Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Homosexuality  (Read 14079 times)

Limey

Re: Homosexuality
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2006, 10:09:55 pm »
I think its funny that his 'main point' is stating that its how the 'bible said it really was'... Which is complete BS, because not everybody believes in the bible >_>

2awesome4apossum

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 10:11:26 pm »
I think its funny that his 'main point' is stating that its how the 'bible said it really was'... Which is complete BS, because not everybody believes in the bible >_>
Well... I fail to see the sense in that... because not everyone DISbelieves in the bible...

Pyru

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 10:12:35 pm »
Well... I fail to see the sense in that... because not everyone DISbelieves in the bible...

I think he meant how very few people believe in the bible as a literal account of events.

Limey

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 10:13:13 pm »
Because in a modern world, to present proof for things, the bible is not a credible source.

Pyru

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2006, 10:17:47 pm »
Because in a modern world, to present proof for things, the bible is not a credible source.

True, but much of law is still based on it.

Limey

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2006, 10:18:58 pm »
Yes, but that doesnt make it a credible source :/

redding

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2006, 12:47:07 pm »
Actually the Bible is a credible source. But at the moment, I will only give you as much evidence as you gave me when saying that it was not credible, in other words none.

At the moment its my word against yours. Now its time to back up our word.
Yes, but that doesnt make it a credible source :/

Pyru

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2006, 02:00:25 pm »
Redding, explain how the bible is a credible source?

The most recent entry in the bible is almost 2000 years ago. Most of it was not written down until centuries after the events that it depicts happened. Much of it is, by any reasonable view, embellished in the least, if not entirely fictional.
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2006, 10:13:24 pm »
  • Huzzowee!
I'm sure a lot of the earlier stories are fictional, but a lot are actual events that were just highly exaggerated with God and morals sutck in.

In a debate, the Bible is not a credible source since not everyone believes what it says. Unless the debate is on the bible itself, like "Debate the relevance of this passage" or something, where the only real credible source might actually be the bible. Otherwise, the Bible can serve only as a basis for one's beliefs, but not an actual grounds for prooving them. If people disagree with this and try to use the Bible as undeniable proof, I will have to resort to changing my religion to Monkolism, based around the Purple Flying Monkalopomus, holder of the Greem (it's a colour, but not green) Emblem of the Tonsil. I will write a religious text, inserting passages wherever I need, cite them, and they will be proof that I am right. Proof just as valid as that which the Bible would demonstrate.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539

Pyru

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2006, 10:18:41 pm »
Exactly. All religions should have exactly the same relevance in a debate.

My religion is a very liberal view of buddhism. It says any kinda sexuality is cool, so long as it's consenting and doesn't harm anyone.

So, unless you're gonna flame my religion, don't use your religion in the debate, pretty much.

Find another argument, s'il vous pl??it.
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2006, 12:56:31 am »
  • Tails with an E, The one and only
I can care less who screws who, its pissing me off that we have to hear about gay people on tv all the time. Do what you got to do but stop spreading it and wanting attention!
Tailes, yes Tails with an E! The creater of ChicoComics, ChicoFighter, MapleComics, AnimalCrossing-TheGoodLife, SonicComics, PaperMarioTheComic, MarioVsSonic and LegendOfZeldaTheUntoldLegend
My forums: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CoolAndAwesome/

Myspace: www.myspace.com/Tailes Send me a message saying who you are, I deny most friend requests that dont.
  • www.myspace.com/Tailes

redding

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2006, 01:30:28 am »
These are all fine opinions, however not one of them have been backed up, sure you can say the Biblical books were written centuries after the events happened, but guess what, thats a highly misinformed statement. While the gospel of Judas was written 300 years after Christ, it is not considered a reliable source. However the Gospels of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John, were all written within 40-100 years after Christ.

Now that may seem like a long time, but in historical standards, 40-60 years after an event occured is a small time period. Think of it this way, someone writes a book on world war 2, WW2 happened 60 years ago, yet there are still survivors from WW2, so if someone wrote a book on the war saying that the germans really won the war, that the holocaust never happened, do you think that book would be taken as a reliable source? I think not, as all the survivors of the war would object, because they know that is not the truth, the would not want something written down and taken as truthful if it were not.

Similarly with the Bible. There were still thousands of eye witnesses of Jesus Christ, after he had risen from the dead. So if someone were to write a book on the events and teachings of Jesus' life, and these events were all fiction, highly exagarated and false. Then those eye witnesses would have spoken out, and not taken those books seriuosly.

