Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Revise] Dirus The Abductor  (Read 7830 times)

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
[Revise] Dirus The Abductor
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:24:06 pm »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
Name:
Dirus of The Dark
Miscetis of shadows

Hidden passage in an abandon graveyard(which may possiblely lead to a dark like dungeon.)
The monster lurks in the old road ways to this dungeon, appears at night and or in temple.

Appearance:
A tall figure, eveloped in shadow. Has a gleaming scarlet red eye. It moves very slow, but swift to grab it's victims.  It's resembles a normal being, however, it is a bit tall and slender looking.

HP:
Invincble -  until you make it to shadow temple mini boss room
(Explosives can make this thing go away for a breif amount of time, there will be bomb flowers on the path that this monster roams.)
After the dungeon has been conquered, the monster vanishes making the path safe to venture on.

The monster ONLY appears at night. However, it is always around in the Shadow Temple

Description
The humaniod figure is of it's kind, only one they say. It remains in the most darkest, erie places on the plant.  However, Link encounters this being while he makes his way to the Shadow Temple. Within the dungeon, the being attempts to attack Link, but it is always fleeing when in the presents of light. Dirus will become the mini boss of the dungeon, defeating it requires the use of light puzzles in the spacious room, at this point Dirus is even more vicious, and much faster then before, but it's fear of light will only stun it. After its defeat, it vanishes for good, which will make Link exploration a bit easier.

Its very present within an area strikes fear in every living thing(undead instantly die whenever it is around.)

Fighting Dirus
The battle with Dirus will be a bit difficult. He cannot be harmed by your attacks, nor can be be hit by your projectiles. After scouting out the room while running away, you will see switches and unlit torches scattered around the room. At the center lies a pedestal with a small caged chest and a bloodily floor, marking the area where Dirus was apparently executed.

Dirus can still be stun by your bomb explosions and any other light igniting items. So using a bomb+arrow combination is a must. If you run out, there will be bushes dropping both items.

In order to halt Dirus in his place, you must press the 6 switches in the room(with least torches in the room, the switches may trigger traps like holes in the ground.), doing so will light up the torches freezing Dirus, being in so must pain, your sword swing can damage him now. After the lights go off, and he recovers, he destroys a torch and continues his chase. The least amount of torches, the more effort the player must do to bring Dirus into its light by luring it. Once Dirus is defeated, Dirus slowly moves towards the center, and starts to fade, out of nowhere, ghosts of the ones he has killed surrounds him, including the one Shiekah who was sent to execute him within this very room. The Sheikah Warrior impales Dirus with his axe, which has put the beast to rest. The ghostly warrior told Link about the Origin of Dirus and gave his theory of how he became that way, he also pointed out that his fellow warrior went mad due to Dirus and his also killing aimlessly within the temple and if the player were to confront him, they are to fight him (if the ocarina his in-game with Song of Healing), put him to rest with the song. The warrior and the victims thank you and disappears from the room, causing the old cage to break, revealing the chest.

How the room looks:
It is a vertical/reticular room. It is an old chamber where the wrong doers were imprisoned, and or executed at the center pedestal. The warrior kept his prize within the chest, and planned to use it on the most ruthless criminal, however, after the Dirus event, the warrior was killed, seeing that Dirus in his once human form, cannot be killed.

Dirus' old cell can be found there, and it is mysteriously unlocked after the fight. It contains a small chest with 50 rupees, and writings on the wall.

"I have found my path to immortality by walking withint he path of darkness, and with it I plan to use my power to get my revenge upon the Royal Family. But this power I have found is unstable during the day, however, at night..."

"They watched my family die, they watched my brothers and sisters die, and yet they send my people out to do their dirty work... They must pay. I will show no mercy to the Royal Family, and no mercy to it's King."

"I have used my power to slay many, which it has cause me to go corrupted. My Shiekah brothens rejected me, and jailed me here so I may await for my execution, the fools."

