Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sword Art Online  (Read 6279 times)

Sword Art Online
« on: July 27, 2013, 05:42:25 pm »
  • ^ Jugglink ^
To anyone who is interested the Anime "Sword Art Online" is coming to America tonight at 2:00 AM. Been waitin on it for awhile, just hoping that they don't screw it up too much. I got lost in the wold of SAO the first time I saw it and STILL seem to be lost in it and I gotta say if they ever made an Actual game like that you better believe I would be there... IT's JUST SO KUOOOL!!  XD XD But anyways anyone who hasn't seen it need to watch it. If you like virtual worlds or just games then this Anime is for you  ;)

Edit: To be Specific it airs on Cartoon Networks Adult Swim (Toonami on Saturdays  XD) at 2:00 A.M. Eastern time, just to let everyone know.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:17:41 pm by Dervilacus »
The First Link, Was A Dark One... The First Zelda, Was Not Royalty... The First Midna, Was Still Torn... And... The Soul Of Ganon, Is Vengeful For A Reason.....
Re: Sword Art Online
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:02:05 am »
I'd just like to say that I have seen this entire series - and its AMAZING! To all who haven't watched it, watch it!
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 04:30:25 pm »
  • ^ Jugglink ^
Just gotta say real quick that although I like being able to listen to whats said rather than read everything, I do believe they plan on "Americanizing" Sword Art Online
I've come to this conclusion because in the First episode they've already changed the words around a little to much (I'm sure little things like that dont bother everyone)
Show content
In the Original Klien says Kirito looks "cuter" as himself in the english version he says that Kirito looks "cooler", also klien seems to act TOO american especially when he says "hellS yeah"...
But other than that my only Real complaint is, In my opinion I'm not sure they picked the right voice for Kirito... anyone agree?

I'd just like to say that I have seen this entire series - and its AMAZING! To all who haven't watched it, watch it!

^^^ Totally ^^^ :) :) :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:37:33 pm by Dervilacus »
The First Link, Was A Dark One... The First Zelda, Was Not Royalty... The First Midna, Was Still Torn... And... The Soul Of Ganon, Is Vengeful For A Reason.....
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:24:10 am »
  • 笑い男
Good old America. The only way is the American one, no other culture can exist
>_>

Obviously that's bollocks lol, but such dubs really do bring out such feelings (and it's almost the complete opposite in places like Japan, where a lot of people cannot get enough of taking a good look at what the west etc offers, although I guess that just makes things worse if that re-enforces the idea of "everyone looks up to us and therefore just needs to cater to us while we all sit back and stubbornly up-hold our random standards, with us not letting anyone in our country be influenced by anything that isn't high on western/american steroids.)

Anyway lol
I only saw the first ep a while back when it first aired but that's it, so only generally know of it and its setting.

And seeing it being called AMAZING (along with its generally pretty great rating), I have to ask, why?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:28:53 am by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 06:53:51 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I saw SAO with English subs a while ago and loved it, especially the first arc. I'm still hoping for a second season, which would come from the rest of the light novels, of course. I'm a big fan of VR anime, except for .heck, which I found to be incredibly dull. SAO is the best VR anime I know of. Accel World could've been really great as well, but I didn't care for the whiny male lead and some other stuff.

I mostly liked SAO because of how people get put into a situation where they have to fight to get out alive. I tend to like that kind of survival drama stuff. Take "Btooom!" for example. I really like that anime (and the manga, that I also like), and it's got that same idea, where people have to fight their way out of a life threatening situation and it has people teaming up and becoming strong and others betraying one another, and it's all pretty intense, and I like the elements of strategic thought.

If I watch it a second time, I'll just watch it subbed again. I've got plenty of American culture, and one of the reasons I watch anime is because I'm interested in Japanese culture.
  • My Music

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:27:18 pm »
  • I'm Pro!
I quite enjoyed it sat night when tooonami aired it. Didn't know it was airing so soon lol. Almost missed it.
But definitely enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll like dot heck more, but that was a good first episode and I want to see more
  • Crim is Pro!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 11:30:17 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
The whole cute vs cool thing is just how the localization team decided to handle it... Taking the scene into context and looking at the original statement (I don't have the original transcript in front of me anymore sorry if I feel more assed too I'll pull it out later lol) the comment is made in a slightly sarcastic kind of "ribbing" way. From what I've been told the character's sexuality is never brought up again past that point and the way the subbers handled it made it seem awkward and out of place. Cool is one way to interpret it and get the same meaning even though the original line definitely 100% did say cute (Used the word かわいい :P)

