Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Debate: On-topicness  (Read 2578 times)

Cheese

Debate: On-topicness
« on: May 23, 2006, 08:43:19 pm »
Mod Edit: Keep on topic completely.

That's what I'm seeing topic after topic after topic.

My opinion: unneccessary.  Keeping "on topic" is (1) subjective and (2) pointless?  If the discussion evolves, we should have a right to speak it (naturally I'm taking this quote out of context, so let's not get into that, but you get what I mean).

dylan623

Re: Debate: On-topicness
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:05:26 pm »
Mod Edit: Keep on topic completely.

That's what I'm seeing topic after topic after topic.

My opinion: unneccessary.  Keeping "on topic" is (1) subjective and (2) pointless?  If the discussion evolves, we should have a right to speak it (naturally I'm taking this quote out of context, so let's not get into that, but you get what I mean).
I agree with you (since I get off-topic a lot :P)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 09:06:48 pm »
  • ZFGC Founder
I believe a topic can evolve (hahaha), but when it gets completely out of the realm of being on-topic I think it's enough.

Limey

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 09:13:28 pm »
It depends for me.

Personally, I think an evolution topic leading to religous creation makes sence, it evolved into that (lol pun).

But there IS a difference when the conversation shifts from evolution to what they're doing that afternoon u__u
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 09:17:19 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
Seriously, a topic is made to allow people to concentrate on a certain matter. Otherwise the forums would be a huge chatroom.

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 09:38:17 pm »
Debates often need to expand into related areas, so as long as theres some sort of relevance such that it can lead back to the original topic.
Where a debate topic gets braided into multiple miniture debates it can lose its purpose, although someone may have a point relating to a previous item in the debate that hasnt been mentioned in a while. In this situation someone may try to change the locus of the debate, and so if what they have to mention on the previous sub-topic is important enough, they can succesfully acomplish this as long as the can finalize the current sub topic, though it might take a few posts.
As limey said, it depends on the nature of the topic.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 09:49:59 pm »
  • Huzzowee!
I believe a topic can evolve (hahaha), but when it gets completely out of the realm of being on-topic I think it's enough.
Lol! I see what you did there!

As far as I'm concerned, there's no problem with a topic evolving. most of the debates here did that on their own. However, there are times where someone will just start talking about something else without any sort of relation to what the topic is about. It's times like those that a mod should say to get back on.

Also, if a problem arises, such as a flame war or something, then a mod should tell them to focus on the topic again and not what has just happened, since we want flame wars to be contained and not enlarged.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 06:25:15 am »
  • The Broken King
It's important that topics are allowed to follow tangents (in many cases), as real conversation follows that way...in certain topics, such as debates, this is far from necessary, and actually detrimental to the topic, but in many more, it actually helps keep the topic going.
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]

Gilgamesh

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 02:59:01 pm »
You know the problem with kids these days? They always think they're right. Them and their loud "rock&roll" music. I mean, seriously, what the hell is up with them? They're plain thugs nowadays. With their long greasy hair and leather jackets and "motor cycles". Back in my day, we took the damn HELICOPTER. None of that fancy "motor cycle" stuff.

Now that's getting off topic.

You got a point though. Topics can easily change into other discussions which usually do have a relation to the content of the topic. There are very little matters which can only be discussed by viewing just one side of it.

Cheese

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 03:01:26 pm »
Excellent example, and I suppose you're right.  Speaking of which, this isn't seeming very much like a debate...

...maybe it could be moved to "off-topic"?

Gilgamesh

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 03:08:24 pm »
Excellent example, and I suppose you're right.  Speaking of which, this isn't seeming very much like a debate...

...maybe it could be moved to "off-topic"?
Haha.

Let's talk about Cheese's relationship to a certain furry mammal. ;P
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 01:06:53 am »
I dont remeber mods telling people to get back on topic...rarely...we let conversation go its own way, and it usually doesnt totally change so....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 60 queries.

anything