Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Link Push & Pull [Not Done]  (Read 2606 times)

Link Push & Pull [Not Done]
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:48:37 pm »
This is not yet finalized but overall it is mostly completed. Essentially pushing is nothing new and was integrated with the primary collision object I had shown earlier. Pulling however is something different entirely. The code in the download is at this point unimportant as it has not yet been made more efficient. Actually as mentioned most of the code is done; with simple additions I'd be able to do Link straining when pulling, Link switching to pushing if he is in the pull state and moving towards the pull object, etc. The foundation of pulling is that if Link is in the pull state, there must be a pull object.

I NEED SPRITES; I said that big so that the rest of these words won't confuse that. Currently Link's pushing is messed up; when he is pushing while straining, his push animation is different from when he is not straining. The strained image just doesn't go over his face. And also I need all of Link's pulling animations.

So in short, the code is mostly fine, but I need the complete animations for Link pushing and pulling while straining and not strained. The attachment contains the GMK file of what is currently there, the image below shows Link pulling an object with an incorrect animation.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:00:12 am by 4Sword »
Re: Link Push & Pull [Not Done, Need Sprites]
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 07:59:19 am »
I haven't taken a look at the pulling, but these are the sprites I had ripped for it. Both pushing and pulling are aligned to 32x32 and 16x16 grids.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:29:24 am »
Ah, thanks. I just finished up the animations for Link pulling left/right non-strained. Took forever to do because of a myriad of steps I had to go through, but overall it looks good in Game Maker. I am being a little nit-picky over the completeness of the animation because I am also going to go in afterwards and try to add the smoke to Link's rolling and the "perspiration" to Link's straining.

Oh, and as for the code itself, the movement of pulling is separate from how the move_x/move_y collision movement is based because a block can only be pulled if the space Link has to move to is free. There are errors in the code I found; like me forgetting to check to see if the place is free before moving Link to the block when grabbing, forgetting to set the circle and triangle corners to have a parObstacle parent, and altering the moving == 1 and moving == 2 part of the step to not include setting the blink to 0 which I erroneously thought could be completely handled in the LinkNormal state. And as mentioned earlier, I still have to go through the code and clean it up in terms of efficiency; the drawing portion of the pull state code has to make and does do corrections to see if it is actually trying to move in the direction of pulling.

But yeah, thanks again for the animations, especially the down facing one because that would be a !@#$% to rip.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:58:59 pm »
Update:

I finished assembling the sprites for Link pulling when not strained and arranged them onto a sprite sheet. In the sub-images, Link's shadow is put in there for orienting him correctly in a game; in the GMK I am working on the shadow is removed.

The straining overlay images which go over Link pulling seem to be over the same pulling animation, so I should have the strained images over Link applied in the GMK hopefully by the end of the day.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 09:11:40 pm »
Game Maker 8 makes me sad.

Seriously, I hate GM8, can I get a GM7 file on that?
Re: Link Push & Pull [Not Done]
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 09:31:24 pm »
I guess I could put out GM7 versions of stuff I make later, the push/pull stuff isn't done though. I have the animations mostly done, but I am currently going through complications with putting push and pull together. What is so bad about GM8 though, it isn't like I am using the Pro features of it.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 12:03:04 am »
I guess I could put out GM7 versions of stuff I make later, the push/pull stuff isn't done though. I have the animations mostly done, but I am currently going through complications with putting push and pull together. What is so bad about GM8 though, it isn't like I am using the Pro features of it.
1-I don't want to have to pay ANOTHER $20 to get Pro on that.
2-There aren't many new features and the ones that were added are pretty useless, and I don't like the new look, so it's not worth the new look for the new features.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:53:40 am »
2-There aren't many new features and the ones that were added are pretty useless, and I don't like the new look, so it's not worth the new look for the new features.
1) If you have bought GM7 Pro less than a year before GM8's release, then your purchase also counts for GM8 pro. Besides the engine is build to work with the Lite versions, which is free.

2) The most important update in GM8 is that it supports an alpha channel for sprites, which greatly reduces size of the file. Resources are the things that make up the bulk of the data in any game. GM8 also has some other improvements. There are also some disadvantages to GM8, like importing/exporting stuff and constants are now Pro only.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 12:19:11 pm »
1) If you have bought GM7 Pro less than a year before GM8's release, then your purchase also counts for GM8 pro. Besides the engine is build to work with the Lite versions, which is free.

2) The most important update in GM8 is that it supports an alpha channel for sprites, which greatly reduces size of the file. Resources are the things that make up the bulk of the data in any game. GM8 also has some other improvements. There are also some disadvantages to GM8, like importing/exporting stuff and constants are now Pro only.
1-I've been using GM for two years, I don't get it free

2-Alpha channel? What is that? Does it have to do with image_alpha? If so, I hardly use that.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 02:49:39 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
2) The most important update in GM8 is that it supports an alpha channel for sprites, which greatly reduces size of the file.

>_>
*vomits uncontrollable*

Addition of the alpha channel will increase the file size because you're adding another bit to each pixel.  A transparent portion of an image does NOT mean that there's no pixel there.  It just looks like this: 0,0,0,255 as opposed to something like 43,55,32,0
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 02:54:33 am by MG-Zero »

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 54 queries.

anything