Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Project Needlemouse... Sonic 4???  (Read 4269 times)

Project Needlemouse... Sonic 4???
« on: February 04, 2010, 06:26:45 pm »
Kotaku article:
http://kotaku.com/5463913/project-needlemouse-is-sonic-4-episode-i

Sonic 4 site:
http://www.sonicthehedgehog4.com/us/index.html

so, looks like Sega is trying to regain some respect with the old school Sonic fans... by making a sequel to Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

so, how does this seem to everyone else? Personally, I'll play it for sure, of course I'll miss the Sonic Unleashed style I liked (for some reason?) but I'm really not sure if this move is a good thing or a bad thing...

Episodic seems like an idea, if its like Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles it shouldn't be bad... but still not sure myself on this idea either...

ZFGC... you decide....
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:28:04 pm by Jetstorm4 »

Manly men don't sass. Manly men get in FIGHTS! Fist fights using manly fists!
  • JetDesigns

Mirby

Drifter
Re: Project Needlemouse... Sonic 4???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 06:33:15 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Co-op! No, what they need to do is get the old team together and use the old graphics and stuff. Look how well Mega Man 9 did. So well they're making Mega Man 10 the same way. So that should prove retro is in and profitable.

I'd like to see them re-do the lock-on cartridge with today's technology.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:39:00 pm »
Co-op! No, what they need to do is get the old team together and use the old graphics and stuff. Look how well Mega Man 9 did. So well they're making Mega Man 10 the same way. So that should prove retro is in and profitable.

I'd like to see them re-do the lock-on cartridge with today's technology.
Ah... Lock-on carts... love them XDXDXD

Right, Megaman 9 did very well and it did actually feel like a new Megaman game, this COULD do the same thing, but it could also feel like just a downloadable 3D graphic remake of Sonic 3 or a Console sonic rush... but again, I'm not sure, but I will play it still... :D

• JetDesigns
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 07:43:13 pm »
Could be fun, won't be sure until it is released. But episodic games always make me feel like paying a games price for a demo. On the other hand I have always enjoyed the 3D sonic games.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 07:50:43 pm »
I was just going to make a post on this. Haha :P
This is looking like it will be the best Sonic game in a long time. Mainly because a majority of the 3D ones sucked balls due to poor gameplay, boring gameplay, or plain stupid ideas. (lol-werehog) Sonic Unleashed's normal Sonic levels are awesome, even the Tornado game is fun, but the Werehog levels are a HEAVY rip off of God of War and are clunky and slow. Which is why I hated it, because Sonic is about SPEED. Which they are bringing back with this sequal to my FAVORITE game of the series.

The stage they show in the trailers is looking alot like Green Hill zone, which could be good or bad, I don't want a full remake of an old game, I want a new game, with new zones, but with the same feel and speed of Sonic 3/Sonic&Knuckles. Plus, I swear to god, they better have FREE-ROAMING Super Sonic again, I'm getting ticked off at their Super Sonics being locked down to the final levels in these games as of late. Seriously:

Sonic Advance: I never got all the Chaos Emeralds, but I can guarantee it was locked to a special level.
Sonic Advance 2: Special level for Sonic only after collecting all the Chaos Emeralds, only in that final level.
Sonic Advance 3: Same deal pretty much
Sonic Adventure: After beating everyone's story, Super Sonic for Perfect Chaos only.
Sonic Adventure 2(Battle): Same deal, last boss only.

I could go on and on about this, but you see the problem there. What happened to the free roaming Super Sonic of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3? It was awesome just blasting through the levels in full invincibility (beyond pits and getting crushed) as long as your rings lasted. Anyone else feel this way too? Wow, this may have been my longest post ever on all of the ZFGC boards. <_<
  • RPG Empire
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 07:50:50 pm »
It's glad to see we're finally gonna get some old school 2D Sonic action with this. Hopefully they'll pull it off as well as they did with Sonic Rush, even though it won't necessarily be high speed. I'll definitely be looking forward to this.
  • https://colbydude.com

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 07:55:02 pm »
Hey, Faldomar, I agree with you completely. Also, on Sonic Advance 2, you needed to get all 7 special rings in each zone, which was annoying and stupid. What we need is free-roaming Super forms of all characters.

Although I liked SRA's super stage (top-down shooter, it was fun)

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 07:56:39 pm »
Hey, Faldomar, I agree with you completely. Also, on Sonic Advance 2, you needed to get all 7 special rings in each zone, which was annoying and stupid. What we need is free-roaming Super forms of all characters.

