Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 19114 times)

Re: Smoking
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2006, 03:44:48 am »
  • Huzzowee!
WTF does it do for you? Nothing. No buzz, no benifits, it just harms you. I'd rather see people smokin pot, at least it does something for them. Plus there's less chemicals in it.
The problem with marijuana is that the toxins that wind up entering your bloodstream are actually oil-based, whereas your blood is water-based. So, the toxins don't dissolve and eject like normal. They sort of ride around inside you, causing detrimental effects on your brain, for a long time. A month or two I believe. All that time, it's affecting your health and your brain. That's why pots gives you memory problems, and why it can be hard to remember things even after the high is long gone.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2006, 06:31:22 pm »
  • Lul
Helping someone to take suicide is illegal (duh <___<). Smoking and all of that stuff should be banned.

Then so should Soda, fast food, knives, broken glass, drain cleaner, razors. Hell anything that can be harmful to someone's body should be banned. Whats next, are you going to ban rope because people use it to hang them self's with. If someone wants to smoke they have the right to do what they god damn please.

You could take suicide with anything, I didn't mean it literally :P. Things that contain dangerous chemicals etc shouldn't be a thing you can find on the market, that's what I mean. 
Man, I should stop saying things I don't mean literally, many people have misunderstood me recently :P

Limey

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2006, 07:37:50 pm »
Helping someone to take suicide is illegal (duh <___<). Smoking and all of that stuff should be banned.

Then so should Soda, fast food, knives, broken glass, drain cleaner, razors. Hell anything that can be harmful to someone's body should be banned. Whats next, are you going to ban rope because people use it to hang them self's with. If someone wants to smoke they have the right to do what they god damn please.

You could take suicide with anything, I didn't mean it literally :P. Things that contain dangerous chemicals etc shouldn't be a thing you can find on the market, that's what I mean. 
Man, I should stop saying things I don't mean literally, many people have misunderstood me recently :P

Then they would have to ban alchohol, every single cleaning solution, lighter fluid, gasoline for cars... Its saying everything 'dangerous' is still way to vauge.

2awesome4apossum

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2006, 02:17:21 am »

Then they would have to ban alchohol, every single cleaning solution, lighter fluid, gasoline for cars... Its saying everything 'dangerous' is still way to vauge.
Just because something is unrealistic, doesn't mean that it wouldn't make the world a better place.

In example:

I'd love it if we didn't have to go into Iraq!  Unfortunately there would be negative consequences either way, so we had to choose a realistic one.

Pyru

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2006, 08:50:07 am »

How about everything dangerous with no possible helpful applications? Cigarettes don't have any of those.

2awesome4apossum

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2006, 05:51:00 pm »
How about everything dangerous with no possible helpful applications? Cigarettes don't have any of those.
You know, I had never thought of it that way.  Because alcohol certainly has other uses than getting drunk, so does soda, so does candy and everything.

Now the question is that if we were to ban it, how would we go about doing so?  I mean, no doubt it's addicting and would prove difficult.
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2006, 06:39:51 pm »
  • Huzzowee!
Two things that I think are important to remember are:
1) If you ban something people are addicted too, they WILL be angry and they may become irrational and/or violent in their withdrawal.

and

2) Just because you ban something doesn't make it dissappear. People will still grow and buy tobacco in the same way they do with pot. Pot is smoked as much or more than cigarettes are at my school. It's not that hard to get, and tobacco wouldn't be all that different. Add on the fact that very few countries will have banned tobacco, it would become very easy to smuggle it over borders. Just hop a plane to another country, go to a store, buy them and then come back.

Outright banning may actually cause more problems than tactful weening off of cigarettes.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539

Pyru

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2006, 08:05:56 pm »
You know, I had never thought of it that way.  Because alcohol certainly has other uses than getting drunk, so does soda, so does candy and everything.

Now the question is that if we were to ban it, how would we go about doing so?  I mean, no doubt it's addicting and would prove difficult.

Alcohol has tons of helpful applications. It's also healthy to drink alcohol in moderation; it also provides a drink, energy, etc. For non-consumption usess, it's a disinfectant, cleaner, and can be used to prepare chemicals. Cigarettes do nothing like this.