As for the show itself, it strikes me as .heck// for a younger audience (Or maybe the same audience really but produced later? So technically younger)

Apparently the two stories were written at the same time but .heck// made it through the process first because the author of Sword Art Online didn't care much for his own story

I'll be keeping an eye on it though because I hear it's great fun all the same
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 12:52:23 am »
  • It's the grineer
Yeah, I've seen it during last summer, and I just found this sort of OVAs. They're called Sword Art Offline. It's like a news program remembering things of the game, and stuff. Very funny, actually.
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 06:07:48 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
... Sword Art Offline. It's like a news program remembering things of the game, and stuff. Very funny, actually.

I just realized that there are now 9 of those and I've only seen the first one! Sweet mudder lovin' cupcakes! Gotta watch 'em all!
Btw, Dervilacus, now you've got me watching SAO again. It's good stuff.
  • My Music
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 07:13:18 am »
  • ^ Jugglink ^
Waiting on tonight to watch the 2nd Episode  XD XD

And seeing it being called AMAZING (along with its generally pretty great rating), I have to ask, why?

tight butthole it took me till about the third episode till i really got interested in it
Show content
It's a sad episode where Kirito lies about what his level is , which ends up getting a couple people killed  :'(, and i gotta say that I cried when Rudolph was sung  ;)
. I mean the whole concept of it got me interested initially, but i didn't get Really pulled in until then.

The whole cute vs cool thing is just how the localization team decided to handle it... Taking the scene into context and looking at the original statement (I don't have the original transcript in front of me anymore sorry if I feel more assed too I'll pull it out later lol) the comment is made in a slightly sarcastic kind of "ribbing" way. From what I've been told the character's sexuality is never brought up again past that point and the way the subbers handled it made it seem awkward and out of place. Cool is one way to interpret it and get the same meaning even though the original line definitely 100% did say cute (Used the word かわいい :P)

It's not really a sexuality thing that bothers me, it's just that imo I think that if they change to many words (even little changes) the Anime might lose something later on.
Show content
Like when Kirito and Klien meet back up later, Klien makes the statement "Man that's still buggin him." I thought he was talking about him calling Kirito "cute", But my friend thinks that it's because Kirito wasn't able to take Klien with him. I personally think my idea is a better explanatiun but i didn't write it so what do you all think ?  :huh:

Btw, Dervilacus, now you've got me watching SAO again. It's good stuff.

XD :P You are Very Welcome  8)

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 07:59:43 am »
  • 笑い男

Yeah, with a dictionary, kawaii = cute and that's the end of that, but culture and the way people think/act etc differs on all sorts of sub-conscious levels and with that, the way "cute" is used in the west and the way "kawaii" is used in Japan can differ quiiite a lot. So, I understand why such companies decide to go ahead and change things, just to accommodate to the general american audience. I just don't think it's all that great how that audience, from all sorts of things like this and what not, stop being able to be more open to other realities other than the only one they know of, and then (and because of) things like this just reinforce that that reality is the only one available in life, which of course is far from true.

Just discovered that this: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=8691 is in the same setting apparently too? Interesting.

FrozenFire: Thanks, that was a pretty good description of why one would like it!
Thank you too Dervilacus :p

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 03:05:24 pm »
I watched it subbed as it was airing, and for the most part I quite enjoyed it.
Show content
The second arc did sort of feel tacked on though, it did add to the story but it wasn't the same in the new world.
It's definitely worth a watch though, it was some of the better writing to come out of that season.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 03:18:47 pm »
I liked the first few episodes and some of the occasional episodes later, but the show gets awful. The whole show becomes nothing but a harem for Kirito. Every time a new female character is introduced, it was as if their sole obsession was Kirito. Additionally, the deus-ex-machina stuff is abused to all hell when it comes the two main plot-bosses of the series; well the first time was sort of alright, but the second time, really seemed forced. I liked the first season bosses though and the base of the world tree parts of the second season.
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 06:15:11 pm »
I remember when Digimon was pretty cool VR anime to watch.
I assume VR to stand for virtual reality... though I am probably completely wrong xD.  may have to look into it more >_>