Although I liked SRA's super stage (top-down shooter, it was fun)

Oh yeah, forgot about those stupid rings, I spent hours looking for them... I agree with the Super Forms of all characters.
Super Sonic... Hyper Sonic... Super Tails, Hyper Knuckles. Ahh... awesomeness. :P
  • RPG Empire

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:56:47 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
Hopefully they can emulate the "high-speed" sequences in 2D as well as they did in the Sonic Adventure games... Still pretty excited to see Sega taking sonic back to his roots.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 07:57:59 pm »
Or the unofficial names. Turbo Tails, Kaiser Knuckles. Alliteration is fun.

I'm excited too, DJ.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 09:01:51 pm »
I was just going to make a post on this. Haha :P
This is looking like it will be the best Sonic game in a long time. Mainly because a majority of the 3D ones sucked balls due to poor gameplay, boring gameplay, or plain stupid ideas. (lol-werehog) Sonic Unleashed's normal Sonic levels are awesome, even the Tornado game is fun, but the Werehog levels are a HEAVY rip off of God of War and are clunky and slow. Which is why I hated it, because Sonic is about SPEED. Which they are bringing back with this sequal to my FAVORITE game of the series.

The stage they show in the trailers is looking alot like Green Hill zone, which could be good or bad, I don't want a full remake of an old game, I want a new game, with new zones, but with the same feel and speed of Sonic 3/Sonic&Knuckles. Plus, I swear to god, they better have FREE-ROAMING Super Sonic again, I'm getting ticked off at their Super Sonics being locked down to the final levels in these games as of late. Seriously:

Sonic Advance: I never got all the Chaos Emeralds, but I can guarantee it was locked to a special level.
Sonic Advance 2: Special level for Sonic only after collecting all the Chaos Emeralds, only in that final level.
Sonic Advance 3: Same deal pretty much
Sonic Adventure: After beating everyone's story, Super Sonic for Perfect Chaos only.
Sonic Adventure 2(Battle): Same deal, last boss only.

I could go on and on about this, but you see the problem there. What happened to the free roaming Super Sonic of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3? It was awesome just blasting through the levels in full invincibility (beyond pits and getting crushed) as long as your rings lasted. Anyone else feel this way too? Wow, this may have been my longest post ever on all of the ZFGC boards. <_<
lol Longpostislong XD

Good points (although I really liked Sonic Unleashed for what it was, a huge improvement over everything, and really didn't mind the Werehog levels (tornado stages can rot in hell though)), and that's exactly it, we've been missing out on a lot of different things that made sonic sonic in the first place, getting all 7 chaos emeralds and transforming into super sonic, free roaming huge levels with multiple paths, and a little bit of platforming and exploration. That last one especially, my favorite Sonic game is Sonic CD (lots of reasons, music, level design) which had a lot of exploration, platforming combined with speed use, even Sonic 3 was the same way, speed, exploration, platforming, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic 2... etc.

Hopefully they'll do this right... just hoping they will.

Or the unofficial names. Turbo Tails, Kaiser Knuckles. Alliteration is fun.

I'm excited too, DJ.

lol I want some TURBO TAILZ!!!!!!!!

• JetDesigns

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 09:11:41 pm »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
Well they should have made this a looong time ago, hopefully they make it better, sonic was dying due to some games that ruin him in the first place.
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 12:22:23 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm pretty much seeing the same type of posts that came when they announced Sonic Unleashed... It was praised for it's classic style gameplay (which it lacked <_<), amongst other things.

I'm skeptical to even come close to getting my hopes up for one major reason- they're adding functionality for waggle controls. That's a liberty that just about ruins the retro dynamic for me. If I do get it, it'll be the 360 version to avoid the waggle.

Either way; I'll wait and see. I would love a classic sonic again.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 07:14:09 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
I'm skeptical to even come close to getting my hopes up for one major reason- they're adding functionality for waggle controls. That's a liberty that just about ruins the retro dynamic for me. If I do get it, it'll be the 360 version to avoid the waggle.

Either way; I'll wait and see. I would love a classic sonic again.

Pretty much this is all I have to say, aside from a few other things. Though I'm betting the waggle will be for bonus stages.

As for the game itself... Can't tell too much. It looked pretty good, but I have some grips already.

First is homing attack. Why Sega? What's the use in it? It kills momentum, which classic Sonic was about.

Second, his running animation. Are they seriously not going to go for the classic "spinning feet/legs" animation? I hope to god that's in the final product.

