Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime recommendations?  (Read 5468 times)

Anime recommendations?
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:29:02 am »
I exhausted my anime and movie library.  I need something new to watch.  I am looking for anime that is pretty serious(doesn't mean realistic, but serious/deep story plots).  Looking for freely available anime as in youtube since FUNIMATION and a bunch of other companies have anime legally available at the cost of a few commercials.
    To give you an idea of what I enjoy here are animes I really enjoy:
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
A New Mobile Report: Gundam Wing
Turn A Gundam
Code Geass
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
FLCL(yeah, not that serious :P )
Robotech:Macross Saga
Eureka 7
Elfen Lied
Dragon Ball Z
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
(totally not a pattern or anything but continuing onward)
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood(much better)
Trigun(Vashu!!!!)
Tower of Druaga
Xenosaga
Devil May Cry
Mobile Suit Gundam:War in the Pocket
8th MS Team

Can't think of anymore off the top of my head.  I have been itching to watch Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam and Mobile Suit Victory Gundam but they have yet to be released via youtube and I haven't been bothered to order them yet.  I do have a soft spot for mecha anime as they are usually deep in plot with most silly elements tossed out such as Gundam franchise.

Any good suggestions?
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: Anime recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:09:39 am »
  • 笑い男
Oh here we go lol

I like my anime to have a great story, very deep and full of emotion too, and have seen quite a bit of what you have (and too loved them).

You say "robotech", but isn't that some abomination up of what it should actually be? No idea what "macross saga" or anything is with that title, but if you haven't try the real macross Frontier (if you can be bothered, go for watching the macross zero (I think?) OVA first, as it's just 4~6 eps I think it was and I was glad I did watch that first before watching Frontier). I thought macross was some weird space opera like crap (like how I thought gundam was some robot fighting crap, and then very surprised to find seed to be so damn deep and so full of emotion) and it too turned out to be very great.

Have you seen many ghibli films? What do you think of them? If you're not really strange, you may see the magic in them, especially the ones by miyazaki hayao.
There's this director lately, hosoda mamoru, who I'd say is the only other person that could be the next miyazaki hayao.
toki wo kakeru shoujo (The girl that leapt through time) was his first "real" (I'd say) film, and it's very highly rated, and for a VERY good reason (it's damn great), and then his next, summer wars is very good too. I can't recommend them enough (I went to see his latest film the other month in cinemas, ookami kodomo no ame to yuki, which had a different feeling to those other two, leaving me feeling a bit "hmm" at first, but now I'm very troubled that it's pretty much impossible to watch it again until it comes out on dvd or something haha)

I see you have no death note in that last, which was pretty damn entertaining too. Quite code geass like in ways.

Not a really well known anime, but I really liked uchuu no stellvia.

Talking about not so well known stuff either, top wo nerae was, while being rather old and the last ep being quite "wtf happened to this studio?!", I remember it being a pretty good watch. Only 6 eps too.

I also see no evangelion in there either? That has some pretty big philosophical and deep stuff in it, leaving you checking wikipedia about all sorts for hours after haha. Watch the TV series first, then the old film that came out at that time (end of evangelion I think?) that is an alt ending, then the first two "brand" new eva remake films (second one differs in places), then wait years for the 3rd and 4th film (rather different it seems, so no longer just a remake) to come out to watch those too :p
Talking about eva, it's incredibly weird how everything in it does not look one bit old at all. Normally with stuff painting a technological future of any sort, it all seems EXTREMELY old only decades later, yet this has absolutely none of that feeling, at all. Very weird. Eva's a special one.

Going off stuff like elfen lied, but not quite as heart wrenching (my god that was tough to watch :( ), clannad is sublime. The tv series that is, by kyoto animation, not the film by some other company. Kyoto animation are amazing and (maybe were?) one of the best studios out there recently. The other two animes they bring to life from the same people that made the game as clannad, kanon and air are great too, which I'm sure you'll want to see after blasting through clannad and needing more haha.

I quite liked "ef" too. Not seen its sequel(s), and I only cared for one of the stories out of the two it had, but at 12 eps its not a hard watch and rather emotional(ly good).

There are plenty more like this if you end up craving more.

