Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Well EA has gone senile  (Read 3475 times)

Well EA has gone senile
« on: March 01, 2013, 02:34:36 am »
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-consumers-enjoying-and-embracing-microtransactions-6404525

"We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level, to buy a new characters; to buy a truck or gun or whatever it might be," Jorgensen said. "And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."

Re: Well EA has gone senile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 02:37:18 am »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
That's kind of old news fissure.

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 02:39:58 am »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
Well not the news article, the whole "EA has gone senile" thing
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 02:54:01 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
*siiiigggggh*

I don't even--

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
Re: Well EA went senile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:57:43 am »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
Technically they already went senile a bit ago.

Koh

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 04:36:57 am »
  • Tamer Koh
This actually made my night.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
  • Megaclipse Games

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 04:41:16 am »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
You're welcome dlbrooks :D
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 06:12:55 am »
  • 笑い男
Seems to be a market for it. Obviously EA are in for the money, not to make the world of games a better place.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 06:13:16 am »
In order to fight the final boss, please add 2 dollars to your EA account.

In order to kill the final boss with a required special attack, please add 2 dollars to your EA account.

In order to see the final 5 minute cutscene, please add 5 dollars to your EA account.

To hear John Madden speak in the game, please add 5 dollars.
To unlock the other 16 NFL teams, please add 15 dollars.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 07:45:51 am »
  • I'm Pro!
what is this ea thing everyone speaks of?
  • Crim is Pro!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 10:32:09 am »
That's kind of old news fissure.

Oh them fighting words

[Pay $5 to fight]

[No fight]

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 11:48:27 am »
This would be sort of acceptable if the initial game was free. But that's not gonna happen. They want it both ways.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 05:03:26 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Thank you for purchasing this game! Please add $5 to your EA Account to receive your product code to play!

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 05:09:33 pm »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
Lol now that many has broguht this up, I always think of EA having a pool inthe back of their office fileld with money and just dive in it xD.

Anyway, I am kind of afria of EA doing Pay to play games if they have that in mind. :(
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 05:36:39 pm »
Actually if the games are free to get the basic purchase (or very cheap, or initial demo mode), then this would actually be the same concept as the arcades of the 80's and 90's. But due to inflation you'll be spending a couple of bucks instead of quarters.

But knowing EA they probably charge you full price for initial purchase and then the microtransactions.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 06:43:23 pm »
Actually, this reminds me of the old shareware concept of the early 90s.

Get Episode/Act 1 of many games - Jazz Jackrabbit, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Commander Keen, etc.
If you want the full game, pay for it.

I think it is something that true gamers won't embrace these days, but the casual audience will.  DLC is fine and should remain as it is.  Some of it gets ridiculous, but it still serves the purpose that expansions used to serve.

It's mostly about showing off anymore these days.
"Yo. you get the new maps yet? No?  You suck lolol"
"you have this character downloaded? No? OMG you are missing out lol"

There are few games I own where the DLC has been worth it.  Off the top of my head, Oblivion(Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine).  That DLC added to the actual content of the game.  Map packs, characters, cars, etc. just give the impression of new content.  I have bought map packs for CoD then always felt like a jackass because everyone plays it for like 2 weeks, then go back to the older, better maps.

I dunno, went off on a small soap box.  If people really want to pay to have content unlocked on games, more power to them.  That will change the industry in a way that will make most people about mid 20s and older go "lolwhat?".

I won't support it.  The only EA games I have bought recently(talking past few years) are NHL 09 and Dead Space 1 and 2, Battlefield BC 2...That's it, so they really won't lose much from me if they adapt this policy in the worse way.

Only time will tell.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 10:48:11 pm »
Actually, this reminds me of the old shareware concept of the early 90s.

Get Episode/Act 1 of many games - Jazz Jackrabbit, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Commander Keen, etc.
If you want the full game, pay for it.

I think it is something that true gamers won't embrace these days, but the casual audience will.  DLC is fine and should remain as it is.  Some of it gets ridiculous, but it still serves the purpose that expansions used to serve.

It's mostly about showing off anymore these days.
"Yo. you get the new maps yet? No?  You suck lolol"
"you have this character downloaded? No? OMG you are missing out lol"

There are few games I own where the DLC has been worth it.  Off the top of my head, Oblivion(Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine).  That DLC added to the actual content of the game.  Map packs, characters, cars, etc. just give the impression of new content.  I have bought map packs for CoD then always felt like a jackass because everyone plays it for like 2 weeks, then go back to the older, better maps.

I dunno, went off on a small soap box.  If people really want to pay to have content unlocked on games, more power to them.  That will change the industry in a way that will make most people about mid 20s and older go "lolwhat?".

I won't support it.  The only EA games I have bought recently(talking past few years) are NHL 09 and Dead Space 1 and 2, Battlefield BC 2...That's it, so they really won't lose much from me if they adapt this policy in the worse way.

Only time will tell.

Some companies actually did that in the last few years. Either Fable 2 or Fable 3, let you download the first chapter or whatever to try.

Telltales games also gave away the first chapter of Back To The Future for the PC awhile ago. I think they did a thing with The Walking Dead on the 360 too.

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 12:13:11 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Actually if the games are free to get the basic purchase (or very cheap, or initial demo mode), then this would actually be the same concept as the arcades of the 80's and 90's. But due to inflation you'll be spending a couple of bucks instead of quarters.

The arcades let you play through the entire game (if there was an end) if you're good enough not to die too much. I've never heard of any arcade games making you pay if you successfully make it to the next level. "Oh, congrats! You've completed the first round. Want to play round 2? Put in another quarter!!" Unless I missed something, that kind of thing only happened when you died. So I guess it's similar in some ways, but not really the same as far as I've experienced.

@forshadow: As far as the 90's games go, I always viewed those more as a try before you buy thing, like a demo. But it was different than a demo at first, because - if I remember correctly - you couldn't download the games for free, so you always ended up paying a little to get the shareware game in retail form. In that case, you are right that it is similar. Still, the idea of having microtransactions is a lot more sucky because back in the day when you'd decide to buy a 90's game it would tell you how much it costs to buy it and you knew that if you paid it you would get the full game and you'd get the full experience. But with microtransactions I just haven't seen any game let you know how much it's going to cost you to get the experience you want. There is really no way to tell, which is kind of the main sneakiness of the business really. I personally despise the whole microtransaction system. I think microtransactions are a disgusting business tactic and it makes games stink.
  • My Music
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 70 queries.