Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Missing design] Day/Night and the Lunar cycle.  (Read 10961 times)

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
Re: [Missing design] Day/Night and the Lunar cyc...
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 05:31:02 pm »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
I personally think that if time plays a major role in the game then it should only be stopped inside houses. It seems reasonable to spend a night running around town, but not very much to spend a night walking circles in someone's house.

Also, I think it could add to the immersion of the game if it sort of pressures you to make the most of each night instead of entering a village and speed-running all of the night quests in the same night. It's much more fun if you can't blitz through it and have to spend each night dedicated to a specific quest.
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 10:44:10 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Seems like a good point, dude.

Whichever way we decide, time-impacted quests will have to keep it in mind. Ie, what if you start a quest available at night, and then it turns into morning? Actually, it probably won't be a problem. We'll just take it as it comes.
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 02:50:50 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
2 options I see in that case:

1. Drop the quest and the player has to restart it.
2. Save the state of the quest and put it on hold until the correct time passes again.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 08:34:56 am »
  • It's just Max.
Seems like something we should consider on a quest by quest basis. We might be worrying about it way more than we have to.
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 03:17:37 pm »
Alright, so I'd say then that Niek's OP does a pretty good job of summing this system up.

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 06:16:33 pm »
Sorry for my late reply, guys.

1) Why, when you use the moon pearl to skip from day to night or reverse, should we have it skip to midnight or noon? Why not sunset or sunrise? It seems like if you wanted it to be night so you used the moon pearl, in most situations, you'd want 12 minutes of night as opposed to the 6 minutes if you warped right into the middle.

Of course, I'm assuming sunrise/sunset are at 6 and 18, but that makes the most sense.
Your assumption is right. Why I put it at midnight and noon, is to make it more rewarding to take the long way around. Because we have a time unit, we can also have events that happen at certain hours. A very good example is Dampe's Gravedigging tour in OOT. That only happened from 9 to 12. So when you used the sun song in the graveyard you would skip to midnight and the tour was over. This made it rewarding to wait for sunset and sunrise instead of rushing to it with the Sun Song.

Here it could be similar, not to mention that you get more time during the night to do night events. Thus patience is then rewarded.

2) Should time be halted only inside buildings, or should it stop when you go into a town as well? OoT at least stopped time when you went inside a town. Which was cool because you could freeze time as the sun was setting and enjoy the twilight lighting for longer :D
Well, I had been pondering whether to let time continue inside buildings. But the reason against it is that buildings can be closed and opened during night and day. Thus when a building would close and Link is still in it, would he be kicked out or be locked in? What about the people that inhabit those buildings. With towns and the overworld this problem does not really exist, because they are always accessible.

Why I still think that time should continue  in towns is because it gives pressure on night time and daytime events. You could save, but you could also restart these events. It just gives a gameplay challenge. And I think stretching the twilight ambiance is kind of a none issue. I don't know how day and night will be done, but I preffer that it is done by a palette swap, with a palette for day and a palette for night, instead of an overlay that gradually becomes more opaque. The best example would be King Mob's Shadowgazer project.
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 08:28:35 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
2) Should time be halted only inside buildings, or should it stop when you go into a town as well? OoT at least stopped time when you went inside a town. Which was cool because you could freeze time as the sun was setting and enjoy the twilight lighting for longer :D
Well, I had been pondering whether to let time continue inside buildings. But the reason against it is that buildings can be closed and opened during night and day. Thus when a building would close and Link is still in it, would he be kicked out or be locked in? What about the people that inhabit those buildings. With towns and the overworld this problem does not really exist, because they are always accessible.

Why I still think that time should continue  in towns is because it gives pressure on night time and daytime events. You could save, but you could also restart these events. It just gives a gameplay challenge. And I think stretching the twilight ambiance is kind of a none issue. I don't know how day and night will be done, but I preffer that it is done by a palette swap, with a palette for day and a palette for night, instead of an overlay that gradually becomes more opaque. The best example would be King Mob's Shadowgazer project.
I more or less agree with this, I'm thinking depending on the building will depend if you get locked in or kicked out like you mentioned, I mean if you were a shop owner you'd most likely close down the shop after making  sure everyones out right? So I guess time could still pass even when your inside buildings/dungeons, I think it'd give a little bit of strategy to it so theres a little bit more thought into what you do. King mob's example with shadowgazer is probably a good idea, it'd give it a more of an amience and make it kinda visually attractive, but not be overly distracting
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 04:46:41 am »
Kami, I think you misunderstood me. I don't think that time should continue inside buildings, because of those reasons. I think that inside buildings time should be halted.
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »
In Majora's Mask, you were kicked out of the shop if you were in passed closing time.  However, time in Majora's Mask was a much more sensitive element and therefore needed things like that to happen.  We don't have that restriction here and so we really don't need time to pass indoors.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 53 queries.

anything