"And now my own people betrayed me... I... I will slay everyone, and bring this place to it's very foundation! When I escape from this place ALL WILL PERISH!"

"This power is so overwhelming, I feel as though I may lose my very being if I let it overcome me..."

"My.. My mind.. is gone, I am nothing... but a shall to this.... power... I.... I.. have no regrets, I shall let...  let it consume me..."

On his day of his exicution, Dirus was speechless, let alone in a vegetable like state, when the Sheikah warrios attempted to behead him, the axe only ripped a small bit of his flesh, as his black blood drips to the floor, Dirus reawakens, forming into a monster like figure and started to kill and consume all that are within the temple.

In-Game Description

There is a myth about a beast that take anyone or anything to another dimension, but you know, stories are just stories...

Attack List

Take Away: An instant Game Over. Similar to the Wallmaster, however, this figure emerges from the walls in really dark areas. If the player were to be attacked by it, there must rapidly tap the action button to escape, if not, the player is taken away and their HP instantly goes to 0. During the mini boss sequence, it will be faster and when it gets a hold of you, you will need to tap the action button faster to avoid a swift abduction.

Trait-Fear: Due to its erie present, some enemies may flee from the area. When it moans, it is calm and erie. It's affect on the player is similar to a redead stun, however, this happens when it makes its presents known in the area by sound.

Weakness:
Can only be hurt by Light and light bidding puzzles during mini boss sequence, the reason for the puzzles very existence in the past the locales made them in scare off the dark figure up until they were taken and apparently kill, devoured, who knows what the locales in the area fate were in the past.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:58:51 pm by Linkwolf48 »
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/

thestig

Re: [SunbMisson] Dirus The Abductor(nevermind re...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:28:34 pm »
You don't have to remove this submission because this board is for the GAME DESIGN portion, and not the CONCEPT ART portion of the enemy! Don't sweat it man. ;p

So it's a humanoid figure, but the location doesn't jive. Darkest, deepest corner of the planet? Can you elaborate more on this? We want you to define locations this enemy can be found in the game. Please refer to this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BDpuoYwYY9lajXuloSWRMeFEp-cb0ybNf4oF-3zeu4w and find the locations / dungeons section.

"Can only be hurt by light" -- meaning the light arrows or light reflected off of the mirror shield?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:34:23 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
You don't have to remove this submission because this board is for the GAME DESIGN portion, and not the CONCEPT ART portion of the enemy! Don't sweat it man. ;p

So it's a humanoid figure, but the location doesn't jive. Darkest, deepest corner of the planet? Can you elaborate more on this? We want you to define locations this enemy can be found in the game. Please refer to this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BDpuoYwYY9lajXuloSWRMeFEp-cb0ybNf4oF-3zeu4w and find the locations / dungeons section.

"Can only be hurt by light" -- meaning the light arrows or light reflected off of the mirror shield?
As I recall we weren't having the mirror shield reflect light, and we don't have light arrows in, so this thing would be indestuctible and invincible.

thestig

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:36:14 pm »
My mistake. :P Good catch. Well then, I suppose that's another point to note.

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:38:46 pm »

I wanted to remove because when I looked at it, I instantly thought,LAME lol.
Ah ok lol, I was mention like the player can encounter one of these while going to a dungeon with dark elements to it.

For example, a cut-scene with moblins fleeing, pushing the player aside. The player will be confused a bit and continue anyway. The monster only will attack the player numerous times, but after the dungeon has been beaten, it disappears.

EDIT:
Well if there are no light arrows, how about using the explosions on bombs to make it go away for a bit? Since explosions do prove some sort of light.  It is invincble, however, the player can make it go away for a bit of time.