Yet the early church wanted an accurate account of Jesus' life, because just like how we dont wanna believe lies and a made up fairy tale, neither did those people, remember they were human beings. Thus people like you and me who wanted an accurate account of Jesus' life, went around asking the thousands of eye witnesses of Jesus' life, what exactly happened. Those people got all those storys, found out that alot of them were the same (ie more than one person had the same recolection of the same event) and then proceded to write them down into a book.

These 4 gospels we have, have the same story in them, not one of them contradicts the other, yet they were all written by different people, who had no knowledge of each others work. Which shows that these events were not twisted by their authors.

Now the church, hungry for the truth, wanted to know Jesus' teaching, so they ordered heaps of copies, so that each church could have their own. Now being reasonable human beings, wanting to know the truth, they did not twist the word in the original manuscripts, rather made sure the copies were exactly the same.

This happened for centuries. So that although the earlies copies of the books of the new testament that we have are from 125 AD, those copies when they were made, if they had been edited in any way, would not have been used by anyone as the original copys would have still existed when those copies were made, and so the people would have rejected that later copies if they were edited in any way or form.

And then hundereds of more were made, so that the earliest copies we have, compared with later ones (ie ones made 100  or 300 years after the earliest copy we have) are exactly the same in every form.

And heres a quick table on the percentile of difference between manuscripts, keeping in mind that all these manuscripts were found in different areas, and are from different time periods.

Keep in mind that the other books on these tables are considered accurate, yet have alot less copies around of them, and have alot more lines in doubt.

Now ofcourse, for each english version of the Bible, the translators go back to the original greek and hebrew manuscripts, to ensure accuracy, and to ensure that nothing in the Bible has been twisted or is fake.

mozza

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2006, 02:04:52 am »
There is man and woman...... THere are 2 species, not more the reason there are 2 species is so they can relate and make love not for the species to ignore and just love there own type.... Seriously who'd (guy) wanna make love to another guy with a DICK would you

Dont mind me its 5:04 am and im soooo freakin tired
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2006, 02:10:10 am »
Now that may seem like a long time, but in historical standards, 40-60 years after an event occured is a small time period. Think of it this way, someone writes a book on world war 2, WW2 happened 60 years ago, yet there are still survivors from WW2, so if someone wrote a book on the war saying that the germans really won the war, that the holocaust never happened, do you think that book would be taken as a reliable source? I think not, as all the survivors of the war would object, because they know that is not the truth, the would not want something written down and taken as truthful if it were not.
Depends on if the book was published as truth or a fictional story. I would totally read the book either way.

ANYWAYZ

Last time I checked Jesus showed up to tell people to love each other regardless of how they act, so wtf does the bible have to do with Homosexuality?
  • Google Profile

Limey

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2006, 02:15:42 am »
There is man and woman...... THere are 2 species, not more the reason there are 2 species is so they can relate and make love not for the species to ignore and just love there own type.... Seriously who'd (guy) wanna make love to another guy with a DICK would you

Dont mind me its 5:04 am and im soooo freakin tired

First of all Men and Women are not different species, are you kidding me?  And just because YOU dont like penis doesnt mean that other guys dont like it.  Its not 'un-natural' just because YOU think its wierd.
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2006, 02:26:27 am »
  • Huzzowee!
The bible is not a history book. First off, you say that the gospels were written 40 some-odd years after Christ's death. Back then, most people didn't llive to be 40 years old, so anyone that might have seen Jesus alive would have been very young at the time.

Similarly with the Bible. There were still thousands of eye witnesses of Jesus Christ, after he had risen from the dead. So if someone were to write a book on the events and teachings of Jesus' life, and these events were all fiction, highly exagarated and false. Then those eye witnesses would have spoken out, and not taken those books seriuosly.
Not if they were all dead and/or illiterate they wouldn't have. Which they pretty much all were. Also, thousands of people report seeing UFO's all the time! QED UFO's must exist!

Now the church, hungry for the truth, wanted to know Jesus' teaching, so they ordered heaps of copies, so that each church could have their own. Now being reasonable human beings, wanting to know the truth, they did not twist the word in the original manuscripts, rather made sure the copies were exactly the same.
Prove it. You believe the Church seeks the truth, I believe they seek their truth. The church changed the writings drastically from their original manuscripts. I don't know why, possibly a power thing, but they did. The church is an organization, and no organization is free from corruption. I actually saw a documentary taday that spoke about the church and how they would do that, especially to the roles women played. Especially that of Mary Magdelen. The church removed a few of the books speaking of her, but Muhammed Ali found them.

