Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Recruiting] coder for OoT nes :3!  (Read 8860 times)

[Recruiting] coder for OoT nes :3!
« on: December 03, 2010, 11:00:01 pm »
Hello, I am asking help to make a fast nes zelda game, it will contain everything you see in zelda1, just a different story different map, different dungeons, I really doubt it should be hard for any good coder to do so, the idea is a really interesting one, make Ocarina of Time in a 2d retro format, of course I will have to delete most features you see on the 3d version (no hookshot, no slingshot, no tunics, etc,etc) the idea in here is to remake OoT using the same limitations the nes has, same sprites, same tiles, just a different story.

The game should be made really fast, most of the job would be mapping the Hyrule and the dungeons, coding wise will just require enemies to move and shoot in random direction, and bosses that will act the same as in the original nes, and add text box(since zelda1 doesn't contain textbox on the overworld.)

If no one is interested I would like to get help finding a program that allows me to edit 100% the nes rom and make from that OoT nes!

Antidote

>.>
Re: [Recruiting] coder for OoT nes :3!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:40:35 pm »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
This is a rather large undertaking, however i don't think it will work the way you expect.

Doing this would be like putting an engine from a race car into a geometro, however I wish you luck.
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 02:29:43 am »
  • b e p i s
This is a rather large undertaking, however i don't think it will work the way you expect.

Doing this would be like putting an engine from a race car into a geometro, however I wish you luck.

Funny you should mention that:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lounge/1042924-ls1-geo-metro.html

(no, it's not really a racecar engine, but it's a strong V8)
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 02:41:30 am »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
Bet it rattles the hell out of that frame xD

But this proves my point, it's difficult, but possible. He's going to need to work around ALOT of limitations.
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 02:44:59 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I think it's going too retro "for the sake of being retro". You're going to strip almost every element out of OoT that makes it what it is; including present/future, and basically just going to replace the startup text. That's really all you can do to make anything remotely similar between the two games :\

You can't have character dialog unless you're in a cave, you're limited to a small overworld, and your items are pretty much unrelated to OoT's game progression.

It just won't work :P
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 04:53:26 am »
I understand what you mean, but I beleive it's possible, the only feature to be added would be text on the overworld, of course I will remove all npcs on the overworld, kakariko village will be removed, hyrule castle will just be a cave entrance. for the sword it will just be a cave entrance with the master sword inside. lon lon ranch will be just one map with tons of octorock and a cave entrance, when you enter you will see a guy saying that he has a ranch of octorok..

The important part of this game should be the story, that is to give the same story as OoT using those limitations, if I have to remove npcs, redesign the dungeons or remove items from the original OoT is fine in here, as long as the story is intact and portrayed in a good way.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 05:49:27 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
kakariko village will be removed
Well there's 2 story-building dungeons you won't have to spend time designing :)
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 06:44:35 am »
Hmmm, by removing NPCs you remove about 95% of the story. NPCs are the primary means of relaying the story to the player. But if you are looking for a quick nes style engine, you might want to look into Zelda Classic. Although it will not offer everything you want.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 08:18:48 am »
Yeh I think you will need to think hard on this kren. Some items make the game more fun, the NPCs keep the story true not to mention how you got Epona.

Think long and hard about this.

• Phoenix Heart
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 12:19:21 pm »
Yeh I think you will need to think hard on this kren. Some items make the game more fun, the NPCs keep the story true not to mention how you got Epona.

Think long and hard about this.

True, think about Majoras Mask (i know it's not the same game but bear with me :P), most of the entire plot-line is based around NPCs- how you get masks, the bombers notebook, for other items and things (like the goron races- you get the strongest sword from the item from that game, if there were no goron NPCs, hov would you get it, find it in a chest? a bit unimaginative :-\ )- without NPCs, the game would become soon boring.. you NEED them! XD
I'll add one of these later.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 01:15:17 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
My primary fear is that the game will look and feel like one of those Chinese pirated carts :P like Final Fantasy 7 NES and such :s
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC-ervoOpAM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC-ervoOpAM</a>
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:56:52 pm by Mamoruアニメ »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 03:04:12 pm »
My primary fear is that the game will look and feel like one of those Chinese pirated carts :P like Final Fantasy 7 NES and such :s
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC-ervoOpAM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC-ervoOpAM</a>

Exactly, especially as it could be like this

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LplytE0UaY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LplytE0UaY</a>
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 03:17:42 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

Exactly, especially as it could be like this

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LplytE0UaY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LplytE0UaY</a>

No it couldn't... That's not an actual NES rom. Samples are too high quality and graphics are mixmatched in quality. The one I posted is an actual carted game for the NES.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 03:22:31 pm »
Opps my bad. Apologies.

Though to be fair, it shows the balance between how true you want to keep to NES. One shows true NES and it's terrible.

(Btw, how would you even make a carted NES game. Aren't all the rom hacks these days post-NES?)
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 03:40:48 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Opps my bad. Apologies.

Though to be fair, it shows the balance between how true you want to keep to NES. One shows true NES and it's terrible.

(Btw, how would you even make a carted NES game. Aren't all the rom hacks these days post-NES?)

You can port a rom to a cart much the same as you can burn files to a disc :\ It's not like it became impossible after the system became obsolete :P

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »
Opps my bad. Apologies.

You can port a rom to a cart much the same as you can burn files to a disc :\ It's not like it became impossible after the system became obsolete :P

Imagine if that happened. Poor OOT :(

Never knew about the rom to cart thing. Learn something new everyday
  • Phoenix Heart

cgmHDblog

CGMHD
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 04:26:53 pm »
OOT to SNES format is one thing... NES? Way too many limitations. I don't like the idea. I don't know how much you could edit the NES Zelda via code but all I have to say is there are some things you just can't take out.
  • Classic Game Music HD
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 04:49:02 pm »
Removing villages and such that you need in the game. This isn't OoT, it's going to suck. Sorry but there really is no doubt about it, you will !@#$% the OoT name, this has to  be a joke topic

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 05:36:45 pm »
>_< ! I am really thinking of making it, as a parody or as a serious game I really don't care if it ends looking as one of those chinese pirated cart, I find it really doable. and no removing kakariko doesn't mean that I will remove the dungeons.. I will post a mockup later.
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 07:02:09 pm »
No slingshot
No Hookshot
No Tunics

Thats gonna require changing a lot of the puzzles in dungeons, No kakariko village means you will already have to change where heart pieces and a bottle are, where the song of storms is, and the well with the lens of truth. No castle town means you have to change heart pieces, where zelda is in general, since her child zelda part takes place in the castle.

Even with all these limitations, honestly how do you think this is a good idea? You will do OoT a horrible injustice.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.56 seconds with 74 queries.