Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Direction of the Tutorial Series  (Read 1143 times)

Direction of the Tutorial Series
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:18:45 pm »
  • Minalien
Alright, let me put this out in the open here and now.

While there were a couple people who did follow along with the tutorial, there was little feedback and fewer questions, which means that there is less activity than I would prefer to have if I'm going to continue this tutorial series. So, I figured that I would start over, and I also figured that, in order to gain activity, I would develop it with the community's interests in mind.

I want only replies that follow the guidelines I am about to set. I would like it if you answer the questions honestly and, and want you to elaborate, so that I can fully understand where you are coming from and how you think you would do best.

With that, please reply with answers to the following questions. Anything else should be taken to the Discussion Topic.

1) Did you follow my previous tutorial series? If so, what could I do to improve it, and what did I do that you feel is right?

2) Did you follow Infini's tutorial series? If so, what did he do right, and what could be improved upon?

3) What platforms would you like me to cover in the new tutorial series?

4) What would you prefer to use to develop with, and why? This can be anything ranging from game engines to media libraries that you are interested in.

5) Are you willing to learn new languages and/or to learn to use other tools and engines? If not, why not?

6) What format should I deliver the new series in? Should I do multiple formats, such as PDF, HTML, and even BBC? Or should I focus on another distribution medium, such as podcasted video tutorials for your Zune, iPod, or other podcast viewer?

7) How general should I make the tutorial series? Do you want me to cover techniques used in a specific style, or cover multiple styles? Should I teach you how to create your own design tools?

8) What, specifically, do you hope to learn and gain from reading my tutorials?

9) What other comments do you have, with regard to the tutorial series, that could help me to make the tutorial series better for you to learn from?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:43:01 pm by Minalien »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
Re: Direction of the Tutorial Series
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:33:45 pm »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
For all question not answered, assume no.

1) To some degree, what you covered was done well enough.

3) Whatever the majority of the userbase uses, if there's a split between low level users and high level then one for each.

4) I personally use XNA for the profit potential.

5) Always but then I'm experienced so probably not the best person to ask for this.

6) Just start with the forum so you can take questions from users, refine, and then potentially into things like PDF.

7) Not the best person to ask.

8) I don't

9) My main piece of advice is that the majority of the people you're dealing with have never coded before (which you know).  Instead of starting the tutorial with lesson 1 at programming, start it at the planning stages.  Most people need to know how to properly plan out a game and the basic mistakes to avoid to get their project off the ground and running.

In example, having your first game be a full feature Zelda Fan Game where you plan to recruit five other experienced team members should be discouraged. 

Teaching them how to program without teaching them how to actually tackle game design is like giving them a shotgun instead of a pistol to shoot themselves in the foot with.  Hit me up in chat if I'm not being entirely clear.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:34:50 pm by Minalien »

I C'Z U
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 09:23:48 pm »
The only question I could really answer is what languages:
C# and XNA

Though something NOT dependant on the XNA system would be nice.

Though I would also like a SDL(I can never get the damn thing to link properly >.< I even did LazyFoo's tutorial and it won't work.) and Torque tutorial as well.

MinEdit:
Foreshadower, please provide some sort of reason to back up your views on this. I created this topic as a survey so that I can get not only information on what people want, but also why they would (or would not) want to use a certain system.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:29:50 am by Minalien »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:09:55 pm »
1) Yes. Well, honestly, I thought the layout and descriptions were nicely organized, and detailed enough. I have to agree with Pyrazor, setting out the overall framework would be a good start.

2) Yes. Again, in my opinion, any information is good information, so no complaints from me.

3) Staying with Windows is fine.

4) I for some reason have been put off by XNA. I can't really explain why. For some reason I enjoyed using MDX, and have found a library called SlimDX to continue experimenting with. However, if you continue developing with XNA, I won't be heart broken. Please stay with c# for the series, I enjoy that language so much.

5) Sure, I'm open to all, except VB, can't stand VB.

6) I personally enjoy the .pdf format you have used prior. Although plain ole text on the forum would be just as good.

7) Stick with the engine. It's a Zelda based site, so I'm guessing most people are interested in building a Zelda styled game.

8) Mainly good practices. Learning how to manage resources, and building an efficient 2D game engine that is generic enough to add on to.

9) I really enjoyed the series leading up to your absence, so nothing to speak of.
  • Pyxosoft
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 42 queries.

anything