Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking topics  (Read 2239 times)

Locking topics
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:46:40 pm »
  • 笑い男
Not too sure if this is the best place but....
why the hell do people feel the need to actually lock a topic to force people not to reply when they've "solved" a problem? (in boards like the programming one)
what if they solved it badly? someone gave crap advise? i want to tell them they're an idiot?
I can neither try to help or do the opposite T_T
I can't even see a valid reason for locking a topic, just because you think you "solved" whatever problem you had is no *reason* :S
but more like an excuse just to annoy me? :D lol

Please enlighten me to why people do this :S

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Re: Locking topics
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:48:50 pm »
  • Minalien
I guess they feel it gives them a sense of closure on the problem? I dont really know, but it's up to the topic's creator if their topics get locked or not. Now, in *these* boards, the topics are locked because the staff has set their stance on an issue, or cleared the issue
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 05:49:49 pm »
  • hungry..
I completely agree. When someone solves their own problem, why not post the solution they came up with and even leave it up for discussion. I see no point in locking those topics whatsoever.
  • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 05:52:14 pm »
  • 笑い男
ah yeah, thats another point i forgot. if you have the same problem, you have to make a new topic and start all over again.
the reason for mods locking topics in these kind of boards makes sense of course. but i can only think of negative outcomes when users lock their own topics  because they've "solved" it

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 08:17:31 pm »
  • w00t
While that's true, it is still up the users to do that.  There's not much we can really do about it, so the best idea would be to live with it.  It would be rather silly to make a "no locking" rule, wouldn't it?  Especially when locking topics is usually done as a form of punishment.  Would the punishment in this case be unlocking the topic?  :P

I agree with what you're saying, and I too feel it would be better if resolved topics were left unlocked, we can't exactly force people to do it.  A good idea would be to spread the word, like you're doing here, but I think that's about as much as can be done.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 08:22:19 pm by dantheman »
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 08:36:26 pm »
  • 笑い男
it'd be a boring world if we all just went meh and let others do as they wish >:D, or whatever lol
but anyway yeah, i'm not like trying to get any rules made or anything, i just want to know why people feel the need to lock these kind of topics :P

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:56:36 am »
I guess they feel it gives them a sense of closure on the problem? I don't really know, but it's up to the topic's creator if their topics get locked or not. Now, in *these* boards, the topics are locked because the staff has set their stance on an issue, or cleared the issue
I think it's more of a slight power trip lol. Those who normally cannot lock a topic, suddenly get the chance to with their own topic. Obviously they are going to jump on it. It probably makes them feel special and warm inside to do it. It's not the hugest issue, but I agree 100% with ya. It's pretty annoying when !@#$% gets locked "just because" rather then an actual rule violation.

Ive found myself in a situation where I wanted to add a little something (useful I might add - not just a random comment) to a topic, only to find that its been locked by the creator because its solved or not needed to them. Even though it might be helpful to other users if it was still open for discussion. Or say for instance, somebody had a very similar problem, almost the exact same one as was solved previously int he topic that is now locked. But the resolution given didn't solve their problem so easy as it did for the topic creator. Rather then posting it in the topic, they then have to create a whole new topic about nearly the exact same thing, and then they probably end up locking that one too.
We may be human. But we're still animals.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 01:00:04 am »
Just PM them, you really can't force people to unlock their personal property. If someone was displaying their treasure, then they were done and locked it away from the world, you can't make them open it. Even though that comparison sucked, you should get the idea.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 01:07:02 am »
Just PM them, you really can't force people to unlock their personal property. If someone was displaying their treasure, then they were done and locked it away from the world, you can't make them open it. Even though that comparison sucked, you should get the idea.
He said he might want to add something onto the advise that was given. But that doesn't mean its just for that person. I mean, if the last advice given was enough to solve it for them then thats all good and dandy, but if its bad advise, it wouldn't hurt to add some better, more descriptive advice for anybody. Check out my previous comment for a slight elaboration on what I mean. Maybe you don't necessarily want to give that extra advice to just that one person via pm? Maybe you want to add onto there for whoever else visits that topic, or might have the same issues.

No we can't force anybody to do anything, hes just saying it would be nice if they wouldn't lock things without any reason really, other then their problem being solved for them alone. Because it's kind of nice to leave them open for other peoples benefit.

In the end the main question is, "is it really necessary?" If there is no real reason to lock it then why lock it? Even if you got what you were looking for, leave it open in case anybody else wants to discuss it. After all its a discussion forum.
We may be human. But we're still animals.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 01:12:43 am »
You're still giving the better advice... just, noone else can hear it.
Okay, maybe you are right.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 02:32:13 pm »
  • 笑い男
yes, forums are mainly for discussions in communities. why would topics be made in the first place instead of just PMing each other? :/
what skully's saying is exactly what i mean and that i'm not trying to take away their right to lock their own topics, but questioning their reasoning.
i guess i feel much stronger about using forums to their full potential rather than going over to the dark side and exercising what power you have, whenever an excuse arises :P

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 56 queries.