Also if it grabs you and you rapdily tap the action button, it will let go and be stun for a bit before attempt to take you again.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:06:24 pm by Linkwolf48 »
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder

1.6 Demo -

Side Projects:

Aero88

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 03:13:09 am »
  • It's just Max.
This could be a cool idea for the miniboss of the Shadow Temple. I like the idea of recurring minibosses, for example, you could fight him in a couple rooms. The first time you ecounter him, you can stun him, but you have to just run away (the room would be set up so that it'd be kind of obvious you have somewhere to run). The second time, you know you can't beat him, so you have to run, but running is slightly more challenging (puzzles), and the third time, you can defeat him due to the room you're in, which has light and some item/feature that allows you to control it, or some other weakness if not light.

I do think the appearance isn't very descriptive, something tall and dark with one crimson eye. I really like Gomess from Majora's Mask, maybe it could look something like that, or the Poe Collector from OOT, but as a boss. Just suggestions, which also aren't particularly creative :p
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 06:04:20 am »
Thank you Linkwolf48 your participation is really appriciated. This submission is kinda similar to HyperRidley's Shadow Guard (http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39562.0) which has already been accepted. Still there are some major questions.

1) Do we even have a day and night cycle. I don't think we have this. Thus it will only appear in dark places.
2) His appearance is really vague and like I told HyperRidley, "Enveloped in shadow with a gleaming scarlett red eye", is practically invisible.
3) Besides "some" enemies running away from it, how can you further identify the enemy.
4) What is does his brief appearance in the light or when he grabs you look like?
5) Invincible enemies aren't really interesting unless it is a means of directing the story, like in "Lufia: Rise of the Sinistrels" when you face Gades for the first time.

I am sensing you were trying to recreate the "flight for the unknown monster's shadow on the wall approaching from around the corner" situation, which often happens in movies. It can make for a really tense moment. If it happens way to often than this tenseness will disappear though and becomes boring. However in a game it is still up to the player to react with fight or flight and when he dies he will just start over. So a player might just want to face the creature just to take a look at him.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 02:47:31 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
1) Do we even have a day and night cycle. I don't think we have this. Thus it will only appear in dark places.

This is planned, yes.  See details on locating the circus throughout Hyrule Field (based on the Lunar Cycle).

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 10:15:45 am »
If there was a shadow temple, the player can use the item inside to defeat it.

Like what Max said, you can encounter this numerous times. While going to the temple, and sometimes inside of the temple. But when you reach the mini boss room we can do something like this:

The after the real shadow temple boss is defeated, the player realize that the door is still locked. Dirus will slowly appear, which will cause a second mini boss fight within the room. Regardless of it's invincibility. The player can use the torch lights and bombs to their advantage. Dirus will then be overwhelm by this tactic, and will it will be stunned and not being able to attack, giving the player a chance to hit it.

How Dirus will fight here, he spawns in the center of the room, his arms will reach out towards you(if he catches you, he will begin to drag you to the center of the room, tap action button to escape it.) His arms going near an explosion or a Torch, he will bring his arms back to itself and try again. While hes arms are extending out, the player can toss bombs to the center, to try to stun Dirus.

After it's defeat, the beast will stand out of the center and stare at you, only to finally vanish away(look how Gnomess and Death Sword are defeated.) Apparently it's defeat has tossed it back into it's own world.
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder

1.6 Demo -

Side Projects:

Aero88

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
Re: [SubMisson] Dirus The Abductor
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 06:44:28 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Hmm, this does sound a lot like a shadow guard. However, maybe this could be like an ultimate version of one? I like placing him in the Shadow Temple as a miniboss. Maybe it could follow Link throughout the Shadow Temple and Link will have to light torches in every room to truly get rid of it or something? Or, to defeat him in a miniboss battle, push him with bombs into a corner and trap him in some sort of...anti-shadow...thing...or something.

I like this idea. I think we should elaborate a little further and/or move this to the Boss section. It's pretty cool.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:41:43 pm »
  • It's just Max.
I agree that this could be a cool mini-boss for the shadow temple, it traps you in particular rooms occasionally and you have to escape, until it traps you in a room where you have the ability to fight it. Then you can defeat it and get the dungeon's item.