Ah, going with the philosophical like stuff that eva introduces a bit, ghost in the shell is great too if you like that. The first (two) films are more on the philosophical side, and the TV series (SAC, different director and people doing them) are more on the action side, so they have a slightly different feel to them, but are both very good imo.

Of course it all depends on what you like, but I tried to name a few things that not I only personally enjoyed, but really do deserve a watch because of their quality and how many other people seem to rate them, very highly in most cases (anidb.net is a great site to work all this out). I'm not going to recommend someone watch something like naruto, just because I personally love it for whatever absurd reason (I do in fact hate it though lol).

Of course there's wikipedia to get more info on how the stuff I named comes, but if you have any questions about this stuff, or can explain what sort of thing you'd like to watch and why, with what other stuff you saw and why you liked it, then I should be able to help out more there :D lol

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:38:14 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
I haven't watched much in a while but I really enjoyed Madoka Magica. Its short and it's one of my favorites. You should give it a watch!
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
lol, gm, I watched Evangelion and Summer Wars, just didn't remember them off the top of my head.  They were good.  I got through Death Note up until a couple episodes after the memory erase or whatever after the staged hostage incident to get info out of the girl, lost interest after that.

http://www.youtube.com/show/robotechmacrosssaga

Flowed pretty nicely when I watched it, so I must've missed the butchered parts, though I do know what you are talking about.
I also forgot about Area 88, but I think they took it down from youtube even though the company that had the rights to it were the ones who put it up in the first place.

Bit tired right now, but later today, I'll wiki the stuff you mentioned.

• Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 02:30:41 pm »
  • 笑い男
damn that gm lol

Anyway, yeah I too remember death note not being as "intense" from the second half.

If you liked summer wars, check out toki wo kakeru shoujo (the girl that leapt through time) for sure!

As for robotech: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech_(TV_series)
I can't say anything personally, but it sounds like an edited mess. Obviously watching things how they were originally meant to be is generally bound to give you a better experience, but from the looks of things, you only saw the original macross stuff via that? In which case, check out frontier for sure if you have any interest in it at all.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:56:21 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Chobitz.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Miragos

ᚺᚨᛚᛁᚨ᛫ᚹᛁᛊᚨᛞᚨᚢ᛫ᛟᚱᛁᚾᛁᛋ᛫ᚷᚨᛊᛏᛋ
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 10:42:10 pm »
  • 地獄に儚く惑った
It seems you prefer Mecha series, but there aren't any other good Mecha series available at Funimation except those you've already watched.
I don't know which kinds of Anime you like but here are some good ones available at Funimation:

-Steins;Gate
-Mushishi
-Samurai Champloo
-Basilisk
-Chobits
-Claymore
-Shikabane Hime
-Ergo Proxy
-Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Kai)
-Ga-Rei: Zero
-Guilty Crown
-Jigoku Shoujo
-Kaze no Stigma
-Rainbow
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Soul Eater
-Spice & Wolf
-Texhnolyze
-Mirai Nikki
-C

As for MANGAentertainment:
-Ghost in the Shell: SAC
-Chrono Crusade

Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, Jigoku Shoujo (aka. Hell Girl), Claymore and Rainbow are pretty serious.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:49:36 pm by Miragos »
Current project: Vortex of Height
Spriter of: Oracle of Mystery
               The Mask of Sheikah
  • Miragos Project Site
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 01:26:28 am »

Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood(much better)

whaaa Brotherhood suck!

-Steins;Gate
So worth watching :3!

-Mirai Nikki

I loved it yet it got way to boring at the second half, it was such a big dissapointment.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 02:49:33 am »
I'll throw one out.

Baccano!, if I had to pick a "favorite" anime, or show even, Baccano! is probably it.
Funimation has the license and it's available. It's a rush of great characters, multiple plotlines that tie together wonderfully, a fantastic soundtrack, and it's all set in early 1930s America.

It's also an anime I would recommend watching dubbed in English. It's one of the best dubs I've heard. Since it takes place in America, it fits well.

Manly men don't sass. Manly men get in FIGHTS! Fist fights using manly fists!
  • JetDesigns

Miragos

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 03:01:24 am »
  • 地獄に儚く惑った

-Mirai Nikki

I loved it yet it got way to boring at the second half, it was such a big dissapointment.