Third is that the gameplay (from the few seconds we seen) looks pretty stiff. Seems you jump, can use homing attack then get pulled right to the ground, but I guess the running animation doesn't help that at all, it'll probably look better with a proper animation.

Fourth... Eggman? REALLY SEGA? EGGMAN? My god. Why Sega, why would keep the name Eggman in this? His name is Robotnik for gods sake. I don't care if the current gen knows him as Eggman, most of those kids want Silver/Shadow instead of Knuckles for a playable character.

I probably have some other issues, but I really can't remember at this moment.

Now for what I like so far, from what I seen, or rather what I'm not too 'upset' about...

Episodic. Now, this could either be good or bad. It could turn into a common "wait 1 year for another episode" deal, or it could actually work. If I remember correctly, in the Q&A, the guy said the first episode would at least be as long as Sonic 3, which is excellent, and I hope it is.

Next is the actual 2D Sidescrolling gameplay. Finally, my god why did it take them so long. Though it looks too much like Sonic Rush for console (not really a bad thing I suppose, Sonic Rush wasn't that bad).

Sonic's design. Now I'm not that big of a fan of the current gen Sonic's design, but it's not a bad thing as well. It's good, but classic Sonic is just much better. He looked weird in the trailer, but on the website, his model actually looks pretty cool. We'll have to wait for more I suppose.

I can't wait to find out what that 'secret' 4th platform is. /v/ 'found' an image that was apparently taken down right after that said it was coming to iphone as well, but, that's /v/ for you. I doubt it though. A lot of people keep spouting out Dreamcast 2, which would be a gigantic shock, though would work well in a debut at E3 this year. I kind of hope it is. I also hope it's Steam, or just PC in general, I'd love for it to be on PC.

I seen someone mention in this thread about the first stage looking like Green Hill Zone. Wally told me that it's actually called Splash Hill Zone, since they can't really make another Green Hill... since well... it already exists and this takes place in a new area if I recall.

Anyways, looking forward to it, but not putting much anticipation into it.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 06:27:33 pm »

ha, now an official site for the game, nice looking... but the systems seem... interesting...
(??? = PC? Steam? etc... or something else...? nah, probably just PC or steam)

• JetDesigns
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 06:44:30 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine

ha, now an official site for the game, nice looking... but the systems seem... interesting...
(??? = PC? Steam? etc... or something else...? nah, probably just PC or steam)

Or possibly either DS or PSP? Or DS2, I seem to remember Iwata said something about it recently, so It could fit, although the summer release makes it unlikely.

Personally this game has my hopes up. I know everyone says thats the sonic cycle but seeing as this one is being called Sonic4, I think we have more of a reason to this time...

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 08:05:39 pm »
  • .越//
i hoped for a good classic sonic with the teaser now the trailer wants to take the same feel but the did it 3d -.- i like the shown level but neither the 3d sonic or the *cloud cloud cloud* effects are nice and then: episodes? well, hello? but i understand that they have to do episodes for full 3d games to maintain the quality... but a sidescrolling game like sonic? smells like moneymakers

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 08:16:07 pm »
fourth platform is iphone, according to which used to be located at http://www2.sega.com/sonic4/assets/promo1.png according to Sonic Retro. Could be wrong but who knows?

Not incredibly interested in this, considering I was never a big fan of the classic Sonic games. It's interesting how every ounce of information released on this title has caused Sonic fans to freak out and make loads of assumptions (such as a redesign of Sonic to be more like his old classic self), that will only lead to dissapointment.
  • Google Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 11:20:54 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
fourth platform is iphone, according to which used to be located at http://www2.sega.com/sonic4/assets/promo1.png according to Sonic Retro. Could be wrong but who knows.

Well, that was 'discovered' on /v/ a little after the site went live (too many sites are claiming they found it, unfortunately), so the legitimacy of it is really hard to believe. Especially when the one person posted it, and absolutely no one else got to the link 'in time' to see it. Right after he posted it, it was apparently taken down and 404'd.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 11:55:18 am »
fourth platform is iphone, according to which used to be located at http://www2.sega.com/sonic4/assets/promo1.png according to Sonic Retro. Could be wrong but who knows.

Well, that was 'discovered' on /v/ a little after the site went live (too many sites are claiming they found it, unfortunately), so the legitimacy of it is really hard to believe. Especially when the one person posted it, and absolutely no one else got to the link 'in time' to see it. Right after he posted it, it was apparently taken down and 404'd.
perhaps they're having second thoughts on releasing it for iphone. I would be too, IMO not a good platform to play these sorts of games.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 74 queries.

anything