Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: GB : Clock Town (MM)  (Read 9925 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: GB : Clocktown (MM)
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 05:00:53 pm »
Looks good so far, but again, you aren't following GB rules D:, as in 4 colours per tile. Right now it looks like LTTP with GBC tiles in it, for example you aren't using gbc ledges nor fences.
Would you mind re-posting my progress circling all the errors?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 05:09:25 pm »
hmm here: IMO your take is good, but you are making the same mistakes than SC, meaning that even if you sprite it all, it won't look like GBC style..

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 05:24:54 pm »
I'll be back in 35 mins. Could you re-post it again highlighting and explain the errors?
  • Phoenix Heart

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
Re: GB : Clock Town (MM)
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 01:33:34 am »
  • Silly cat!
I'm just saying that you forget that Clock Town is actually filled with a lot of NPCs, including the Bombers, the Carpenters, the Postman when he's on his runs, plus a bunch of other people who move about and stand around. I really think that that Clock Town would be too small to support all of those NPCs AND Link.

Though, the cramped nature does make it look more "Clock Town"-ish.

Hoffy.
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 01:38:50 am »
I'll be back in 35 mins. Could you re-post it again highlighting and explain the errors?
well, most of the cyrcles refer to not GB style, or badly ripped.

hmm I must agree with Hoffy, but still, I prefer it smaller, maybe one or two tiles bigger?

edit: and the colours remind me of lttp style, not gb.. IMO before you continue you should fix it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:41:23 am by Kren »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 01:44:38 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm just saying that you forget that Clock Town is actually filled with a lot of NPCs, including the Bombers, the Carpenters, the Postman when he's on his runs, plus a bunch of other people who move about and stand around. I really think that that Clock Town would be too small to support all of those NPCs AND Link.

Though, the cramped nature does make it look more "Clock Town"-ish.

You can't make it 1:1 scale from 3d to GB style; you'd have to increase its size to make it not so... unenjoyably crowded in GB style :p

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 02:00:47 am »
It was shown in OoT2D, and it is also shown here. 3D -> 2D transition does not work perfectly. Editing has to be done, and as Mammy said, it can't be 1:1.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 02:01:08 am »
I agree with what most are saying. I feel like it's too small, and though it would add a more cozy feel to the environment, you won't be able to walk around freely and the NPC's would be blocking you most of the time. You have to figure that there will be at LEAST two sets of NPCs walking around the town at once. You'll have the bombers and the carpenters always moving. Plus there are the stationary NPC's, the mailman, the dog, Anju on two[?] days, the guy that goes to the bar. .. There's always movement in the town. And as Link, you'll get stopped up. So, I'd definitely increase the size by making every walkway at least two tiles. The colors are off as well. There isn't enough contrast in the area and it looks a bit dull, you know? You can use darker colors if you want. I did in my more recent pieces of map if you'll notice, but then I used a complimentary color to offset the darkness and make the section pop. GB DOES use dark colors, but it's done differently than in the direction you're headed now. So, rethink the palette and make it more colorful even if your want to stick with a more muted tone. I think the mailbox sprite is a little unrecognizable. It's hard to tell that's what it is. So maybe try respriting that, too. You'll also have to solve the problem of the stores on the sides of Clocktown and how you're going to display them. Since they don't have a south facing entrance, it could be quite a problem. :O Get creative and don't do the stupid thing I did with my Clocktown map. Haha Rotated doors look terrible. It's nice so far though and bringing up a bunch of nostalgic memories! :P
  • My Photostream
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 02:29:05 am »
hmm Maybe the npcs aren't solid objects? like in CT( not sure about it). hmm lol rotated doors aren't bad they are used in dungeons :P, but aslong as the style doesn't collide it is fine.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 03:20:32 am »
NPCs were solid objects in CT, but we know what you're talking about.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 03:28:37 am »
That might work. I still feel the area is small regardless. I mean.. you're going to spend a ton of gameplay time in there, you know?
  • My Photostream

