Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: [Demo 2.1] Relics of Nature's Fury  (Read 25878 times)

Re: [Demo] Relics of Nature's Fury
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2010, 10:00:41 pm »
NEW SCREENIE!

And yes, I'm working on a party swapping system...

The screen is very empty, so not much C+C to give. I do have to say that the arms on the blond girl are kind of short in respect to the rest of the body.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2010, 10:08:19 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
It's the style of the sprites. I just wanted to post a new screenie to prove that I am, in fact, working on this once more. Also, this is a pic of the peculiar town of Sennim, where the party is drugged by the townsfolk (led by the creepy guy there) to be sacrificed to the evil idol of Mecyam, who is a manifestation of Flynn, the big bad guy. I'd say more, but that would give it all away. The reason it's so empty is that Mecyam, alias Flynn, has them all entranced so there's nothing there really. Just a few trees and a few buildings. Just to give the "something's not quite right here..." feeling.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2010, 11:13:08 pm »
Actually, the emptiness is not just the lack of people. It is the lack of anything. I see a part of a building and a tree, which fills almost 10% of the screen. The rest is empty grass. Not much more buildings or trees or rocks or statues. Not even roads, flowers, dirt paches or puddles of water, it is just grass. That makes it rather empty.

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2010, 03:50:05 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.
Actually, the emptiness is not just the lack of people. It is the lack of anything. I see a part of a building and a tree, which fills almost 10% of the screen. The rest is empty grass. Not much more buildings or trees or rocks or statues. Not even roads, flowers, dirt paches or puddles of water, it is just grass. That makes it rather empty.

Yeah and it gives you the feeling that something isn't right.  Correct?  If you read what Mirby said, that is the whole point of it.

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2010, 04:26:10 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Yeah and it gives you the feeling that something isn't right.  Correct?  If you read what Mirby said, that is the whole point of it.

While I can understand if that's what's trying to be conveyed, I think the main issue is that there's not enough natural elements in the screen itself. It's not much to do with the amount of people, but rather the lack of natural features to give the area a more "put together" feel. If you leave an area completely empty, it forces the player to become bored far too quickly. If you compare to games like Seiken Densetsu 3, or Suikoden, there aren't many areas that consist of the same tile repeated. There's always some variation to give it depth.
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2010, 08:52:28 am »
Like Mamy said. The lack of features are a sign of something not right, but not in the sense of the game or story. It is not right in that it is not finished and probably that there is nothing to do.

If you want to create an ambiance of danger and that something isn't right, you need to add signs of that, instead of leaving them out. For example:

- Lot of houses, with broken or boarded up windows, but little to no people. (See Kakariko Village in TP).

- Missing or destroyed houses. Foundations are visible and maybe even remaining pieces of wall. But certainly on those places you will find a large dirt patch, roads and paths.

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2010, 03:47:12 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
downloaded the demo trying it out in a second, the only thing ive noticed that really bugged me in the screens is the fact that you use roof tiles for sidewalks and such, it doesnt look right at all.

demo doesnt work on here, need to rtp maybe a download to that on here? not everyone has rmxp
Pixelated Tree. | I make crappy Youtube videos now.
XBL- aaronshatonyou | PSN- cpt ehren | Steam- cptehren
  • Pixelated Tree

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2010, 08:53:55 pm »
that's the problem, one that I've known about since day 1. But... demo 2 will be uploaded later and most of those problems are fixed (roof tiles for sidewalks [still in one town, but there's a good reason], and such). Also, new battle system, voice clips, and more. Sennim is incomplete right now; I just left it where it was for the time being until I start work on Demo 3. Yes, there will be a Demo 4, and yes, I will actually release it. In the meantime, SCREENIES!
[spoiler=MEGA SCREENIE DUMP!]

A Caterpillar system, a la FF8, and Location Names!

CLASSIC GAMING REFERENCE GO!

Vacancy, anyone?

Look at that atrocious picture... Anyone want to make a better one?

The Party Swapping Station in action!
Pencil Puzzle Wall Art. There's a copyright statement to the left, off-screen in this pic. It'll all be removed later on.

