you the advantage of being able to use Goomba Color on regular GBA systems as well.  If you get a slot-2 device, make sure you get one with GBA compatibility or you'll be limited to Lameboy and DSboy only.

Dwedit was working on porting Goomba Color to the DS, but he couldn't get it to compile correctly so I think he gave up eventually.
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 54 queries.