Two things that I think are important to remember are:
1) If you ban something people are addicted too, they WILL be angry and they may become irrational and/or violent in their withdrawal.

and

2) Just because you ban something doesn't make it dissappear. People will still grow and buy tobacco in the same way they do with pot. Pot is smoked as much or more than cigarettes are at my school. It's not that hard to get, and tobacco wouldn't be all that different. Add on the fact that very few countries will have banned tobacco, it would become very easy to smuggle it over borders. Just hop a plane to another country, go to a store, buy them and then come back.

Outright banning may actually cause more problems than tactful weening off of cigarettes.

Wean off, then ban. As for other countries not doing it? Well, most will. Eventually. Co-ordinated withdrawl is always best.

2awesome4apossum

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2006, 08:23:13 pm »
@Pyru: I wasn't being sarcastic with my comment on alcohol, however I'd disagree that it's fine in moderation.  Remember that "disease" called alcoholism that you don't find out about until after drink #1?

Pyru

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2006, 09:15:53 pm »
@Pyru: I wasn't being sarcastic with my comment on alcohol, however I'd disagree that it's fine in moderation.  Remember that "disease" called alcoholism that you don't find out about until after drink #1?

I know you weren't being sarcastic.

Alcohol really is fine in moderation; many alcoholic drinks contain helpful chemicals like anti-oxidants, and alcohol helps with things like bone density.

What about food, huh? That little problem called obesity that you learn about a little later? Or living. It's got a little problem called death. Never told about that, into you're well into it.
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2006, 10:53:33 pm »
  • Revan Does Not Care!
It's thier life and people should be able to do what ever they want with it. Let them deal with the consequences.
http://www.youtube.com/HarveyArtifex

Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

2awesome4apossum

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2006, 12:55:18 am »
Obesity isn't alcoholism, Pyru.

bran371

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2006, 08:38:22 pm »
It's thier life and people should be able to do what ever they want with it. Let them deal with the consequences.
Man, they are killing everybody with that smoke. I wouldn't care if they were doing it to just themselves, but they aren't. Stop trying to use that excuse.
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2006, 10:05:10 pm »
  • Revan Does Not Care!
Why should it be the government to ban smoking, a bar is not public property and if they1 want to people to smoke it's thier buisness. If you do not want to be around smoke then go somewhere else. YOU HAVE A CHOICE TO LEAVE! no one is making you go to a resturant that allows smoking. Smoking is less dangerous to have in public places then alcohol. Alcohol, pot and cocain effects people's judgement and inhabitions while tobacco does not but you people are worried about getting cancer from second hand smoke? To get cancer from second hand smoke you are going to have to be around a large amount each and every day and also you are going to have to be practicly right in the smoker's face.

Limey

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2006, 01:37:46 pm »
Smoking shouldn't be outlawed in bars... Those are the places people go to relax, have a drink, and if smoking helps them in that, let the bar be their place to smoke.  I think smoking indoors other than at bars should be out-lawed though, like at restraunts.  I'm not sure about outside though :/
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2006, 04:18:40 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
If you smoke. You die. It's that simple.

Now around other people, that causes second hand smoke disease, which is more deadly than for the acutal smoker himself.
Smoking shouldn't be outlawed in bars... Those are the places people go to relax, have a drink, and if smoking helps them in that, let the bar be their place to smoke.  I think smoking indoors other than at bars should be out-lawed though, like at restraunts.  I'm not sure about outside though :/
It's all psychological, that it allows them to "relax" its acutally raising there blood pressure which makes them more tense, beucase the nicotine has changed the way their brain works it gives them that relaxation.

Pyru

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2006, 04:30:15 pm »

The relaxation effect is feeding an addiction; it's not the nicotine calming them down, it's actually the lack of nicotine making them more nervous.

Besides, what about the health of people working bars? Regardless of whether or not people choose to work in those places, employers have a duty to provide safe working conditions for their staff, in terms of both short and long term effects to their health.
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2006, 04:31:33 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
True their. You shouldin't want to go to work everyday and have to breathe in smoke if you find it gross. I mean, that's not fair for the workers.

Pyru

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2006, 04:56:10 pm »
Regardless of whether or not they'd "want to", employers aren't allowed to. It's like workplaces with high noise levels, or jobs that involve heavy lifting. The employers are liable should something go wrong, regardless of who's choice it was to work there.
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2006, 05:39:49 pm »
  • Revan Does Not Care!
Banning tobacco and alcohol will never work as it's been proven over and over and over again.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 73 queries.