Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wow, the Phantom Hourglass controls are really great, oh wait, i mean annoying  (Read 2852 times)

Wow, the Phantom Hourglass controls are really g...
« on: July 17, 2009, 02:29:15 am »
I just "got" the game, the controls are pretty bad. Newsflash Nintendo, just because you can make the touch screen control everything from movement to attack, doesn't mean you should. I just started the game, and the controls i find pretty stupid. Yes, i realize i will eventually "get used" to them, but they will always suck, no matter how used to it i am. The dpad is there for a reason Nintendo, and no, it's not for button shortcuts. God i hope they add dpad movement and abxy attack and such in Zelda: Train Simulation, i mean spirit tracks.

Re: Wow, the Phantom Hourglass controls are real...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 03:01:30 am »
I'm going to sound like a fanboy here, but I didn't have a problem with them. I always hear people complaining about the controls but they just never bothered me for some reason.

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:32:13 am »
I'm going to sound like a fanboy here, but I didn't have a problem with them. I always hear people complaining about the controls but they just never bothered me for some reason.

Same here. I actually like the controls.

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 05:44:41 pm »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.

Same here took me maybe 5 minutes to get used to them, but then i started to love them.  It was a great way to use the technology.

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 05:58:19 pm »
Obviously all 3 of you are confused :(

It's ok, we'll get through this, Nintendo has taken over your minds to make believe the controls are good.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 06:42:26 pm »
Obviously all 3 of you are confused :(

It's ok, we'll get through this, Nintendo has taken over your minds to make believe the controls are good.

It's ok FISSURE, I'm with you on this one. I just really didn't like the controls at all. I'd much rather use a DPad. The shitty control scheme led to me not finishing the game. >_>
  • https://colbydude.com

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 06:55:13 pm »
I'd rather use the D-Pad as well, but the way it is now isn't bad too...

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,
SinkinDevil: Spriter, Dotyue: Spriter, Tompel: Tiler/Spriter, 
Mamoruanime: Tiler, DJvenom: Spriter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:37:02 pm »
I'm ruling this operator error.

Sorry FISSURE. I had no issues with it at all, nor did my mom. I did have issues with drawing a triforce on the screen during a specific part of the game.. but aside from that I had no real major issues.. The game is pretty fun and pretty awesome..

Now, Nintendo should have been nice and made it either touch screen or not touch screen.. I could agree with that.. plus you could play the game over and have a completely different feel.. but I think it's pretty dependent on the touch screen stuff.

Anyway. <3 Fissure.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:10:13 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
It's not about whether the controls are usable or not; it's how retarded they are.  Those of us with superior taste know that Nintendo's lame innovations are !@#$%.  We have higher standards!  !@#$% you Nintendo!  No stars!  Two thumbs way down!  Your former consumers are in another castle!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 08:20:39 pm »
I'm ruling this operator error.

Sorry FISSURE. I had no issues with it at all, nor did my mom. I did have issues with drawing a triforce on the screen during a specific part of the game.. but aside from that I had no real major issues.. The game is pretty fun and pretty awesome..

Now, Nintendo should have been nice and made it either touch screen or not touch screen.. I could agree with that.. plus you could play the game over and have a completely different feel.. but I think it's pretty dependent on the touch screen stuff.

Anyway. <3 Fissure.

lol user error, silly vashy.

Also, Nintendo needs to stop putting the dumb drawing on the map thing, the maps are always too tiny to draw on, just like d/p and PH, i don't ever plan on drawing on the map, it's pointless.

The controls may be "usable" that doesn't make them good though. Dpad control is a lot better then touch screen control, easier movement. Sure, you can use the touch screen to move, but you shouldn't have too. Like i said, the dpad is there, put it to good use instead of menu and shortcut stuff.

Innovation may be good, but there are times when it constricts and can easily mess up gameplay to people who may not get used to moving on a tiny screen using a pen to move link who somehow can't swim even though this is a sequel to WW and in WW he could still swim, not far, but he was still able to swim.

<3 vashy

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 08:39:25 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I agree, the controls suck. It's one of the reasons why I couldn't stand the game and why I never completed it. The other reason is how you have to go back to that stupid temple and replay it over and over... and over, etc. But that's unrelated to the topic. The controls just suck.

And yes, drawing on those tiny maps just doesn't cut it sometimes. And the use of the stylus seems a little over the top. It's like Nintendo thinks they've got something good, so they need to use it as much as possible. Even if something is good though, you can have too much of it, and that's what I think they did in PH with the use of the stylus.
  • My Music
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 08:43:46 pm »
I agree, the controls suck. It's one of the reasons why I couldn't stand the game and why I never completed it. The other reason is how you have to go back to that stupid temple and replay it over and over... and over, etc. But that's unrelated to the topic. The controls just suck.
It wasn't that bad.