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 05:28:05 am »
I agree with what most are saying. I feel like it's too small, and though it would add a more cozy feel to the environment, you won't be able to walk around freely and the NPC's would be blocking you most of the time. You have to figure that there will be at LEAST two sets of NPCs walking around the town at once. You'll have the bombers and the carpenters always moving. Plus there are the stationary NPC's, the mailman, the dog, Anju on two[?] days, the guy that goes to the bar. .. There's always movement in the town. And as Link, you'll get stopped up. So, I'd definitely increase the size by making every walkway at least two tiles. The colors are off as well. There isn't enough contrast in the area and it looks a bit dull, you know? You can use darker colors if you want. I did in my more recent pieces of map if you'll notice, but then I used a complimentary color to offset the darkness and make the section pop. GB DOES use dark colors, but it's done differently than in the direction you're headed now. So, rethink the palette and make it more colorful even if your want to stick with a more muted tone. I think the mailbox sprite is a little unrecognizable. It's hard to tell that's what it is. So maybe try respriting that, too. You'll also have to solve the problem of the stores on the sides of Clocktown and how you're going to display them. Since they don't have a south facing entrance, it could be quite a problem. :O Get creative and don't do the stupid thing I did with my Clocktown map. Haha Rotated doors look terrible. It's nice so far though and bringing up a bunch of nostalgic memories! :P
Walkways : I'll do that today.
Colors : There's no tutorial or anything about using the palette colours correctly. Please could someone help me! I'm going to be stuck until I get a SIMPLE tutorial on how to use palette colours right.
Shops : I was think Signs?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 05:51:31 am »
Signs could definitely work. Maybe a sign with a little arrow on it?

About the color palette. This is what I do; Just rip it from another sprite. That's all you really have to do. Put some tiles together and see if they compliment each other and then recolor recolor recolor. Each sprite can only have a max of three colors if it's a tile and two if it's a sprite. The only exception is if the sprite has something special about it. [i.e. a red bow or holding an item.] If there is something special about it, still keep that to two color so you should have a max of three colors on a sprite. Let's say you had a girl with a bow. She would have a white color for her skin and yellow for the dress and the shadows on her face. The bow would be red and use white again for the highlight. Now, tiles could be a little different. It depends on how strict to GB style you want to be. In my more recent pieces, I break the rule of three colors because I make tiles that are like transitional tiles between two areas. So it would have a bit of each tile on either side of it thus making it have five or six colors. If you don't want to do that and you want to keep it traditional, then just stick to the rule of three colors. Sooo, to sum up the overly long post about color palette, rip your colors from other sprites, stick to a maximum of three colors per tile and make sure all the tiles in the area compliment each other in terms of color theory. Hope that helps a bit?
  • My Photostream

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 05:56:03 am »
Would you mind doing 1 tile for me posting my attempt and then your fix? Then I can fully see what you mean.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 05:58:41 am »
I'd be glad to, but what do you mean exactly? lol Like one tile of what? Or do you mean a whole section?

By the way, looking over your map again, it's really more about how the colors look together rather than breaking the color limit. So I really typed all that for nothing. Hahah.
  • My Photostream

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 06:04:48 am »
I'd be glad to, but what do you mean exactly? lol Like one tile of what? Or do you mean a whole section?

By the way, looking over your map again, it's really more about how the colors look together rather than breaking the color limit. So I really typed all that for nothing. Hahah.
Okay. I have a new idew. Could you do what Kren did and highlight what I did wrong on the map? And explain what I did wrong?

I always loved GB style but never got the hang of it. I want to now.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 06:06:30 am »
Those elevated platforms at the east wall of east Clock Town could use some distinction from the floor. You have to look really close to see the separating line. You can do this by giving the platforms a darker color, or making a thicker line.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 06:11:18 am »
Those elevated platforms at the east wall of east Clock Town could use some distinction from the floor. You have to look really close to see the separating line. You can do this by giving the platforms a darker color, or making a thicker line.
I just finished that LOL
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 06:41:02 am »

I think this is more of a GB palette. [Except the tops of the walls I didn't want to take the time to recolor. Haha. Imagine they're colored like the walls.] I would try and stick with this type of feel for Clocktown. Don't worry so much about lines between things either like the ones you have between the line of water and the wood tile. But generally, just think brighter. The colors may not be just like the actual game, but since you're using a new style, you have to take into account the feel an environment a GB game gives you. So overall, brighter and happier. In the example I made, the things I would change would be to add a rail, like what you have on the edges of the water, on the edges of the platforms. [Including the one on the clock.] Otherwise, leave the edges as they are. Buut, that's just how I feel. Hahaha.
  • My Photostream

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 06:46:08 am »
I'll work on it. Thanks man. BTW, do you have a GB palette?
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 75 queries.

anything