The Shapeshifter menu (had to do away with the custom CMS; too many problems with new scripts)

The Clampburg Basement Bar, and impatient Francis (set it so Francis and Nikolai are always animated walking even when standing still to get some more personality to them)

This is the red town; I needed lots of red (the town theme is RED) so I used the red roof tiles as a pathway...

The Lyndis City Elder's Council. With Minimap!

NEW BATTLE SYSTEM! YAY!

The new Chino Main Street. With 100% less eyerape!

The Party Swapping Station!
[/spoiler]

I'll try to work the Rush attacks into the new battle system. Enjoy!

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2010, 09:13:13 pm »

WHen I saw this screen, the first thing to pop my head was ICE CLIMBERS  :P

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2010, 09:14:45 pm »
YAY! You get a cookie!

• Mirby Studios

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2010, 11:10:20 pm »
Demo 2!
I'm posting this on page 1 too, by the way.

• Mirby Studios
Re: [Demo 2] Relics of Nature's Fury
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2010, 10:34:12 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Though I'm not a big fan of RPG Maker or any games I have played that were made with it, this looks pretty good. I have yet to try a demo though, so I can't really say much of anything about it. Maybe I will try this out when I feel like taking a break from working on my own game.
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2010, 07:30:10 pm »
Well, of you do, you'll need these.

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE. TAKE THIS!

• Mirby Studios

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2010, 09:38:05 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Overall I kind of dislike the artistic direction of the game; probably because it all is very stock-RM, and less original :x The muscle babies look weird, and some tiles are used improperly (those city path tiles for example; they look more like steps than actual walkway masonry). There are also a lot of empty areas where there shouldn't be, which makes the experience much less enjoyable than it actually is (it gives the feeling of being tired, or warn out from playing quicker).

There are a lot of ways to improve what's there, and it's just a matter of taking the time to study other RPGs to see how they utilize their space and tiles. I mentioned this elsewhere; but a couple of good games to look at are Suikoden and Seiken Densetsu 3. Both show how to do a lot with a little.

Take a look at these to help give an idea of how to manage space properly, and hopefully lower the amount of repetitive tile usage-

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2010, 09:41:57 pm »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
Looks awful tight butthole also Western names? RPG? wow.
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2010, 05:34:00 pm »
  • b e p i s
There are also a lot of empty areas where there shouldn't be, which makes the experience much less enjoyable than it actually is (it gives the feeling of being tired, or warn out from playing quicker).

You often surprise me with exactly how insightful you are into game design...I never realized this fact until I read it.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2010, 08:41:01 pm »
Okay, first off, I'm not going to really keep this style. If something looks bad, it's because it's mainly placeholder. In the future I plan on changing the art style and stuff. Basically, I'm making the game, and then swapping out the graphics so it does it all at once. Either that, or I'm going to sell this as an IP and use this as an example f how I want it to be done. I'm not sure yet; basically I'm just making this to show that I can do it.

Thanks for the feedback; I'm trying to fix the problems you're mentioning. At least you're not like the guy on the RMVXP forums who mentioned a problem but gave no indication about what the hell he was talking about.

• Mirby Studios

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2010, 07:39:34 pm »
Sooo.... I uploaded a new demo. But only because there were some bugs I found that crash the game, and people need the fonts now included to read the text.
RoNF Demo 2.1

So if any of you had the game crash, this should fix that.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2010, 09:33:09 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Sooo.... I uploaded a new demo. But only because there were some bugs I found that crash the game, and people need the fonts now included to read the text.

I didn't see any fonts in there (???), so I went back and re-downloaded the fonts you attached for me back when you made the classic Zelda quote...

Well, of you do, you'll need these.

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE. TAKE THIS!

Anyway, I never got around to playing your game earlier this month because of the computer issues I was having, but now I've got a fresh install of Windows 7. I don't even have any games on here yet (save Cave Story, of course), so yours will be one of the first games to grace my sexy gaming PC this time around. I'll let you know what I think (but I won't play long because I've got my own project to work on).
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2010, 09:35:59 pm »
Everything is included in the RoNF executable. The readme, the fonts, everything should extract.

Also, understandable.

• Mirby Studios
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 76 queries.

anything