Agreed. The anime had a lot of potential, but ended up being only a decent series...
Somehow it lost all its suspense and became indeed boring...
Also, they cut out the end of the Manga, which resulted in an frustrating ending. :/

It's also an anime I would recommend watching dubbed in English. It's one of the best dubs I've heard. Since it takes place in America, it fits well.

Good dubs are rare these days. There used to be good ones like this one, Cowboy Bebop's or Black Lagoon's... Latter is also the only English dub which exceeded the original  Japanese one I guess.
However, Funimation usually sucks at dubbing, especially nowadays. What they did to Steins;Gate is just ... shameful.
I don't get why they can't produce any good dub. Even video games like the Tales series have better ones.
               The Mask of Sheikah
  • Miragos Project Site
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 07:44:54 am »
  • 笑い男
Pretty sure a reason as to why something is worth watching is better than a list of your personal favourites >_<

I've not seen it, but steins gate has also grabbed my attention too. I hear it's very good.

I also would never recommend watching any funimation crap, or whatever it is, unless you prefer watching something not in best form by far, being quite mutated to suit people ignorant of the world, that is unless that that's your only choice for whatever reason or you're just extremely lazy and prefer generally terrible dubs to how something is original meant to be viewed, completely wasting half the experience, but in which case I have absolutely no idea why you're going out of your way asking for good stuff to watch in the first place.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Arcaith

Landscape Police
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 11:05:24 am »
  • *ding*
Gungrave
Witch Hunter Robin

I'll also second
Ghost in the Shell
Ergo Proxy
*MooN*
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 09:13:37 pm »
Pretty sure a reason as to why something is worth watching is better than a list of your personal favourites >_<

I've not seen it, but steins gate has also grabbed my attention too. I hear it's very good.

I also would never recommend watching any funimation crap, or whatever it is, unless you prefer watching something not in best form by far, being quite mutated to suit people ignorant of the world, that is unless that that's your only choice for whatever reason or you're just extremely lazy and prefer generally terrible dubs to how something is original meant to be viewed, completely wasting half the experience, but in which case I have absolutely no idea why you're going out of your way asking for good stuff to watch in the first place.

Funimation has been releasing anime in both dubs and subs.  I bought the entire DBZ series on DVD which is still Funimation owned and the DVDs are pretty awesome as I prefer the original English soundtrack and dubs over the Japanese soundtrack and dubs. You can also go with other languages mixed with the soundtrack choices.

As far as Funimation's youtube content, they usually offer both subbed and dubbed versions.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:22:43 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
^^It's not just the dialog that he's referring to.  Things that are culture specific are changed so suit people in this country because we tend to be oblivious to any cultures beside our own.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 05:18:26 am »
  • 笑い男
Yeah, that. Although it's good to hear that they do offer the original with subs though.
I couldn't imagine liking a certain something so much that you watch so much of it and seek out more, only to watch it all in a form that's far from what the original directors intended, generally with the quality largely dragged down in many places.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 06:01:48 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I haven't watched much in a while but I really enjoyed Madoka Magica. Its short and it's one of my favorites. You should give it a watch!

Seconded. I ended up watching this because I tend to like anime that has magic, so the "Magica" part of the name caught my eye.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica is INCREDIBLE. It's dark and very serious, which is not my usual watch, but this is totally an exception. This anime actually surprised me a couple times, which was refreshing.
  • My Music

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 09:09:42 am »
  • I'm Pro!
i will always recommend these 2 anime.

.heck//Sign

and more importantly:

Air Gear (this is free to watch on funimations website)

• Crim is Pro!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 11:32:27 am »
Chi's Sweet Home.

Miragos

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 08:53:48 pm »
  • 地獄に儚く惑った
Seconded. I ended up watching this because I tend to like anime that has magic, so the "Magica" part of the name caught my eye.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica is INCREDIBLE. It's dark and very serious, which is not my usual watch, but this is totally an exception. This anime actually surprised me a couple times, which was refreshing.

Madoka was indeed one of the best animes of 2011; however, later that year, Steins;Gate and Fate/Zero surpassed it. Also, to my knowledge Madoka isn't available at Funimation and the like.
               The Mask of Sheikah
  • Miragos Project Site

Alex

kittens!
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 11:58:58 pm »
  • fishy cakes~
Here is my anime folder.  It's small and runs about 54GB.  I plan on getting more as January is going to be a huge release month :D
  • Personal Blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 75 queries.