Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Developing a Zelda Fan Game  (Read 1336 times)

Developing a Zelda Fan Game
« on: September 21, 2008, 05:11:05 am »
  • Minalien
Well, I'm considering taking over the tutorial series that Tim had started with my own tutorial series, covering development for Windows and the XBOX 360 using XNA Framework (this is all still awaiting me talking to him about getting the access to the board, getting it cleared, and putting my !@#$% in <.<).

Anyways, I want some thoughts on Part 1 of my tutorial series (see attached PDF), so I know what I could improve in future tutorials, what I did well in this one, and thoughts on the idea in general, so that I can get a feel for whether or not the community thinks I should continue this project.

I want to hear your thoughts on everything, and I'll answer any questions you may have as well. The only reason I'm writing this tutorial in the first place is so that others can learn, and hopefully we may see more coming down our way for XBOX and other projects.

This is not only going to cover development of the engine using XNA, but also creating custom content importers for XNA, writing a custom exporter, as well as using the tool itself, for Tim's World Artist application, and the tutorial series is going to cover everything required to get a decently-working XNA Zelda project going on the PC and XBOX 360.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
Re: Developing a Zelda Fan Game
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:43:10 am »
Well done. That was set out really nicely, you closed this tutorial really well and it was easy to understand.
I knew it wasn't all that hard to program games using XNA, it's more of a matter of me getting off my ass and starting to learn how.
Can't wait for the next one :).
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 07:07:56 am »
  • Minalien
Thanks. Anything that you think I could have elaborated on a bit more, or anything that I could have done to make this better?
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:08:57 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
Well, I just had time to glance over the tutorial file, and it seemed ok and easy enough to understand, but I think it would help if you could include the full project+source in a file too, so IF there were some things that didn't make sense when setting up the project, or some code that was hard to understand when split up, one could just look at a completed project+source while reading and following the steps.

Anyway, I'm sorry, but I don't have time to fully read through the thing today, and can't comment on the tutorial itself.
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 09:10:41 pm »
  • Minalien
Well, I just had time to glance over the tutorial file, and it seemed ok and easy enough to understand, but I think it would help if you could include the full project+source in a file too, so IF there were some things that didn't make sense when setting up the project, or some code that was hard to understand when split up, one could just look at a completed project+source while reading and following the steps.

Anyway, I'm sorry, but I don't have time to fully read through the thing today, and can't comment on the tutorial itself.
That's what I intend to do, once I actually start getting into programming things. The code provided in this tutorial was what is generated when you create the XNA project, and there weren't any changes this time around, so I thought that it would be pointless to include the project files with this particular tutorial.

Since I've been granted permission and access to take over for Tim in the board, I'm going to go ahead and lock this topic.

• Development Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 44 queries.

anything