Now ofcourse, for each english version of the Bible, the translators go back to the original greek and hebrew manuscripts, to ensure accuracy, and to ensure that nothing in the Bible has been twisted or is fake.
And who's to say those are the originals?

One thing you have to remember also, is that even if they were accurate accounts, people would do two things: they would write about what they saw, and they would exaggerate. The problem with the first is the limited scientific understanding that these people had. For example, new evidence has come to light that there was a massive cold front that swept across the area around the time Jesus would have walked on water. Living in an almost desert-like environment, how many of them do you think knew about or ever saw ice, let alone knew that it was frozen water. THey saw Jesus walk on it and thought "Wow! HE walks on water!" which is technically true. When whats-his-face tried and fell into the water, nearly drowning, it could easily have been a thin patch that he fell through. Someone who had seen all this and didn't know what ice was would easily interpet Jesus's act as a miracle.

Then there's the second point - exaggeration. This era was before books or plays were common and used for entertainment. People would amuse themselves by telling stories. Which do you think is more entertaining:
A) "I saw the Romans kill this rebellious Jewish guy for believing too much in his God."

or

B) "And the Son of God was crucified for our sins, shouting out with his final breath "Father! Forgive them, for they know not what they are doing!"

Obviously people would pay attention to the latter, no? Both of those alone can easily refute the literal validity of many of the passages.

Next, your argument for the bible encompases the New Testament. What about the Old Testament? Who was still around from THOSE events after they were written? Did Cain and Abel write stories about their parents' early lives? Practically all of the anti-gay passages I've seen were from there. What time frame were THOSE written in? Did people still have accurate accounts of what happened when they were written? Probably not

One finally thing I really have to say is that your charts are almost irrelevant. They compare the bible first to the Illiad. It seems to be so unreliable! May that be because it's meant to be a fictional tale? What does it have to do with the Bible? Answer: nothing. The same goes for the other chart. Maybe if you replaced Caesar, Plato and Aristotle with the Talmud, the Torah and the Koran we'd be in business. However this is not the case. Those charts make the assumption that the Bible is fact, when there is no conclusive proof that it is actuall completely so. Oh, and also the math is somewhat wrong. The timespan assumes that all the earliest copies were obtained of texts written at the end of the time period from which it would have been written. In reality, it should go fro mthe start since if our earliest copies of the New Testament are from 125 AD, who's to say they weren't from the originals written in 40 AD rather than 100 AD. This gives a new timespan of 25-90 years. First of all, not only is there ample time within since 40 AD to exaggerate the event unnoticed by anyone since they would all be dead or illiterate up until 100 AD, but then there's a possibility that someone had at least 90 years to change things. Most people TODAY don't live to be 90.

You have no proof besides a belief that the church has never changed, added or removed anything from any of the Biblical text to suit their needs. In fact, it would be almost foolish to believe that it wasn't the case. I'm not saying that what you believe is wrong, jsut that you have no proof of anything. I personally believe that Jesus lived. I think there's actual archeaological evidence of that. In my opinion though, he wasn't actually the Son of God. He was just a very religious, jewish man. After all, did he not say that we are all God's children? It wouldn't be odd for him to call God "Father" if he truly believed that. I also believe that he was a genius, able to observe his environment and make quick conclusions. This would allow him to understand the behaviour of people very well, and he would be able to formulate wise "teachings" based around these observations. There's no doubt his "teaachings" were quite profound and usually worth following, they just weren't exactly "holy". Thanks to his genius and his acute powers of observation, he could easily have become a great healer as well, figuring out what sorts of herbs and remedies could cure various illnesses. HE could have also, in the previous "walking on ice" example, have assessed the nature of ice and figured where it was safe to step. Today, if you step onto a frozen pond, you'll know "Ok, i can step here, but it's cracking here so I won't go there". Why couldn't Jesus have been able to figure that out?

So, unless you can come up with tangible proof that everything the Bible says is completely and totally true, especially that which it says about the "evils" of homosexuality, then maybe you cuold use it. Until then it is off-limits and a basis for anything but the reason of your beliefs. Facts cannot be drawn from it.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539

redding

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2006, 03:12:28 am »
Depends on if the book was published as truth or a fictional story. I would totally read the book either way.

ANYWAYZ

Last time I checked Jesus showed up to tell people to love each other regardless of how they act, so wtf does the bible have to do with Homosexuality?
Although you are right in saying Jesus said love everyone. Jesus also taught us not to be tolerant of sin. Homosexuality being a sin, one of many mind you, is something that a Christian shold not be tolerant of,  doesnt mean they shouldnt love the person, but they should not be tolerant of their sin, because that is misleading, and defeats the whole purpose of Christ coming to earth to pay for our debt of sin.

