Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Would you like to see this come back? If so, what graphics style?

No
Yes, Link's Awakening/OoA/OoS Style
Yes, A Link to the Past Style
Yes, Minish Cap Style
Yes, other style (Please post)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: [OPEN SOURCE]The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time 2D  (Read 119544 times)

Vaati

Royal Assassin
Re: [DEMO]The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time ...
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2008, 02:53:02 pm »
  • Royal Assassin
Alright, this demo is awesome, keep up the good work. XD
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2008, 06:05:31 pm »
Impressive demo!
I would only suggest making the camera scroll with him a little bit better, Link almost has to be out of the camera field to do so.

But once again, the demo looks great!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2008, 06:32:19 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Played the demo--- have to ask...

How much of this did you code yourself? It plays almost as if you pieced together zelda example after zelda example to make it do what it does... At times theres things that feel as if they would have been programmed by someone experienced, while other spots in the demo feel as if someone who's never used GM before programmed it :s... Things such as the camera scrolling, the collision issues, the millisecond delay in the rolling, etc feel very amateur, however you have things such as a typewriter text engine, beating heart engine, etc that would have taken more skill to create.

It's almost as if someone took a beautifully detailed painting and opened it up in MSpaint to fill in the gaps :x

Otherwise, if this is one of your first GM games, all I can say is keep at it - if you know how to implement so many prebuilt engines without error already then you're on the right tack.

« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2008, 06:54:32 pm »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
Good jesus....this is bad. I think it actually became WORSE since the first demo.

I think it's safe to say that this is good practice. Keep working on this. You'll get better at GM and make cooler stuff in the future. But really, this is probably the worst OoT I've seen.

My point? Dont be so ambitious with your first GM creation. Save the ambitious stuff until you know GML really well.

Still, gotta agree with Mammy. The fact you managed to piece together a bunch of different engines by other people is impressive. You could become good with GM, but you arn't anywhere close yet.

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2008, 08:34:26 pm »
Good jesus....this is bad. I think it actually became WORSE since the first demo.

I think it's safe to say that this is good practice. Keep working on this. You'll get better at GM and make cooler stuff in the future. But really, this is probably the worst OoT I've seen.

My point? Dont be so ambitious with your first GM creation. Save the ambitious stuff until you know GML really well.

Still, gotta agree with Mammy. The fact you managed to piece together a bunch of different engines by other people is impressive. You could become good with GM, but you arn't anywhere close yet.

How much of this did you code yourself? It plays almost as if you pieced together zelda example after zelda example to make it do what it does... At times theres things that feel as if they would have been programmed by someone experienced, while other spots in the demo feel as if someone who's never used GM before programmed it :s... Things such as the camera scrolling, the collision issues, the millisecond delay in the rolling, etc feel very amateur, however you have things such as a typewriter text engine, beating heart engine, etc that would have taken more skill to create.

It's almost as if someone took a beautifully detailed painting and opened it up in MSpaint to fill in the gaps :x

Otherwise, if this is one of your first GM games, all I can say is keep at it - if you know how to implement so many prebuilt engines without error already then you're on the right tack.

first of all, this isn't my first game... and everything in it was made by me except the sprites..
the camera isn't too hard to change.. i just change the perimiter, and the text engine is only 3 lines of code. wasn't too hard to make. Probalbly the trickiest thing was the heart engine... i looked at other peoples engines to see how it worked and then made my own :) . the collision issues i am fixing right now... it's just the bounding box.  XD

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2008, 08:53:25 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

first of all, this isn't my first game... and everything in it was made by me except the sprites..
the camera isn't too hard to change.. i just change the perimiter, and the text engine is only 3 lines of code. wasn't too hard to make. Probalbly the trickiest thing was the heart engine... i looked at other peoples engines to see how it worked and then made my own :) . the collision issues i am fixing right now... it's just the bounding box.  XD

The hud engine yours too? The comments were very well written :p
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2008, 10:32:26 pm »

The hud engine yours too? The comments were very well written :p
Its pretty much the only thing with comments, and only in the create event...
how did u know i have comments?...  :huh:

« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2008, 11:28:40 pm »

Funny thing. You just randomly decided to add really detailed comments to an engine you didn't plan on giving to other people? Not even really meticulous, organized people usually fully detail their code like that.

Also, I find it odd that the graphics in the game are stored at 2x size. that's a huge waste of memory and really inflates the filesize. You could magnify the game to 2x size much more easily by using the views correctly.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:42:02 pm by Aliento »

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2008, 11:46:48 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
I believe your new Deku tree was drawn by Seith or TheChainDog. Or both of them together. Also, the controls are very-counter intuitive... Your continue conversation button is way away from where it should be, making it feel awkward. space should be for menu to keep you from having to move your character movement hand just to open it. This is why demos are made tho, no?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:48:25 pm by DJvenom, the Hallowed »
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2008, 12:01:05 am »
Not even really meticulous, organized people usually fully detail their code like that.
Speak for yourself. I comment like a nutter.
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2008, 12:02:32 am »
  • *whistle*
Not even really meticulous, organized people usually fully detail their code like that.

I suppose that should've been "only really meticulous, organised people".

Also, the commenting style seems inconsistent at best... hmm.
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2008, 12:15:47 am »
I suppose that should've been "only really meticulous, organised people".
Fair enough, but the way the comments are written in the HUD makes it look like a tutorial someone made for public use.

« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2008, 02:50:18 am »
  • 笑い男
and the text engine is only 3 lines of code. wasn't too hard to make.
? O_o

Like in the video I watched I had to sit through the intro scene every time I wanted to play it D:
seems like there was a key to fast forward the text though, not sure which one... was mashing them all ^^;

But yeah... collision seemed a bit weird and got a bit annoying though

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2008, 03:55:41 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
I played the demo and this is what I found wrong with it (please don't get discouraged):

-When you press D to continue the chat, it cuts it off entirely if I press it mid-speech. This is incredibly annoying. As much as I just want to speed through it, it should STILL show all of the text before continuing.

-I had a hard time going down the stairs. Near the end, I would go down slower.

-You might want to get a new sprite or something for Link's room. It looks a hell of a lot like he's walking ON TOP of a tree stump...when from what I remember in OoT, it's just like, a pattern of sorts near the middle.

-I FELL INTO AN INFINITE LOOP K. At least, I think it's an infinite loop. When I get the sword, I'm all like YAY sword...but I stay as YAY SWORD and can't move.

-The movement's awkward as is the screen movement...

Sorry, those were just my thoughts. I haven't "programmed" in Game Maker before, but I do know how to play a game.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

joshyboy

« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2008, 09:43:09 am »
Not sure how well i remember this, but when Lin sent me your .gmk to help solve a problem i believe you are using TRM's heart engine and it is TRM's HUD. I also think it is TRM's text engine? No?

I may be wrong.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2008, 02:43:03 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Ahmio; we greatly frown upon stealing other people's content here and passing it off as your own...

Although for the most part that demo is done using drag and drop commands; so I don't think too much of it is borrowed engines

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2008, 03:51:40 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Ahmio; we greatly frown upon stealing other people's content here and passing it off as your own...

Although for the most part that demo is done using drag and drop commands; so I don't think too much of it is borrowed engines

Stealing code and content is frowned upon everywhere. It can be very obvious where one stole code, believe it or not. People code and comment in very different ways (I'm quite unique with my programming style).

That's disappointing...
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2008, 11:55:11 pm »

Funny thing. You just randomly decided to add really detailed comments to an engine you didn't plan on giving to other people? Not even really meticulous, organized people usually fully detail their code like that.

Also, I find it odd that the graphics in the game are stored at 2x size. that's a huge waste of memory and really inflates the filesize. You could magnify the game to 2x size much more easily by using the views correctly.
Nope, I copied+Pasted that... but i modified most of it so i pretty much made it... ( i only have those cause it's really complicated) Look at the step event of obj_HUD... not even 1 comment.

Not sure how well i remember this, but when Lin sent me your .gmk to help solve a problem i believe you are using TRM's heart engine and it is TRM's HUD. I also think it is TRM's text engine? No?

I may be wrong.
Nope, there not TRM's. only the sprites. here are TRM's engines: http://dark-dev.com/ocarina-of-time-2d/zelda-ocarina-of-time-2d.html
here's mine: http://www.mediafire.com/?di1zajndjog (Check System->HUD 4 heart engine, System->talk,talk 4 text)

I played the demo and this is what I found wrong with it (please don't get discouraged):

-When you press D to continue the chat, it cuts it off entirely if I press it mid-speech. This is incredibly annoying. As much as I just want to speed through it, it should STILL show all of the text before continuing.

-You might want to get a new sprite or something for Link's room. It looks a hell of a lot like he's walking ON TOP of a tree stump...when from what I remember in OoT, it's just like, a pattern of sorts near the middle.

-I FELL INTO AN INFINITE LOOP K. At least, I think it's an infinite loop. When I get the sword, I'm all like YAY sword...but I stay as YAY SWORD and can't move.

Sorry, those were just my thoughts. I haven't "programmed" in Game Maker before, but I do know how to play a game.
Thanks. Constructive critisism doesn't discourage me..it helps me fix my problems! :P
I believe your new Deku tree was drawn by Seith or TheChainDog. Or both of them together. Also, the controls are very-counter intuitive... Your continue conversation button is way away from where it should be, making it feel awkward. space should be for menu to keep you from having to move your character movement hand just to open it. This is why demos are made tho, no?
Really. Thanks. I might make space, but then there's a problem of pressing it accidentally...  XD

Drag & Drop!?!  :o I think you should look at the GMK...

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2008, 12:10:23 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Nope, I copied+Pasted that... but i modified most of it so i pretty much made it... ( i only have those cause it's really complicated) Look at the step event of obj_HUD... not even 1 comment.

I may be wrong.
Nope, there not TRM's. only the sprites. here are TRM's engines: http://dark-dev.com/ocarina-of-time-2d/zelda-ocarina-of-time-2d.html
here's mine: http://www.mediafire.com/?di1zajndjog (Check System->HUD 4 heart engine, System->talk,talk 4 text)

Thanks. Constructive critisism doesn't discourage me..it helps me fix my problems! :P
Really. Thanks. I might make space, but then there's a problem of pressing it accidentally...  XD

Firstly; They're not TRM's sprites <_<;; I've made that quite clear in a few posts. TRM barely did any sprite work.

Second :P I have the GMK...
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2008, 11:45:43 am »

I may be wrong.

Firstly; They're not TRM's sprites <_<;; I've made that quite clear in a few posts. TRM barely did any sprite work.

Second :P I have the GMK...
1.Who's sprites are they?... :huh:
2.If you have the GMK, then u know i'm not using D&D :P
3.Who made the original heart engine i'm using.... :o

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 78 queries.