Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which browser to choose?  (Read 1320 times)

Which browser to choose?
« on: September 23, 2007, 02:40:13 pm »
Meh, I've been using Opera for the last 5 months, and before that, I used Firefox.
I switched from Firefox since I was experiencing some problems, I don't really remember well, but I disliked pretty much FireFox 2, compared to older versions. Then, at some moment, every download I tried didn't work.
Now, with Opera, I feel that it spends lots of memory, and considering I have a already slow PC, it gets worse. In example, now, I just have two tabs opened and it's consuming ~95.000K.
So, I would like to hear your opinions, if I should stay with Opera, move to FireFox, buy more RAM memories (nope, no money), or recommend any other browser.
Re: Which browser to choose?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 02:46:09 pm »
Meh, I've been using Opera for the last 5 months, and before that, I used Firefox.
I switched from Firefox since I was experiencing some problems, I don't really remember well, but I disliked pretty much FireFox 2, compared to older versions. Then, at some moment, every download I tried didn't work.
Now, with Opera, I feel that it spends lots of memory, and considering I have a already slow PC, it gets worse. In example, now, I just have two tabs opened and it's consuming ~95.000K.
So, I would like to hear your opinions, if I should stay with Opera, move to FireFox, buy more RAM memories (nope, no money), or recommend any other browser.

I'd say go back to FireFox, When I started using it I noticed bugs and what not. But now, it all seems fine and haven't had a problem with it in ages.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 02:46:29 pm »
Hmm ... I usually recommend Firefox, and that's what I use, but if you really don't want to ... well, what operating system are you using? Safari on Mac is pretty neat :).
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 06:22:06 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Safari is available for Windows now too.

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Apple claims that its faster than Firefox, and its got resizable text fields. I use Firefox personally.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 06:27:16 pm »
Safari is available for Windows now too.

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Apple claims that its faster than Firefox, and its got resizable text fields. I use Firefox personally.
Wow, cool. I never thought Safari was available on Windows. :O
I'm now going to perform some tests to see which one uses less memory... :3
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 06:33:24 pm »
I read an article that Safari was buggy and unsecure. I mean, it makes sense to have a backdoor open to a rivals operating system, mirite? Sabotage! Or maybe they're just stupid... well, don't use it anyway.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 06:41:40 pm »
I'd like to suggest you to use Firefox. Why exactly? I will tell you why!

1. Security
The more secure browser to browse web pages you want than IE. you will be protected from most security threats of the world wide web. Firefox included Phishing Protection to protect your financial details fished out anonymously.

2. Open Source
Firefox is an open source program and thousands of experienced programmers and security experts are contributing to Firefox to beat all security threats.

3. Protection from Spy Ware
Firefox will not allow to download any software automatically. Without your explicit agreement, Firefox will not allow any web pages to download and install software. So you are absolutely protected from Spy Ware

4. Automated Update
Firefox’s update system always checks to see if you are running the latest version, and notifies you when a security update is available in over 40 languages. These security updates are small (usually 200KB - 700KB), giving you only what you need and making the security update quick to download and install.

5. Clear Private Data
Firefox offers the ability to clear all your private Web browsing data with just one click with the Clear Private Data tool. You can be confident that when you clear your private data in Firefox it’s gone - whether you are using your own computer or one at the library.

6. Tabbed Browsing
You don't have to open many windows and flooded up your status bar with too many windows. Using Firefox you can open as many as Tabs in a single window.

7. Spell Checking
Don't you sure about spelling of a word while you type your email? Firefox has this feature enabled and it will highlight the wrong words and will tell you the correct spelling.

8. Search Suggestions
Firefox will suggest the search items, that you type on the integrated search box of Firefox. This works for Google, Yahoo and Answers.Com

9. Accessibility
Firefox helps to browse visually impaired too. Firefox includes support for DHTML accessibility. Web developers can create pages that reduce the amount of tabbing required to navigate a document to minimize keystrokes for those with mobility disabilities. Firefox also includes support for Microsoft Active Accessibility, Microsoft’s accessibility API standard for Windows. This support allows Firefox to work with screen readers such as GW Micro’s Window-Eyes and Freedom Scientific’s JAWS

10. Accessibility
The Firefox blocks unwanted pop-ups that irritates the user when visiting to a web site. You can customize the pop-up blocking options to allow your favorite webs tie to show pop-ups for you!

11. Session Restore
Losing your place while you’re doing things on the Web is a pain. Now, with Session Restore, if Firefox has to restart or closes when it comes back you will pick up exactly where you left off. The windows and tabs you were using, the text you typed into forms, and the in-progress downloads you had running will all be restored. You can even set Firefox 2 to always restore your previous session instead of loading a home page, so you will never lose your place again.

12. RSS Feeds
What do news headlines, indie rock podcasts, and pictures of kittens have in common? They are all things that you can subscribe to with Web feeds. Firefox 2 gives you full control over Web feeds, showing you a preview and letting you choose how you want to subscribe. You can use a Firefox Live Bookmark, or a feed reader that you have installed on your computer, or through a Web service such as My Yahoo!, Bloglines or Google Reader.

13. Live Titles
Keep an eye on that auction or the status of a delivery using the new Live Titles feature in Firefox 2. Compact enough to fit as a bookmark label, Live Titles are regularly updated summaries of the most important information on a Web page. As the information on the page gets updated, so does your Live Title.

14. Integrated Search
Firefox helps you find whatever it is that you are looking for. The Search bar comes pre-loaded with search engines for Google, Yahoo!, Amazon, eBay, Answers.com, and Creative Commons. Wherever you are on the Web, you can enter a search term in the Search bar and receive immediate answers from the search engine you have chosen. You can select a new search engine from the Search bar menu at any time, and add search engines from hundreds of your favorite Web sites.

15. Live Bookmarks
Firefox Live Bookmarks let you view Web feeds such as news and blog headlines in the bookmarks toolbar or menu. With one glance, quickly review the latest headlines from your favorite sites and click to go directly to the articles that interest you.

16. Look and Feel
In Firefox you can change the Look and Feel of your browser by using different themes.

17. Options
Less confusing and cluttered than IE’s Internet Options is another reason in Firefox. You can easily navigate through each setting. Deleting saved passwords is a snap and clearing any saved history.

18. Add-ons
Firefox allows you to choose add-ons over one thousand add-ons at Firefox web site. Try using them, its quiet fantastic. An Add-On manager will help you to arrange all the add-ons

19. Search Engine Manager
You can now quickly add, remove and re-order your search engines in the Search bar. Firefox 2 will also detect when a Web site has a search engine that can be installed, and will install it for you with a single click in the drop-down

Because I say so.
  • Virtual Security
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 06:42:13 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Or perhaps, BlueMonkey, its because its a beta version of their very secure Mac browser, and they don't have as much experience programming for their rival's OS.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 06:53:31 pm »
Anyways, I'm back to Firefox, I hope they keep me more satisfied this time...
It uses less memory than Safari and Opera, also, Safari is very-very ugly, and uses almost the same memory as Opera... -.-
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 06:56:24 pm »
Firefox 2 isn't too bad, we unfortunately have 3 right around the corner (I hate changing versions and trying to figure out what is where and how it got there).

Could always do IE 7. ^.^ :P
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 08:25:04 pm »
Firefox 2 isn't too bad, we unfortunately have 3 right around the corner (I hate changing versions and trying to figure out what is where and how it got there).

Could always do IE 7. ^.^ :P
I don't know, I always loved change.

Firefox is definitely my favorite, and I've used a lot. (at least 10 browsers)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 58 queries.