Let me assure that the Bible was not written as a fictious book, rather a collection of eye witness accounts.

Oh and for you information, people did live past 40 back that, and to add to that the other gospels were written hundereds of years after Jesus' death and resurection.

Oh and one more thing, all previous so-called messiahs before him do not have a religion following them 2000 years later, infact as soon as their leader was killed, the followers scatered.

Yet that did not happen with Christians, they were willing to be persecuted, and killed, all in the name of Christ. I mean for there to be more records of a jewish guy from a despised race (jews were despised back in that time by the romans and other races), than there are records on the great roman emperors of that time, clearly says that theres something more to this Jesus, than what the majority of people who have never read a Bible, and think they know more of what happened 2000 years ago, than the eye witnesses of the day.

By the way, the Da Vinci Code is fiction, none of it is truth, not even the parts that say "FACT", and as for Jesus being married, not even the gnositc gospels say that, they just say the mary gave Jesus a kiss on the cheek, which was a common greating for men and women to do back inthat day.

If you want to know the truth about the da vinci code, go here -- http://www.challengingdavinci.com/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 03:22:05 am by redding »
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2006, 03:15:50 am »

ANYWAYZ

Although you are right in saying Jesus said love everyone. Jesus also taught us not to be tolerant of sin. Homosexuality being a sin, one of many mind you, is something that a Christian shold not be tolerant of,  doesnt mean they shouldnt love the person, but they should not be tolerant of their sin, because that is misleading, and defeats the whole purpose of Christ coming to earth to pay for our debt of sin.
People have the right to sin if they want. If they know it's a sin, and they keep doing it, then you're really not going to be able to do much for them.
  • Google Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2006, 03:49:21 am »
  • Huzzowee!
Homosexuality being a sin, one of many mind you, is something that a Christian shold not be tolerant of,  doesnt mean they shouldnt love the person, but they should not be tolerant of their sin, because that is misleading, and defeats the whole purpose of Christ coming to earth to pay for our debt of sin.
Tell me why Homosexuality is a sin. I can pretty much guarantee that any biblical quote you find will meet the fate of the others - interpretation. Things in the bible aren't meant to be taken literally. Priests and devout catholics I havfe spoken to have said the same thing. It's mostly metaphorical in fact.

Oh and one more thing, all previous so-called messiahs before him do not have a religion following them 2000 years later, infact as soon as their leader was killed, the followers scatered.
What, like Judaism? Yeah that dissipated fairly quickly.

Yet that did not happen with Christians, they were willing to be persecuted, and killed, all in the name of Christ. I mean for there to be more records of a jewish guy from a despised race (jews were despised back in that time by the romans and other races), than there are records on the great roman emperors of that time, clearly says that theres something more to this Jesus, than what the majority of people who have never read a Bible, and think they know more of what happened 2000 years ago, than the eye witnesses of the day.
First off, I've read most of the Bible. Not all of it, I have no need for that. Second, Jesus was a rebel. THat's why he was remembered. Messiah or not, he was very smart, very influential, and well, not stubborn, but determined. If it weren't for these qualities, Christianity wouldn't have even formed beyond the apostles, if at all. He wasn't constantly converting people over by performing miracles, in fact he didn't try to convert people over to christianity since that would go against what he stood for and would imply that he had an ego large enough to want others to worship him. No, he merely stood up for what he believed in. Through influence, he was able to amass followers to see the wrongs of the Roman Empire of the time. These followers lived on and spread, which is partly why Christianity grew so rampantly. All of this does not point to messiah, just a great man. If it did, then people Like Martin Luther King, Vlademir Lenin and Joshep Stalin and hell, if the Nazis had won, even Hitler, would have been considered messiahs because they managed to rise against the majority (although the latter 3 through fear), fight for what they believed to be right and true, and through influence gained followers. Yeah, Hitler was a pretty bad guy, but he had most of Germany behind him at the start. Stalin and Lenin are still somewhat revered for the way that they shaped Russia. MLK is practically an American legend! Not because they were holy though, but because they held the same qualities Jesus would have as a rebel with a cause.

Either way, just because a religion survives doesn't make it completely factual. Buddhism is much older, as is Judaism. Is everything they say completely and literally true as well?

Oh and for you information, people did live past 40 back that, and to add to that the other gospels were written hundereds of years after Jesus' death and resurection.
I didn't say they never did, just that most didn't.
--Alex2539
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2006, 03:54:08 am »
I want to see the quote. Chances are it's exploitable.
  • Google Profile
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 73 queries.

anything