I do agree that the controls are pretty bad for me. I learned that using the stylus to move and do everything else all the time will cramp up my hand. Then I have to stop playing for a while. Not very fun. I want my D-Pad to make movement.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 09:01:52 pm »

Truth right here, there were only two really real problems with PH for me, difficulty and music, That MUSIC was HORRIBLE!!! And some of the dungeons were on the short side... thanks to the Ocean King dungeon... which was annoying at times... :|

Manly men don't sass. Manly men get in FIGHTS! Fist fights using manly fists!
  • JetDesigns
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 12:03:30 am »
Also, Nintendo needs to stop putting the dumb drawing on the map thing, the maps are always too tiny to draw on, just like d/p and PH, i don't ever plan on drawing on the map, it's pointless.
Well, I agree that the hints often can be remembered and don't need to be put on the map. But the maps aren't too small to draw on.

The controls may be "usable" that doesn't make them good though. Dpad control is a lot better then touch screen control, easier movement. Sure, you can use the touch screen to move, but you shouldn't have too. Like i said, the dpad is there, put it to good use instead of menu and shortcut stuff.
The controls are actually pretty good and because the d-pad is there, doesn't mean it needs to be used. The type of control doesn't seem to bother gamers who play adventures on a PC or games like Diablo. And the controls are actually pretty much the same, because the stylus works like a mouse.
Additionally, with the stylus you've got far more control over Link. Instead of having the movements of Link limited to 4 (or 8 in the case of walking) directions, you've got now 360 degrees of freedom. And no, a D-pad can't have 360 degrees of freedom. You need an analogue stick for that.
You've also got more control over the sword movements, because with the classic controls you are dependent on a single sword swing, while with the stylus you can make stabs, horizontal and vertical slashes.
When your in a pinch and get surrounded by enemies you can easier fight them of with a spin attack. With a button you always needed to charge it, while you don't even get the chance.
All in all, for a 2D game you've got a lot more freedom with a stylus, then a D-pad and buttons.

Innovation may be good, but there are times when it constricts and can easily mess up gameplay to people who may not get used to moving on a tiny screen using a pen to move link who somehow can't swim even though this is a sequel to WW and in WW he could still swim, not far, but he was still able to swim.
The stylus actually has more gameplay possibilities then the d-pad. That Link can't swim is due to gameplay choices by Nintendo and not limitations of the stylus.

I learned that using the stylus to move and do everything else all the time will cramp up my hand. Then I have to stop playing for a while. Not very fun. I want my D-Pad to make movement.
That is probably because the stylus is to short and you've got a too forced grip. If you use a longer stylus and hold it like an ordinary pen, then you should have less problems.
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 12:09:35 am »
Well, I agree that the hints often can be remembered and don't need to be put on the map. But the maps aren't too small to draw on.

Yeah, Perhaps if you're a borrower.

I enjoyed PH for a short while but it became FAR to repetitive (Seriously it could easily compete against Metroid Prime).

That Cave was an utter pain in the ass and seemed a rather poor attempt to extend gameplay...
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 12:15:12 am »
Agreed about the control scheme, utter !@#$%. That along with the difficulty level and the Temple of the Ocean King make this one zelda game that I'll probably never touch again. Seriously, I had to force myself not to beat the damn thing in more than 2 or 3 sittings.
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 04:01:46 am »
I never liked the controls. I suppose it didn't help that my sister retarded her touchscreen and as you moved closer to the bottom middle of the screen it would draw about 6-8mm further right than you were trying to.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 09:23:54 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
I didn't mind them, and I played it on an emulator! That's saying something. However, D-pad movement would've been nice. As would ABXY attacking. However, the controls for the items were great. Draw a path for your boomerang, pinpoint accuracy for arrows, bombs, the hammer, and the shovel, paths for bombchus (finally, they have a use), among others. Drawing on the map was useful (for quick notes and stuff, plus you can draw messed up stuff on it [spoiler=SECRET]I drew a penis on the inlet for the first island's map (forget what it's called)[/spoiler], which is always fun. And shooting at seagulls is fun too. I had no qualms with the controls, but they could have been better.

Also, Phantom Sword is fun! Killing those damn Phantoms is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game, after the mandatory Attempted Slaying Of The Cucco.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 08:01:54 pm »
Also, Phantom Sword is fun! Killing those damn Phantoms is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game, after the mandatory Attempted Slaying Of The Cucco.

Off course the killing of the Phantoms is cool, because you had to avoid them constantly. The first thing I thought when I had gotten the Phantom Sword: VENGEANCE !!!!!!!!!  >:D >:D >:D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:07:21 pm by Niek »
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 08:05:24 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
I loved the controls. I'd have liked to be able to switch between them and d-pad control, but i think they worked great anyway. I just hated the temple of the ocean king...

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 76 queries.