Perhaps, if he is the shiekah dungeon's Miniboss, he could look something like a cloaked figure, since you'd get the shadow cloak after defeating him. So he'd look kind of like a dementor? Just an idea, since it was mentioned that the single red eye thing has already been done, in our own game...

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43:58 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
I agree that this could be a cool mini-boss for the shadow temple, it traps you in particular rooms occasionally and you have to escape, until it traps you in a room where you have the ability to fight it. Then you can defeat it and get the dungeon's item.

Perhaps, if he is the shiekah dungeon's Miniboss, he could look something like a cloaked figure, since you'd get the shadow cloak after defeating him. So he'd look kind of like a dementor? Just an idea, since it was mentioned that the single red eye thing has already been done, in our own game...

I agree with this. I think this is a brilliant idea, actually.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »
First of all the OP description is something I have my doubts about. I can see what Star and Max are going for. And it should be great if you can pull it of. But it just isn't put forth in the OP.

But still there are some major point of doubts. First of all what you only see is a shadow on the wall, which means that light is shone upon it, but it is weak against light. Second what do you get to see when the player decides to fight him, before the designated area.

My idea is that with this submission trying to do is giving a creepy ambience/setting/feel that you get in horror movies and books. Which kinda falls flat in a 2D Minish Cap styled game.
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 02:38:55 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Hmm, after I recharge my iPad, I'll try writing up the submission as a mini-boss, slightly altered to make more sense. Unless you or star wants to.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 02:43:17 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Hmm, after I recharge my iPad, I'll try writing up the submission as a mini-boss, slightly altered to make more sense. Unless you or star wants to.

I would, but I think I'm going to focus on making a 7 Deadly Thieves post to compete with TA's :P

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 10:39:22 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
I don't mean to double post but is the general consensus that we "reject" this submission and start a new one in Minibosses?
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 05:42:25 am »
Well, leave it be in case Linkwolf wants to revise it. Maybe it could be still decent.
Re: [Revise] Dirus The Abductor
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 01:08:07 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Agreed with Niek, we'll leave it so Linkwolf can still do anything he wants to it, but yeah, I'm writing up a Miniboss.

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 02:30:30 pm »
Agreed with Niek, we'll leave it so Linkwolf can still do anything he wants to it, but yeah, I'm writing up a Miniboss.

Dirus will now be a mini boss. But the player will not be able to do away with it with a sword, and his attempt to abduct you will be quick so the player must activate all puzzles in the mini boss room in order to rid of the mini boss. How the puzzles will work are timed switches, unlit torches and traps which will slow down type player. The room will be a bit spacious giving the player more room to escape the boss's grasp while activating the torch switches.
So it will be best to use any explosives or light binding items to slow it down or else.

Traps will be
Pits
Small water areas
Blocks
And broke debris
As for the room, ill post an idea of how it would look like.

Other info of Dirus
It was a fallen Shiekah who went rogue, followed by execution.
Old writings in the temple tells the player thatbthe being wasn't killed nor was it alive, being trapped in external darkness.
Dirus abducts his victims, but their fates are unknown, it could have caused the disappearance of the former villagers/Shiekah tribe living there.
The one who attempted to kill Dirus turned due to fear of the newly formed Dirus.
Dirus ghostly is unaware of its own existence nor what it does to its victims it doesn't realize if they are in pain or not, probably consumes captured victims in the process then seeks out more. This could be the cause of undead foes in the area and the death of them when Dirus is around.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:15:43 pm by Linkwolf48 »
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder

1.6 Demo -

Side Projects:

Aero88

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »
Okay, if you want to make it a mini-boss I'll move it to the Mini-bosses board.

Just a reminder, that only the text in the OP is viable for acceptance. If you don't update that than it will never be accepted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 77 queries.