Glanced at some stuff for SOA, not my cup of tea...especially if you guys are saying that it's like .heck for younger people.  I only got into the first .heck videogame(with the included movie) and I thought it was "ok".  The only virtual reality type anime I truly enjoyed was the movie Summer Wars that I watched about 2 years ago or so.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 07:43:53 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
The whole show becomes nothing but a harem for Kirito. Every time a new female character is introduced, it was as if their sole obsession was Kirito.
Sadly, I have to agree on that. I still enjoyed it a lot, regardless. I had watched Accel World previous to watching Sword Art Online, so I expected the suggestive crap with the females, as both animes are from light novels that are written by the same author.

BTW, while I totally think SAO is worth watching, I don't think Accel World is. AW feels like it's for a much younger audience. I went through the entire thing a little over a year ago (?), and I honestly don't know why I stuck with it. I think I just was hoping it would get better. I really liked the idea of VR (@ TFS: Yep, that means "Virtual Reality").

Glanced at some stuff for SAO, not my cup of tea...especially if you guys are saying that it's like .heck for younger people.
SAO moves at a faster pace than any .heck series I've seen and the plot makes much more of an involved use of MMORPG/RPG elements than .heck does, which is one of the reasons why I enjoy SAO so much, because it really feels like they are in a virtual RPG world. I wouldn't say it's like .heck for younger people, but I would say it's aimed more at people who enjoy MMORPGs/RPGs. If I were you, I'd watch the first 3 episodes before deciding. Why the first 3? Because the first two episodes introduce a lot of things, getting the viewer to know the setting and important characters, and the third will kind of help you know what to expect from later episodes, so if you still didn't like it after that, then yes, it's not for you.
  • My Music
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 04:12:34 pm »
If you want REAL VR:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wvWuGBLMA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wvWuGBLMA</a>
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 01:51:51 am »
  • I'm Pro!
lulz, i was wondering why you guys kept saying dot heck... i just realized i spelt it wrong and caused it haha.

edit: no i didn't do it first lol, someone must have changed mine :P
  • Crim is Pro!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 10:27:37 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
lulz, i was wondering why you guys kept saying dot heck... i just realized i spelt it wrong and caused it haha.

edit: no i didn't do it first lol, someone must have changed mine :P

I once looked a bit noobish when I didn't know what was going on when people were talking about "h a c k i n g" and stuff and it came out to look like "hecking". But I found out the cause so I'll explain: ".heck" and ".heck". Both those words will be saying ".heck" unless you check the box in your settings "leave words uncensored". I don't know why "h a c k" needs censoring though, and why it converts it to "heck" instead of "!@#$%" is also probably why it can be confusing, because if I say "!@#$% !@#$%", then it's going to censor that completely different, so you'd expect anything censored to do the same... makes no sense to me why this is, but yeah, that's what's going on.

@ TFS: Never heard of V.R. Troopers, but it stars a guy with the last name "Bacon"... I must watch it now.
  • My Music
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 04:57:54 pm »
  • ^ Jugglink ^
Well Ep 3 Aired last night, one of the sad episodes... I actually got chocked up a bit when Kirito and Sachi were talking under the bridge (mostly because I already knew what was going to happen). But the dub So Far doesn't seem to bad, Or i guess i should say that so far they haven't made a mockery of the story yet (intentional or not :) ) nor have any of the voices been to far off to Enjoy it in English (Example: When Fairy Tales switched voice actors (around Ep 50 or so) the voices they chose were So far off for most of the characters that I just couldn't bring myself to finish it :( , but my buddy is getting me the sub so  XD )

@TFS - is there a part in V.R.Troopers where a guy
Show content
just randomly makes a gun out of chicken bones?
I can't remember if that was the same VR movie or not... but if not do you know which one i'm talking about

AND I just found out that GGO (Gun Gale Online) has been announced to be made into Anime (i haven't read the manga of it, but then again I didn't even know about it until last night)
Show content
Apparently Kirito's game character gets turned into a girl, not sure if by choice or by glitch though...
, it looks... Interesting, in it's own way.

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 09:30:14 pm »
  • I'm Pro!
after a few more weeks of watching on toonami, i still like it. really dont want to wait weekly, but whatever. definitely like it.
  • Crim is Pro!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.845 seconds with 74 queries.